Is drum corps marching band?

Poll  

303 members have voted

1. 1. Is drum corps marching band?

• Yes
    • No

Why does it need to be seperated? I thought it already was.

I've seen marching band drumlines that are better than top 12 corps lines.

This just points out the arrogance of some corps people. Would you think the same if you found out he played first trumpet for Marion Catholic, Ronald Reagan or Carmel? There are phenomonal players out there that never march corps and to judge someone's playing ability by being in a marching band or a drum corps is elitist at best. How many musicians just do marching band or drum corps? Very few. Most play in orchestras or concert bands, or have for a significant point in their playing careers.

Yes, I would think the same. I don't care how good the marching band is, drum corps has been and will be a different animal until there are marching bands that meet outside of school, work 12-hour days for more than 1 or 2 weeks out of the year and go on 3-week tours in the summer. My "mediocre" comment is directed at those people who shrug off the drum corps experience as being the same as what they did when they were in high school and/or college. I'm aware of my generalization, but it seems that people who are ignorant of drum corps are the people that are usually quick to jump on the "oh I know drum corps because I was in marching band" wagon. And they're usually the mediocre trumpet players. B)

Now if the marching band person indicates an awareness of drum corps and can offer an interesting comparison/contrast of the two types of marching musical groups, potentially leading to engaging conversation on the subject, I can easily drop my prejudice of said marching band person. There, I've admitted I am prejudiced, but at least I'm flexible.

By the way, the only one of those band names that means something to me is Marion Catholic, and I'm not even sure why. I think it's because they were kinda famous for looking a lot like the Garfield Cadets back in the 80's or something.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, that is not what it's like at all.

It's like saying all apples are fruit, but not all fruit are apples.

Marching band is a less specific term

You're wrong and mis-identifying the formula. The statement implies direct connection, exact sameness.

A IS B, but B isn't A

They both can't be true.

I was referring back to the time when "Leave It To Beaver" was on TV. Not the present! There are currently MANY marching bands that are wicked good. Forty years ago, it was a rare thing to see ANY marching band that even came close to a good drum corps. Thanks, largely to drum corps vets, for the changes through the years to bands, so they are no longer horrible.

Aww, that's cute. Except for the part where you insult Drum Corps biggest recruiting base. Why don't people understand that Drum Corps can stand on it's own merits, without bashing marching band?

Agreed, marching band is what eventually brought me to Drum Corps.

Man, it used to be so simple to differentiate between corps and bands. Anyone remember when "Leave It To Beaver" was on TV?

the Beaver-" W-Wally? What are those guys doin' over there on that football field?"

Wally- "Gee Beaver, that's the high school marching band!"

the Beaver- "Well, who are those OTHER guys marching on the OTHER football field?"

Wally- "Well, I don't know Beave. Let's ask Dad.

Cut to Cleaver's kitchen.....

Ward Cleaver- "Boys, that's a drum and bugle corps! In fact, I used to march with them back when I was just about your age, Wally."

the Beaver- "So, how come you didn't march with the high school band dad?"

Wally- "Don't be so stupid Beave....marching bands SUCK!"

Ward Cleaver- "That's right, Wally. Let this be a lesson to you Beaver. March drum corps."

the Beaver- "Yeah, marching band SUCKS!"

Fade to Alka-Seltzer commercial.

:P b**bs

:lol:

That was awesome. :)

The University of North Texas

East Tennessee State University

James Madison University

Marcus High School

Nogales High School

Dobyns-Bennett High School

Hilliard Darby High School

Preface: I know essentially nothing about drumming.

However, I doubt those places have the book a drum corps does, and I know that they don't have the drill requirements that a drum corps line will.

I would also like to add that groups that show up to play drunk are unlikely to be as good as a drum corps. And at least one of those on your list is guilty as charged.

anyway... it's funny that so many of you are wrong. As of now, roughly 140. This is not a debate, it is a fact. Drum Corps is a subset of marching band.

Yes, I would think the same. I don't care how good the marching band is, drum corps has been and will be a different animal until there are marching bands that meet outside of school, work 12-hour days for more than 1 or 2 weeks out of the year and go on 3-week tours in the summer. My "mediocre" comment is directed at those people who shrug off the drum corps experience as being the same as what they did when they were in high school and/or college. I'm aware of my generalization, but it seems that people who are ignorant of drum corps are the people that are usually quick to jump on the "oh I know drum corps because I was in marching band" wagon. And they're usually the mediocre trumpet players. B)

Now if the marching band person indicates an awareness of drum corps and can offer an interesting comparison/contrast of the two types of marching musical groups, potentially leading to engaging conversation on the subject, I can easily drop my prejudice of said marching band person. There, I've admitted I am prejudiced, but at least I'm flexible.

By the way, the only one of those band names that means something to me is Marion Catholic, and I'm not even sure why. I think it's because they were kinda famous for looking a lot like the Garfield Cadets back in the 80's or something.

So your argument is that a drum corps practices more and the members commit more time? I agree. However, that does not change the basic activity. All that means is that the participant has more time to give, or chooses to make time. The activity itself isn't what we are lauding here, it's the people and experience.

Preface: I know essentially nothing about drumming.

However, I doubt those places have the book a drum corps does, and I know that they don't have the drill requirements that a drum corps line will.

I would also like to add that groups that show up to play drunk are unlikely to be as good as a drum corps. And at least one of those on your list is guilty as charged.

anyway... it's funny that so many of you are wrong. As of now, roughly 140. This is not a debate, it is a fact. Drum Corps is a subset of marching band.

You should check out the line from North Texas. They could easily place in the top five. Guys from these lines also march corps. This just shows how entertwined these activities are.

You're wrong and mis-identifying the formula. The statement implies direct connection, exact sameness.

A IS B, but B isn't A

They both can't be true.

No, you are wrong. Go take a introductory logic course and come back.

Drum corps is a more specific type of marching band.

There are high school marching bands, college marching bands, big10 style, high stepping, drum corps, etc.

By you logic a high stepping band is not a marching band because not all marching bands are high stepping bands.

Edited by dbc03

What's the big deal? Why are people so insecure with our activity that they can't accept that when you get right down to it it's a band marching around on a field

Because in our minds "drum & bugle corps" is something COOL, with a "hip" connotation.

"Marching band" however, in our culture, carries a dorky and lame connotation.

It's always been easier to explain drum corps to laypersons as something being outside the realm of simple "marching band".

Plus, typically the amount of time put into a show to craft is has always produced more powerful results in drum corps as opposed to a marching band season that only lasts a couple months, hence much of the difference in connotation.