Corps songs

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think Boston's song is "Giant", but the one everyone is most familiar with is "Conquest" (at least I think that's the names of them)

Maybe some of the confusion on what consists a corps song is due to the change of the composition of the average DCI corps. In the past corps were a lot like fraternal organizations; and had traditions that parellel such a group. Members stayed for many years, lived somewhat close to the corps headquarters; and identified to the group with a passion and a brotherhood that is not possible in a lot of the corps now. (Madison is one of the few exceptions, as a few others with a long and/or unique past). The evolution of the touring corps with the national memberships have changed that forever.

For better or for worse, DC is more of a mercinary activity now. And with that, the loss and fading of tradition...again, for better or for worse.

I don't think that geography has much of an impact. Distance doesn't mean that much to Drum Corps people and really never has. No matter where they're from or who they are, when people gather for a common purpose to achieve a common goal, the human bonds form quickly, and a Corps Song is one way that they express it. Granted, Drum Corps has changed over the years, but the term "mercenary" seems a bit harsh. That's a professional warrior who will fight and kill anyone for payment, irregardless of the employer or the cause. A very unfair analogy.

Edited by Piper

Just for the record, "Somewhere Over the Rainbow" isn't quite the Cavaliers' corps song . . . The Corps Song is the corps song.

The piece that you hear them play at encore is a combination of the corps song (mellophone melody solo) and Rainbow (trumpets come in with it later)

I think Boston's song is "Giant", but the one everyone is most familiar with is "Conquest" (at least I think that's the names of them)

I once assumed that BAC's corps song was "Conquest", but someone from BAC chimed in (not on this thread) and said that it wasn't - so I don't know.

Granted, Drum Corps has changed over the years, but the term "mercenary" seems a bit harsh. That's a professional warrior who will fight and kill anyone for payment, irregardless of the employer or the cause. A very unfair analogy.

While I also disagree with the term mercenary, it's not because of this.

Mercenary has multiple definitions, as do many words.

One being "working or acting merely for money or other reward; venal" which could be taken to mean ring chasers.

The poster you were replying to is still full of it because drum corps is not a mercenary activity be any definition.

A little throw down, courtesy of the New York Skyliners site :

"Corps Song

(Sung to the Tune of "Oklahoma")

Oh here comes Garbarina, with our flags unfurled and flying high.

Garbarina, we are drum corps men, who don't know when we are licked,

and never will say die.

We're from New York,

and we will always sing her praises loud and clear.

Garbarina, we will bring no shame to our fair name

and no drum corps contest will we fear.

Our drum line's the best in the land

and our horn line, it plays twice as grand.

And when we go,

you'll see the greatest show.

We're always out to win - sock it in Garbarina,

Garbarina, Let's go !

Chorus: Garbarina Mazarakos, Garbarina Mazarakos,

(Repeat underneath)

Our drum line's the best in the land

and our horn line, it plays twice as grand.

Everyone: And when we go,

you'll see the greatest show.

We're always out to win - sock it in Garbarina,

Garbarina, Let's go !"

For those unfamiliar, Garbarina Mazarakos is an American Legion post.

well

from what i know

bluedevils-chase the clouds away

phantom-elsas

cavies-somewhere over the rainbow

teal sound-nothing else matters

cadets-cadillac of the skies

bluecoats-autum leaves (i think)

scv-send in the clowns

thats all i know

ours (Fever's) is Hymnsong on Phillip Gliss by David Holsinger

i also know Revolution's is Simple Gifts

Could it be "Carolina In My Mind" from James Taylor?

Garry

PS Trivia stuff....James Taylor was the first artist signed by Apple Records after the Beatles.

yes it is.

" in my mind im going to carolina (bass: carolina) cant you see the sunshine....this feeling lasts for a lifetime............. "

i love it