The Numbers Continue to Fall

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There were 10 (ECJ, Spartans, AA, OC, Surf, BDB, SCVC, Memphis, Teal, Colt Cadets) that competed in 2006 and 11 if you include Jubal.

Two other corps, Fever and Impulse, competed in Div. III this year but they have been pretty consistant in Div. II for the last couple of years.

What would be more interesting as a statistic to me is the number of corps that went to finals over the last ten years. If a corps isn't healthy enough to do that, we're comparing apples and oranges. I dare say that 396 corps did not compete at the 1976 Finals. It wasn't 80% of that, as we're dealing with here. Can anyone say we have more or fewer corps going to finals?

Sorry to bring a quote from page 1, but...

I think that one of the main reasons for a drop in the number of 15-21 age corps is the fact that the "summer" gets shorter and shorter. With the number of school systems going to year round schooling and those that aren't creeping closer and closer to July starting dates, a lot of kids can't participate in the activity without at least the last week of your overlapping with school. *snip*

Exactly. I won't be able to go to certain corps until after I graduate, simply because I would have to miss too many days of school. My school year doesn't end until June 10th this year. I would have to miss about 15 days of school just for movein, and early exams are not allowed to be taken before a week before they're given. That's not counting the Fridays I would have to miss to go to camps, and as well as other unexpected absences; last year I got the flu and was out for 4 days. It doesn't help that the reigning principal is not a big fan of fine arts programs.

Not to mention I only get about 5 or 6 days after finals before the '07-'08 school year begins.

I would love to audition for either Phantom or Cavaliers, but due to my schedule I'll have to wait a few years.

Happily, I'm very content with my current corps. :)

Sorry to bring a quote from page 1, but...

Exactly. I won't be able to go to certain corps until after I graduate, simply because I would have to miss too many days of school. My school year doesn't end until June 10th this year. I would have to miss about 15 days of school just for movein, and early exams are not allowed to be taken before a week before they're given. That's not counting the Fridays I would have to miss to go to camps, and as well as other unexpected absences; last year I got the flu and was out for 4 days. It doesn't help that the reigning principal is not a big fan of fine arts programs.

Not to mention I only get about 5 or 6 days after finals before the '07-'08 school year begins.

I would love to audition for either Phantom or Cavaliers, but due to my schedule I'll have to wait a few years.

Happily, I'm very content with my current corps. :)

You've also unwittingly explained why smaller corps do indeed have problems. Talent, with age and the associated independence, allows for comfort to travel. Thus, the corps you're in at 16 years old needs to be near mommy & daddy. The corps you're in at 20, well, thanks, but I can get around.

Thus, you get talent concentrated, and corps who would once field those kids that started at 16 and stuck around 5 seasons replaced by, you guessed it, the chase for more 16 year olds.

How many corps over the years said to themselves that they "need to get big" and to attract that older talent, and went under in the process? How many simply churned out kids that moved on to higher ranked corps? Too many to count.

If you want to redistribute and grow corps, you have to prevent kids like this from thinking like this. Good luck. If you come up with the answer, let everyone know. No one has yet.

Well, I personally want to move on to a higher placed corps simply because of the audience that a top Div I corps gets. I love the corps I was in over the summer, but it was kind of disheartening to have to perform finals at 10 am, and have what looked to be only a few people in the stands to witness our last and best show of the season. My best experiences were at smaller shows during tour, where the stands were packed, and the crowd went nuts.

I enjoy seeing people enjoy my show, it's as simple as that.

If the corps I'm in got a better crowd, I would stick around. But I want to go on to a bigger corps that more people will watch. Most audience members over the summer who I spoke to in passing thought that our show was every bit as entertaining, if not more so, then many top Div I's. But not many people are going to get up at 8 am to get to the stadium and see some Div II/III corps. When many people don't even show up for Div I finals until the top 6, how are Div II/III finals supposed to compete?

Don't blame me and other members who want to move to higher corps. Blame the lack of an audience we get, and the recurring screwing over of Div II/III's that DCI has going on. I'm in a performing ensemble, and I happen to enjoy performing for people. If no one comes to see my show, I want to go somewhere where it will be seen.

Edited by flashofthunder