Madison Scouts

Gee wiz but people are so touchy here. Regardless of your insecurities and immaturities, thanks for the little bit of additional helpful information that was supplied about Mark's past. I can't believe that the Madison announcement didn't even mention the fact that he is an alumnis of the Scouts!!! That has to be one of the worst announcements about a new director and his history/experience I have EVER read.

ya, I think he was over-reacting a bit. I understand your question, and I believe it to be valid. A lot of Scouts alums have been on the defensive here lately, and I can't say it isn't totally unwarranted. Regardless of that, I know Mark to be a very level-headed guy. I stood outside Camp Randall talking with him and his older brother (who I marched with)...having a very in-depth conversation about the state of the corps, the state of the alumni involvement, and the state of the activity altogether. I think the best answer to your question is to remind everyone that the Corps Director is not the Program Coordinator. The Corps Director is responsible for managing the staff, the members, and the day-to-day activities of the corps. This doesn't necessarily mean that he'll be running rehearsals or anything. He's a responsible guy who's on a very even keel. It seems to me that he'll be the kind of guy who will work very well with a staff...even a staff who has MUCH more experience in the activity that he does. He's not egotistical and he's the kind of guy who listens. For what it's worth, I'm of the opinion he will do very well in the position. I hope that answers your question. :D

Edited by BigBadMadMan

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well played. Call me immature and insecure. That's fine and dandy. I find it odd though that you are questioning my maturity, my feeling of security, and you simply walk into an open forum, make comments about a persons experience, criticize the posting of the Madison Scouts, and you do not have a single ounce of where you have come from, or the experience you have.

Now, I do not have the time, energy, or the care enough to start a flame war over this topic with you, so I will leave it as this:

First, if you are going to criticize and individual or an organization on how they do things because you read news on DCP and it did not live up to your standards, seek your info elsewhere. Of all places for facts about things in drum corps, first off, DCP may not be the best place to go, considering each corps will make an OFFICIAL annoucement before news heard on DCP is FACT.

Second, please do not call me insecure and imature if I am simply calling you out for criticizing someone on their standards or credentials.

I was simply answering your rant about Mark's experience.

Third, do not criticize the Madison Scouts for not listing that Mark is an alumni because that is something that they are not required to do. If a groupd listed every bit of history of an individual they would simply be spouting off information that people will learn when and if they need to.

And last, if you were that concerned over Mark, and his abilities, which are many, do a little research and do not simply use a gossip column as your only source of information.

A bit defensive aren't we? I read nothing in Marshamello's post that was crtical of Mark Dunton. He had the same response that many of us had...that being "who is Mark Dunton?" That is not being critical. I'm sure that is a question

that even several former Scouts and several returning (hopefully) Scouts probably have.

It was the Madison Scouts that presented a Press Release that did not go into detail on Mark Dunton's background. That

is of course their right to do so, but believe it or not, most people of who read DCP or DCI.org (where the Scouts sent the

PR) would be interested in knowing something about the new director of one of the most honored corps in DCI history.

Yes, the Scouts BoD can release the news however they choose, but I invite you to compare their Press Release of the new director to that of other recent Press Releases (such as Phantom's new director or Cavalier's director becoming a

full time position) and you might see that an opportunity may have been missed to be a little more informative to those

that are interested in or care about the Scouts.

And did you really need to knock DCP in your reply?

I'm sure I am one of just THOUSANDS of Scouts fans that wish Mark Dunton an outstanding career as corps director of our favorite drum corps...the Madison Scouts!

The scouts are gaining my old band director. I was honored to be able to march 6 seasons with him as director/visual designerand honored to be able to be there when he made the announcement. Waconia is losing a legend and the Scouts are gaining some major talent.

He's got some major talent. I mean...I can't even begin to describe it. Never ending ideas, etc., etc., etc. I still can't believe it. Congrats Dunton!

First off I was not knocking DCP, I was simply saying that I do not think anyone should use this as their first source for corps news because in my opinion it is not official on a website that is not OFFICIAL, which last I checked it wasn't.

The DCP front page is an official source of news submitted by various corps as well as pulled from official corps websites. Also, the announcement forums contain official posts from various corps as well.

Mark is an amazing educator, motivator, and will do an awesome job. I have had the pleasure to have worked with him as well as get to know him, and I am very confident he will bring a youthfull charge to the organization.

Mark big congrats!!!!!!!!

Anthony

Ok, I obviously struck a nerve with someone.

Sorry if I offended anyone about the officialness of DCP, my bad.

Edited by toddschultz

Well, I don't know Mark, but from what everyone says, he sounds like a great guy. The fact that Mr. Spanos

hired him for the position gives me alot of confindence. Good luck Mark and congratulations!

Edited by madalumni

I think everyone should stop thinkin about what someone HASNT done when they get these titles, but what they HAVE done.

sounds to me like this dude is gonna make it rock! Alumus, talented, and his other work was pretty sweet.

best of luck this year Scouts!

Do 1997 show again!!

I have no real reason other than that it was just a killer show ! lol

t

Mark is a great teacher, totally PASSIONATE about the Scouts, was an excellent instructor to me, and an all-around good person.

I know he'll bring his best to the organization.

Congrats!