Madison Scouts

Madison Scouts hire Mark Dunton as new corps director.

From DCI.org

http://www.dci.org/news/news.cfm?news_id=d...32-1da6e5ab8a1d

Edited by mbui

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Congrats Mark!

I marched with him from 1997-1999 and he is a class act! Very talented musician, wonderful human being, and going to make one #### of a corps director!

I am proud to say that I marched with Mark and that I hope his tenure with the corps will be long and fulfilling as I am sure it will be!

####, between Jeff Spanos and Mark Dunton, I have total confidence in the direction the organization is about to move in!

MYNWA

<edited for filter circumvention: ds>

Regardless of The Academy winning Div II this year, how does Mark Dunton's experience as a visual staff member there (not even caption head) make him now the best choice as corp director of what SHOULD be a top 6 corps? Nothing against Mr. Dunton, but I'm just not seeing the experience here to give me that warm, fuzzy feeling that this will help Madison reclaim its former glory in the near future.

Anyone know more about Mark and his experience/history in drum corps?

Regardless of The Academy winning Div II this year, how does Mark Dunton's experience as a visual staff member there (not even caption head) make him now the best choice as corp director of what SHOULD be a top 6 corps? Nothing against Mr. Dunton, but I'm just not seeing the experience here to give me that warm, fuzzy feeling that this will help Madison reclaim its former glory in the near future.

Anyone know more about Mark and his experience/history in drum corps?

Because teaching visual and running a corps are so far apart from the skills needed, a director doesn't need to be schooled in the finest points of teaching. Not many directors could teach a flam-5 or a toss 6, but that in no way makes them unqualified. They have to understand the tuition, but not the method.

Then it's do you have a practical-"MBA" experience...

Mark is a music ed major who did a great job teaching band in Waconia, Minnesota. He is also an alumnus of the Madison Scouts having marched with the corps from 1997-2000.

I would simply trust and see what happens. He is a smart guy. The guys will love marching with him as director. He will surround himself with a staff that is not only wonderful, but talented too, and who knows, some of the caption heads may not have even been caption heads before.

Edited by toddschultz

Gee wiz but people are so touchy here. Regardless of your insecurities and immaturities, thanks for the little bit of additional helpful information that was supplied about Mark's past. I can't believe that the Madison announcement didn't even mention the fact that he is an alumnis of the Scouts!!! That has to be one of the worst announcements about a new director and his history/experience I have EVER read.

I didn't interprit marshamello as criticizing per say, but her question was bound to surface sooner or later.

The one thing I have noticed about drum corps is that when a NAME goes to any corps to become a caption head, instructor or director, everyone

is thinking "oh man... their savior has arrived! They will be great!" ... which is not always the case. All the great ones "cut their teeth" by starting somewhere

as a relative unknown that someone believed in.

Great names are built through experience and proving themselves over a long period of time. Just because someone we haven't ALL heard of isn't

the person named here as Madison corps director doesn't mean he won't be the next great name down the road.

I have total confidence this was a well thought out selection, and we've already seen a good post here about Mark Dunton from someone who obviously knows him.

Best wishes and great success to Mark Dunton !!! ^OO^

Sorry for the whining folks, I took it out

Edited by toddschultz