Heaviest instruments CARRIED? Drums AND brass

The Blue Devils original "North Drum" Triples, and Spirit's marching double side/flip keyboard were the heaviest instruments I have ever tried.....you have also forgotten marching timpani......I am sure alot of people with bad backs now who used to lug around a 29"......I saw a photo of a guy from 27th wearing "marching chimes".....PAIN!

GB

The North Drums were tanks and the guys that carried them were big boys.When i was with Canton in 78 WE had a set of concert vibs that we just took the legs off it and the guy that carried it used ice every night.The 70's was a lot of experiments and if you could put a strap around it you had someone who would try to carry it.

well ive done baritone 2 years, first year id say i did about 75% left hand, 25% right hand, but last year, our visual tech told us not to use our pinky rings anymore, so that was like 95% left there, and man did it suck learning how to snap it without using a pinky ring...

That's one mean vis tech to not allow you to use the octave key. :P

Dang, just remembered something from the Senior side in 1975. Caballeros had four guys each carrying a steel drum around the field. They were used like bells and you heard them almost all show.

Not to be outdone, Rhode Island Matadors (defunct Sr corps :( ) had four guys who each carried TWO steel drums. Yeah, 1975 = no pit. Pre-season exhibition at Mount Carmel, PA either one guys back went out or the straps holding up the steel drums broke and he just crumpled up on the front sideline. Happened just as the corps was setting up for concert. I was standing 20 feet away and could see a bunch of people trying to figure how they could get the poor bastich out of that contraption. Part of the rigging was a steel post coming out of the front of each drum. Then a pair of straps went over the shoulders to the top of the posts. Hurts thinking about it.....

No idea of the weight involoved.

Lots of heavy stuff out there in the pre-pit days. check out 27th's marching chimes, though.

someone have a picture?

Lots of heavy stuff out there in the pre-pit days. check out 27th's marching chimes, though.

someone have a picture?

Think 1974 Troopers had them too. Great second drum solo of "Tubular Bells" from Exorcist movie.

There are two different things going on here:

1) The actual weight of the instrument and

2) how the instrument is carried.

A simple static engineering equation dealing with work will solve 2) or Work = Force x Distance.

So the center of gravity of 35 pound contra sitting on one's should would require less work to hold up than the center of gravity of a 32" cymbal or bottom bass.

I have to call you out on this...you make a valid point, but you have used and equation that has both static and dynamic uses improperly.

Work = Force x Distance: Average force exerted on a moving object through a distance. This is the dynamic equation. The location of the instrument relative to the player's body has no bearing on this. Moving a 35 pound contra and a 35 pound bass drum over 15 yards would require the same amount of "work". Unless, of course, you wanted to factor in the drag coefficients of each instrument...but you would have to be moving very fast, or in severe winds for this to make any difference.

Moment = Force x Distance: This equation is static. This is the one that tells you how much your back muscles have to resist the bending of your spine due to the COG of the instrument being offset from your body.

Both equations yield values whose units are similar in dimension i.e. in-lbs, N-m etc, but the dynamic equation gives units of energy, whereas the static equation gives units of moment, or torque.

I have to call you out on this...you make a valid point, but you have used and equation that has both static and dynamic uses improperly.

Work = Force x Distance: Average force exerted on a moving object through a distance. This is the dynamic equation. The location of the instrument relative to the player's body has no bearing on this. Moving a 35 pound contra and a 35 pound bass drum over 15 yards would require the same amount of "work". Unless, of course, you wanted to factor in the drag coefficients of each instrument...but you would have to be moving very fast, or in severe winds for this to make any difference.

Moment = Force x Distance: This equation is static. This is the one that tells you how much your back muscles have to resist the bending of your spine due to the COG of the instrument being offset from your body.

Both equations yield values whose units are similar in dimension i.e. in-lbs, N-m etc, but the dynamic equation gives units of energy, whereas the static equation gives units of moment, or torque.

WOOOT for engineers! :P

One must not forget the wearing of the 65 pound triple congas of Seneca Optimists

1977 and 78. At the end of the show they even fell to their knees with them on.

(Of course the unhooked to stand up).