Heaviest instruments CARRIED? Drums AND brass

For anyone who says that all the weight of a baritone or euphonium should be held with the left hand, I expect they either were in high brass or did a #### of a lot more work than they needed to. Except for playing runs, or other segments which required a lot of finger dexterity, I always had the weight about 3/5 left hand, 2/5 right hand. When it got to the faster parts, I would move the weight to my left hand, but for anything else, the weight was distributed. Every tech or caption head I've ever talked to says that holding all the weight with just the left hand is simply impractical.

Which corps did you march? And please tell me you didn't curl your right thumb around the leadpipe.

It's weird to say this, but I agree with cire on this matter. Maybe there's a tiny bit of support from the right hand, just based on the fact that your right thumb is pressed up against the valve casing, but handling any bell-front brass instrument is almost exclusively a left-handed affair.

Oh, and I played baritone.

Edited by Jayzer

For anyone who says that all the weight of a baritone or euphonium should be held with the left hand, I expect they either were in high brass or did a #### of a lot more work than they needed to. Except for playing runs, or other segments which required a lot of finger dexterity, I always had the weight about 3/5 left hand, 2/5 right hand. When it got to the faster parts, I would move the weight to my left hand, but for anything else, the weight was distributed. Every tech or caption head I've ever talked to says that holding all the weight with just the left hand is simply impractical.

In short, all low brass sucks to hold.

I've never marched percussion, so I can't speak for that, but cymbals and tenors seem like they would have a difficult time.

Yeah, what corps did you march? I started off in DivI and we definately only used our left hands. There were many times during camps where we had to put our right arms at our sides and hold up the euphs for long periods of times.

Yeah....the percussion instruments definitely weigh more then a lot of the brass...but you got to rest them on your shoulder...a euphonium is a BEAST.

My ageout year I had this giant euphonium that had been a 2 valve and was converted into a 3 valve with trombone parts (dont ask)...the lower register sounded FANTASTIC...but it was the heaviest horn in the entire line.

Some of the newer baritones and euphoniums and have been designed to be more compact so that the weight is better distributed...but it still takes a lot of mental toughness.

I guess its one of those things where the grass is always greener...

I would imagine both Tennors and Cymbals would be a royal pain, thankfully I'm a brass person so I've never marched either at any level. To anyone that marched Tymps back in the day, I salute you, those must have been absolute monsters to work with.

Everything Eric and quite a few others have said about the Euph/Baritone is spot on. About the only time the horn wasn't exclusively supported in my left hand was when I was at carry. Basically if you're not supporting it exclusively with your left hand you're doing it wrong and are quite possibly causing damage to the horn in the process. They can be absolute beasts (especially some of the older models) but as someone that's marched Euph for 4 years in DCI and 1 in DCA I can say it's simply a matter of mind over matter.

Edited by d_grey

I'd rank then this way. And by the way, on Kanstul horns, Mellos are lighter than the sops. Thinner metal I guess. I don't know, but they had sops at 3.5 and mellos at 3 lbs. Anywho, This is my list based on weight and difficulty since i've held all of them as a visual instructor, course I never actually had to march most of them for a show, so i'm going on 5% experience on the various horns. And i'm also distinguishing between euphonium and baritone, if you've marched both, you would too.

Contra (all styles and makes but 3quarter tubas, they don't count. :-P)

Bass5

Bass4

Euhponium

Tenors

Bass3

Bass2

Baritone

Snare

Bass one

Soprano

Mellophone

Flugal Horn

Gaurd (.... just kidding)

Thats my list based on having "carried" every instrument for teaching and self-educational purposes. Course i've also done this with all woodwind too, but this is drum corps so its not important.

There are two different things going on here:

1) The actual weight of the instrument and

2) how the instrument is carried.

A simple static engineering equation dealing with work will solve 2) or Work = Force x Distance.

So the center of gravity of 35 pound contra sitting on one's should would require less work to hold up than the center of gravity of a 32" cymbal or bottom bass.

....But cyms, each arm has it's own weight and you can't let the cyms touch each other.

Huh? I thought the whole point was to make them touch eachother!!!!