Drum Corps vs Grad School

jm615

There comes a time when you must give up the things of childhood and move on into life. Now's the time.

<**>

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even if you did have the option to go to grad school in the fall, I would have still voted to march. It seems like the older crowd are all about "moving on with your life", but in the long run, what's another year? My ageout summer (I actually moved into Spring Training 12 hours after graduation) was what helped me to figure out what I wanted to do with the rest of my life. I'm in my 2nd year of medical school, and I don't regret my decision to march instead of trying to get a real job.

Good luck at Phantom! They have some great people out there!

If you limit your choices only to what seems possible or reasonable, you disconnect yourself from what you truly want, and all that is left is a compromise.

Never regret something that once made you smile. While we stop to think, we often miss our opportunity.

There comes a time when you must give up the things of childhood and move on into life. Now's the time.

<**>

Actually, he's right. One can't be a kid forever. I'm not sure if "now's the time" for the OP, but it's close.

OP, what corps would you be marching for your ageout?

Hi....I am curious as to why faculty are discouraging you spending your summer as you wish with drum corps.....are they concerned about your health, fatigue, embouchere? What are their concerns, and are they valid? If they are "threatening" in any matter regarding drum corps participation, perhaps you should consider a different grad school.....in some places, some profs haven't seen a drum corps in 30 years, and don't understand that things are a bit different now.....

If you feel your health will hold up for a summer of drum corps, then you should do it....it's your last shot. On the other hand, if you feel that doing corps will possibly cause health issues, then I would take the advise of your faculty. I can also say that most corps' have staff that can be tolerant of certain health issues.....I was highly asthmatic when I marched....occassionally I would get an attack that would last most of the night, and thus I was wiped out in the morning from lack of sleep and being medicated.....they would allow me to sleep late and to rehearse as soon as I felt up to it. They would also allow me to leave rehearsal when I felt a problem coming on. I didn't abuse this priviledge, and they knew that if I was sitting out, whether it was in the morning or in the middle of a bad heat period, they knew why, and that I would be back as soon as possible.

Only you know what your health situation is....more than faculty, you may wish to consult with your physician....if he gives the green light, then I would march.....red light, stay at home. I actually started grad school during a summer that I was teaching a major corps.....I did have to miss part of 1st tour to do school...then I flew in. But, all worked out, and my "drum corps stamina" gave me the energy to do a 2 year graduate program in 10 months. (Although I am not sure if I would try that extreme again). I did miss a rehearsal (lol) to go to my graduate degree ceremony, and showed up the next day with my pointy hat and tassle on!

Good luck!

GB

I would say march for a different reason (I know the issue is solved, but...).

Grad school really should come after spending some time in the work force. Even law school would be a better experieince if you can bring some reality to the classroom. Medical school...I don't know.

A lot of professors have never left campus and have an unrealistic view of the world. Had they left the sheltered life of academia, they would encourage students to leave for a bit before coming back.

I teach future cops and other criminal justice professionals, and they would be better served by maturing and gaining life experience that leads to a more empathetic attitude. Experience almost alwas trumps education alone.

Personally, I had to give this a lot of thought as well. I get the extra year, which I am really happy about, but at the same time, I would have to do grade school that fall. I know it will be way too much for me to handle because of money. (I live in the Philadelphia area and I want to go to grad school in Boston)

Earlier this year, I had my mind set on not marching my age out. As of right now, I do not intend on following through with my plans. I want to march my age out because it's a once in a life time chance. You never get that back.

I would look into what type of plan you will be going into - I think that will help sway your choice a lot. For me, I can get my Master's in one year if I am a full time student. I am willing to give up a year to work and then go to school just to march my age out. Also, talk to your parents. Even if you do not want to! It was hard for me, but my mom understands and she is behind me!

Hope all works out! :)