The San Antonio Crossmen

Rumor has Xmen moving to San Anton'. What do you think - if it actually does happen?  

313 members have voted

1. 1. For the Crossmen, this is a

• positive move.
    • negative move.
  2. 2. The San Antonio Crossmen would

• suddenly place better.
    • slowly place better.
    • not affect them competitively.
    • continue to drop.
  3. 3. If you had to say, the best reason for a Crossmen move would be

• no longer in YEA!
    • Texas kids.
    • Texas staff.
    • better weather.
    • better fundraising.
    • something else (other).

I'm thinking that the move will be a plus on all sides. At first, I don't see a gain in ranking, but rather a slow improvement--I hope I'm wrong there.

I'm considering making a donation to the Crossmen for the first native Texan vet of another finalist corps to join the Crossmen. Hmm...

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Texas is such rich fodder for corps…why has there not been a top corp from there for years…or the only top 12 corp was a transplant that died?

I know the myth of Texas…anyone recall that Lone Star Percussion, Regiment push into Texas starting back in1981 (or 80ish)

I do !!!!

And where they at now !!!!

Maybe band is enough, more so when your band may blow away this ‘new’ corp, all that money to step down…yeap, more logic blocks…told that there are open spots in smaller div1 and most div 2/3 because every wants to march a winner (when I thought opens spots were the definition of 2/3) – so why not send them a winner?

Why not the cadets to Texas?

I’d almost bet, if I were a betting man, more Texans sign up for Cadets next year than Crossmen…of course, YEA will dangle the promise of a Cadets spot after a year or 2 in Crossmen getting up to speed…but in a year or 2 YEA won’t care or let the kids in Cadets because they’ll have nothing to do with Crossmen

Fool you, what is it…5 time?

Edited by cowtown

If Texas is such rich fodder for corps…why has there not been a top corp from there for years…or the only top 12 corp was a transplant that died?

I know the myth of Texas…anyone recall that Lone Star Percussion, Regiment push into Texas starting back in1981 (or 80ish)

I do !!!!

Maybe band is enough, more so when your band may blow away this ‘new’ corp, all that money to step down…yeap, more logic blocks…told that there are open spots in smaller div1 and most div 2/3 because every wants to march a winner (when I thought opens spots were the definition of 2/3) – so why not send them a winner?

I’d almost bet, if I were a betting man, more Texans sign up for Cadets next year than Crossmen…of course, YEA will dangle the promise of a Cadets spot after a year or 2 in Crossmen getting up to speed…but in a year or 2 YEA won’t care or let the kids in Cadets because they’ll have nothing to do with Crossmen

What's that smell? Me thinks there is a troll lurking about! :feednotroll:

I don't think he's trolling at all... He raises some good points, whether or not you agree with any of them.

Please don't blame Texas for him. I hope he is not from Cowtown!

I do !!!!

Ah, once again, time to drag out this particular equine carcass and give it a few whacks. The reason is threefold: 1) by the time of move-ins, it's sickeningly hot here, although this is probably the least reason. 2) Fundraising for a new organization not connected to a school is notoriously difficult. The waiting list for getting the OK for bingo is multiple years long, and many other options corps normally might pursue in that same vein are illegal (at least for the time being; if Kinky Friedman wins the gubernatorial race, look out). 3) So many kids down here are too high and mighty to be involved in a new program; they only want to be in a proven winning program. Those that go to a lesser corps (e.g., the sudden burgeoning of Capital Regiment with Texas kids in 01) usually go there because that's where their band directors teach during the summer. Of course, this is an issue to some extent everywhere, but especially down here. It's hard to convince kids in huge successful marching bands that they should come march for a corps that hasn't made finals yet, or that's in a lower division.

It will be intriguing to see if this succeeds; I'd bet they have a better run of it than many other corps have, but I wouldn't put all my money out just yet, what with the track record of this state and drum corps. That does, however, put four currently existing corps (Frontier, Revolution, Crossmen and Gulf Coast Sound) and two start-up corps (Austin Stars and the mini-corps World Gone Mad) in Texas. We have enough corps now to actually put some judged shows on down here, assuming we keep working for the success of the other corps in the state the way we have the last few years.

Removed out of respect for Crossmen alumni, members, and voluteers...

Edited by SCVsopAaron

A little OT:

Hey Drumcat, this in response to the kids being a large part or not of the sucess of a corps. I think once the top echelon is in place, the better kids are going to run there. See BD, Cadets, Cavies, PR, etc.

Edited by ravedodger