The Drum Corps Activity is Healthier Than Ever!

• Replies 435
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate myself for returning to this thread, (go ahead laugh), and I apologize because it is off the topic of the original post.

However, thinking back to the old shows. Why didn't we do a show like they do now? Why didn't we have an enormous pit section instead of making all those feeble marchers back then do a drill wearing a large tympani with equal counter-weights on their backs, or a set of bells, or emormous toms, or carry, (for the entire drill), a pair of huge cymbals.

Could it really have been against the rules? Or, were we just stupid and incompetent? (That's rhetorical)

Why didn't we wear lightweight colorful uniforms instead of those heavy lined wool uniforms in 100+ heat. After all, we were so incapable of anything strenuous and we got less water breaks than Ben Hur back in those days.

How come the guards of those days didn't do more flag or rifle tosses or run around the field more? Oh yeah, heavy steel poles with chrome plated brass spikes and full satin flags and the rifles, they were modified carbines. We were much to weak to toss them. Although some crazies did toss them. I guess you can run in riding boots, but are you light on your feet?

And all that simple horn music that was all above the staff because those old bugles, although much easier to play than a modern trumpet, couldn't play some lower notes. I guess all the 16th note runs on a horizontal valve/rotor or even slide set up must have been dumb luck, because only today's shows are hard and musical.

Why did we waste all that effort doing an American/Canadian flag presentation? They couldn't have been required and they were always so boring - no goosebumps there. An unrecognizable jazz tune would have been much better.

Indeed, why did we do a drill at all with all those constraints and rules that made everything so easy? The rules made it so easy that we didn't have to think. We could've just played in a semi-circle - it would have been the same thing as a military style drill. You might think it would take extreme creativity to come up with an exciting show with all the rules and constraints on field and instrumentation usage; but I've been told no. Today's, "anything goes", "to heck with the old rules and traditions", shows win any comparison in effort or creativity hands down.

Well, I'll ponder that some more, if I can remember to, and get some rest. I'm even weaker these days, although it is ironic that now at 53 years old I play in a drum corps, a community band, and a professional jazz band and work a full time job. At least, I think I do. But since I'm of the old days, I'm sure I don't do any of it any good.

You obviously never marched a drum corps drill. Much different than a Marine BAND drill, I'm sure.

Your argument is ridiculous

I've marched modern drills, you don't meander, but there is very little concentration on the part of anyone but the first person that has to be at a set and the rest fill in. I've done both kinds of drills. I don't harbor any of your dci snobbery so I can see that dci does nothing special.

First of all, you're the one who brought up the army, and then when someone came and said "Oh, I've done both and DCI drill is much harder" you backpedal and say it's not the same.

Second of all, to say that drill today requires very little concentration on the part of anyone but the first person that has to be at a set and the rest fill in is the MOST ridiculous thing I've ever in my life heard on these forums. It's a complete fabrication and anywhere you marched that it holds true for is not even come close to the level of a dci drum corps.

You dci guys think you have it all and no one has ever done anything as difficult or as good as what you're doing.

Oh really? Because that sounds like the exact claim that YOU are making. Corps today never do anything as difficult or as good as what you did.

Corps today never do anything as difficult or as good as what you did.

I'm glad you finally see it my way.

(That quote is totally out of context, people, I'm just joking. Just a trick I learned from our local politicians)

I now have seen the light and agree with you. See my earlier post on why we never did DCI shows way back when.

You DCI guys are supreme. All hail DCI.

Edited by Martybucs

I hate myself for returning to this thread, (go ahead laugh), and I apologize because it is off the topic of the original post.

However, thinking back to the old shows. Why didn't we do a show like they do now? Why didn't we have an enormous pit section instead of making all those feeble marchers back then do a drill wearing a large tympani with equal counter-weights on their backs, or a set of bells, or emormous toms, or carry, (for the entire drill), a pair of huge cymbals.

Could it really have been against the rules? Or, were we just stupid and incompetent? (That's rhetorical)

Why didn't we wear lightweight colorful uniforms instead of those heavy lined wool uniforms in 100+ heat. After all, we were so incapable of anything strenuous and we got less water breaks than Ben Hur back in those days.

How come the guards of those days didn't do more flag or rifle tosses or run around the field more? Oh yeah, heavy steel poles with chrome plated brass spikes and full satin flags and the rifles, they were modified carbines. We were much to weak to toss them. Although some crazies did toss them. I guess you can run in riding boots, but are you light on your feet?

And all that simple horn music that was all above the staff because those old bugles, although much easier to play than a modern trumpet, couldn't play some lower notes. I guess all the 16th note runs on a horizontal valve/rotor or even slide set up must have been dumb luck, because only today's shows are hard and musical.

Why did we waste all that effort doing an American/Canadian flag presentation? They couldn't have been required and they were always so boring - no goosebumps there. An unrecognizable jazz tune would have been much better.

Indeed, why did we do a drill at all with all those constraints and rules that made everything so easy? The rules made it so easy that we didn't have to think. We could've just played in a semi-circle - it would have been the same thing as a military style drill. You might think it would take extreme creativity to come up with an exciting show with all the rules and constraints on field and instrumentation usage; but I've been told no. Today's, "anything goes", "to heck with the old rules and traditions", shows win any comparison in effort or creativity hands down.

Well, I'll ponder that some more, if I can remember to, and get some rest. I'm even weaker these days, although it is ironic that now at 53 years old I play in a drum corps, a community band, and a professional jazz band and work a full time job. At least, I think I do. But since I'm of the old days, I'm sure I don't do any of it any good.

I'm glad you finally see it my way.

(That quote is totally out of context, people, I'm just joking. Just a trick I learned from our local politicians)

I now have seen the light and agree with you. See my earlier post on why we never did DCI shows way back when.

You DCI guys are supreme. All hail DCI.

Now you're just trolling, but whatever.

You're the one that came in here and started talking about the inferiority of modern drum corps to the elite corps of the past and how all modern drum corps do is run around and do follow the leaders and similar ridiculous unfounded claims.

You're the one that came in here and started talking about the inferiority of modern drum corps to the elite corps of the past and how all modern drum corps do is run around and do follow the leaders and similar ridiculous unfounded claims.

I don't remember talking about the inferiority of modern drum corps; just not the superiority supposed by people like you. Most of my responses that you object to are in response to someone contradicting my opinion. That's not trolling. That's discourse and discussion. It is my opinion and then their opinion and so on.

If you cannot handle someone disagreeing with you and get all huffy and, "Oh Yeah!!! I'll show you!" then ignore the people you disagree with or make an intelligent counter argument without resorting to insults. I know it's hard, but try. Read Mike D. responses, he's real good at it. (I'm not kidding. He gives a well thought out disagreement.)

Sometimes disagreements can be quite pointed, but there is no reason to take anything personal. I talk about classic drum corps and modern corps because I know and I'm experienced in both as a performer and a sometime instructor of a couple of high school bands.

I don't remember talking about the inferiority of modern drum corps; just not the superiority supposed by people like you. Most of my responses that you object to are in response to someone contradicting my opinion. That's not trolling. That's discourse and discussion. It is my opinion and then their opinion and so on.

The two posts I quoted are trolling. They are formed in a way where you pretend to hold the opposite view in order to make people of the opposing opinion look stupid.

If you cannot handle someone disagreeing with you and get all huffy and, "Oh Yeah!!! I'll show you!" then ignore the people you disagree with or make an intelligent counter argument without resorting to insults. I know it's hard, but try. Read Mike D. responses, he's real good at it. (I'm not kidding. He gives a well thought out disagreement.)

I have honestly yet to see you make a counter argument that wasn't full of complete fabrications such as modern drum corps running around the field doing follow the leaders and not paying any attention to where they are. You're fighting a strawman. When you start making intelligent counter arguments that are actually relevant I'll start acknowledging them more. If anyone is ignoring the other side it's you, your only response to MikeD was "says you."

The two posts I quoted are trolling. They are formed in a way where you pretend to hold the opposite view in order to make people of the opposing opinion look stupid.

I have honestly yet to see you make a counter argument that wasn't full of complete fabrications such as modern drum corps running around the field doing follow the leaders and not paying any attention to where they are. You're fighting a strawman. When you start making intelligent counter arguments that are actually relevant I'll start acknowledging them more. If anyone is ignoring the other side it's you, your only response to MikeD was "says you."

Hmmm. who's trolling?

Hmmm. who's trolling?

Are you kidding me? You are sitting their completely ignoring the FACT that junior corps do more than run around the field doing follow the leaders. That is the basis of your entire argument and it's complete bull ####.

Are you kidding me? You are sitting their completely ignoring the FACT that junior corps do more than run around the field doing follow the leaders. That is the basis of your entire argument and it's complete bull ####.

OK, I take back the "following the leader thing". It was in a response to a derogatory remark made about classic corps drills.

They are so unalike so as not to be compared. Both are done in completely different environments under completely different circumstances. (although, a marine band's drill would definitely not be the same as a classic drum corps drill.)I apologize even further because I upset you so.

What you read and got you upset were postings about earlier postings that were about earlier postings. You only read a couple and got upset over things without knowing how they evolved.

I was sitting there, not their, though. But that's just my opinion.