Why Not?!

Personally, it messes up my system. You're SO used to being hydrated with all the water given, when you load up on that sugar and sutff, I ALWAYS felt like crud the next day. Which is whyt he first and last time I drank it on tour happened to be that bucket of soda the the Alamodome BBQ.

You mean this? :P

Summer2005011.jpg

It's an annual tradition. I buy a bucket of soda [after performing] at the BBQ place near the Alamodome. I feel no guilt because the next day is usally a free day. Other than that, I refuse to drink soda during tour.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even back in 1982-1983 we couldn't drink soda during a day of rehearsal. It was OK, however, to drink some on your time off. I didn't fully understand, or appreciate, it at the time, but I now try to limit myself even when practicing at home for a couple of hours. The only real problem back then is that the corps replaced the soda with some kind of goopy sports drink, so I just stuck with water, (which, of course, is essential to drink anyway).

Bob Blomberg

Geneseo Knights, '79-'83

Kilties, '01-'02, '04-'05

Bridgemen, '06

Edited by vibraphonusrex

Yep, and I know plenty of people who smoked on tour and did fine with it. They were old enough to make that decision and nobody had the right to tell them they couldn't do it.

I was told to stop one year and not the other year. Take a guess which season I did better with chops wise?

The year I was alowed to smoke.

I was told to stop one year and not the other year. Take a guess which season I did better with chops wise?

The year I was alowed to smoke.

OK. Now go for a resperatory radiology exam. Take a deep breath and hold it while they shoot, then look at the image. If it's black there's a problem, mostly caused by the tar in the paper, and usually takes between 7 and 10 years to clear in order to rid the threat of lung cancer. If nobody believes me, just ask your friendly neighborhood doctor.

Cramping is Cooooooooooool.

:spit:

Has anyone cramped up from drinking soda?

When I was a member, I just don't remember soda being available alot. I drank lots of water, but I drank way more juice. Probably wasn't good for me either (sugar), but sometimes I would be so thristy I would drink 4-5 cups of lemonaide and not be able to finish my lunch.

p.s. This was before the days of the personal water cooler at practice, imagine that.

I'm actually just reiterating what someone on our brass staff told us. Is this untrue?

i think its not true (that soda is bad for CHOPS). I say this because one of my prior private teachers (who plays with Canadian Brass) told me that if your chops are feeling reaaly really swollen and blown out, and you HAVE TO play (yes ,...i said HAVE TO) that soaking your chops in soda for a few minutes takes the swelling down/ and your chops will work well again, the carbonation does it, and it burns PRETTY BAD for a while. Ive tried it quite a few times....and it actually did work really well.

hmmm, hopefully this wasnt a secret

There were some people on tour that drank like two sodas a day. We don't have rules against, but in general soda's bad for you. It's a good first step in keeping the drum corps weight off :)