Heaviest instruments CARRIED? Drums AND brass

Now as a brass player I would have to say depending on the the position you are carrying it in can really make the difference. OK first off all soprano and mellophone players sorry you will never have any room to complain. As for the big boys in brass, baritones you make a good third behind contras and euphs. Contras are just a beast no matter which way you work it. Having to flip the horn at the same speed of someone carrying a sop is quite the adventure. but by far one of the coolest things to watch. Contras will just beat you in many different ways. If you are carrying the horn in carrying (CHOP) position imagine all of that weight on your arms and hands, then the rest of your upper body has to adjust as you try to carry this wonderful piece of equipment. This is really painful during basics when your instructor decides to rant on and on and on and on and on and on and he forgets that he has everyone up in chop position. Now Euphs in playing position is very painful because of the design of the horn. the bell is way out there and the horn is not balanced the way it should be. I am a contra person, I would have to say Euph's and contras are equal and Iw ould never say one is more painful than the other.

Percussion-I always hold mutual respect for the big basses and the tenors because of how they can pull on the body because the weight is out in front of you.

Which is best. Anyone who can carry a big insturment and make it look like it is light as feather, you are the best. :blink:

Shannon

• Like 1

Based on my personal experience, holding a contrabass at the "carry" position, while not the heaviest, is the most difficult.

If done the way it is supposed to be done, all 26+ pounds of the horn will be supported by the arms at approx 6 to 8 inches away from the body.

just my 2 cents.

Shane

Edited by fireshane

Let's consider for a momemt that all the instruments are carried in the same manner.

If you mount a euphonium on a vest carrier, or you hold a 32" bass in front of you.

Just trying to mix it up a bit.

In any case, the heaviest is still the vibraphone at 65#.

some corps use cymbals that are light as a feather. scv and magic come to mind. on the heavy end you have colts and SW.

bring back the wooden handles!

There are two different things going on here:

1) The actual weight of the instrument and

2) how the instrument is carried.

A simple static engineering equation dealing with work will solve 2) or Work = Force x Distance.

So the center of gravity of 35 pound contra sitting on one's should would require less work to hold up than the center of gravity of a 32" cymbal or bottom bass.

Wait...a thirty two inch cymbal? Do they even make those, or have ever made those? I snooped around and could find 20" cymbals for sale at the largest. I can't even fathom 32"...that would be close to three feet in diameter!?

Has anyone ever marched cymbals that big? If so...yeesh. You couldn't do any visuals with it for fear of breaking your wrist...

Wait...a thirty two inch cymbal? Do they even make those, or have ever made those? I snooped around and could find 20" cymbals for sale at the largest. I can't even fathom 32"...that would be close to three feet in diameter!?

Has anyone ever marched cymbals that big? If so...yeesh. You couldn't do any visuals with it for fear of breaking your wrist...

I was just using that as an example. I'm not a percussionist so I don't know what the maximum that is used for marching cymbals.

i have to say contra sux at chop but overall....throught the whole rehearsal day.......id rather have that than a euph......

with the horn in playing postion....the muscles lose the acid that makes them work...creating excruciating pain.

and yes...you use one your left hand only...the right is for playing!