Corps songs

I don't want to be petty but it really makes me mad to hear Crown play Band of Brothers.

In 2003 Jimmy Steele, Spirit's Brass Caption head, had our arranger at the time, Mark Fifer, write that song for us. The Shakespeare quote, "He who sheds blood with me this day, shall be called my brother." had been a hornline saying since 2002 and is even on the back of the 2003 hornline member shirt.

Band of Brothers was our on field warm-up in 03. In 04 the key was switched from Bb to Eb, but to the members of the 04 hornline it probably means even more. We sang it at the end of every day and continued to do so all the way until Jimmy left the corps at the end of 05. Singing that song was the very last thing I did in uniform on the field after retreat in Foxboro.

Now I know it's ridiculous for a corps to try and lay claim to song, but whatever it's just always a little bit frustrating to hear that song when I'm not part of it whether it be Spirit, Crown, or anyone else performing it.

Sort of the same way I always cringe at marching band competitions when I hear the first 5 notes of "Georgia" coming from the field.

/rant

i just thought crown did it bc its a great brass chorale and is a great way for their hornline to showoff. i came across a google video of them playing it but it has since been deleted

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't want to be petty but it really makes me mad to hear Crown play Band of Brothers.

In 2003 Jimmy Steele, Spirit's Brass Caption head, had our arranger at the time, Mark Fifer, write that song for us. The Shakespeare quote, "He who sheds blood with me this day, shall be called my brother." had been a hornline saying since 2002 and is even on the back of the 2003 hornline member shirt.

Band of Brothers was our on field warm-up in 03. In 04 the key was switched from Bb to Eb, but to the members of the 04 hornline it probably means even more. We sang it at the end of every day and continued to do so all the way until Jimmy left the corps at the end of 05. Singing that song was the very last thing I did in uniform on the field after retreat in Foxboro.

Now I know it's ridiculous for a corps to try and lay claim to song, but whatever it's just always a little bit frustrating to hear that song when I'm not part of it whether it be Spirit, Crown, or anyone else performing it.

Sort of the same way I always cringe at marching band competitions when I hear the first 5 notes of "Georgia" coming from the field.

/rant

You should have seen the fiasco I encountered one time. We were on the field at retreat right? We won the show and played off to one of our parade songs. We had no idea that it was the "corps song" of the corps that finished second, and they thought we did it just to rub their nose in the dirt. I'll leave the rest to the imagination.

Phantom Regiment -- Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral (NOT Amazing Grace! Although for some reason lots of people think it is) :rolleyes:

When I marched, I thought that the Glassmen song was 'Just a Gigalo'. I know we used to play it at retreat

During the Glassmen's long history there have been 4 Corps songs. In the 70's it was You'll Never Walk Alone. In the 80's and 90's it was Just a Gigalo, and Wind Beneath My Wings. Late 90's to the Present the Corps Family song is Madre

FREELANCERS

Born on all the strength of our past...

Passion in our hearts will forever last...

Black Knights in challenges of life,

We are strong we never give up the fight.

Through any struggle we'll carry on...

Our heart and soul will always keep us strong.

Even when everything seems to go wrong,

We'll have each other to lean upon.

Amen.

Sung to the music of Born Again (Freelancers, 84, 85 and 87)

Just for the record, I pulled this down off the Cavaliers site :

The Corps Song

(Full Corps)

We are the corps The Cavaliers,

There is no corps we fear,

We march along and sing this song,

For we know that we never never will go wrong, so

March onto victory Cavaliers,

As we march on through the years,

We march along and sing this song,

For we are The Cavaliers.

I don't think its fair to say Regiment has one for sure either.

One could make a strong case for either Elsa's, Amazing Grace, or Fire.

Ave maria (a dif. arrangement) was played for several years at victory concerts up through 02.

It makes me sad to know that someone who marched Regiment doesn't appreciate the importance, emotion and history of Elsa's and could even consider that anything else could be the corps' song. It illustrates the fact that there were some years when history and tradition were not emphasized with members quite as much as they should have been. Fortuntately, I believe that has been rectified.

Phantom Regiment -- Elsa's Procession to the Cathedral (NOT Amazing Grace! Although for some reason lots of people think it is)

My understanding was always that the corps song changed from Elsa's, to Amazing Grace, to Fire of Eternal Glory, to Ave Maria, and to Elsa's again(perhaps not in that exact order).

Regardless, it's definitely Elsa's right now. And its beautiful.

Also, I would add that the Colts have a corps song: Morning. Heard it in Dubuque this summer. Very nice.

Am I the only one that thinks changing a corps song is a little...strange? To me, that just seems like a tradition that should remain unchanged. An connection with the corps' past. When I go to a show in 20 years, I sure hope to hear Crossmen playing Russian, or to go on the field with the Glassmen in Toledo and sing Madre with the current members. Even in 05 when I was in another corps(Crossmen) I would see Glassmen at a few shows and hear them sing Madre. And it gave me chills...good chills:) I hope that never changes.

There is a difference between a corps song and one that is basically the signature song of the corps. In the mid to late '80s BD would sing "California Dreaming" after retreat (it played the part of the corps song but was never official) but songs like "when a man loves a woman" or "Channel One Suite" strike me as pieces that are associated with the identity of the corps. Those things change, as the identity changes. As much as I liked it when we did it, it would seem strange to hear today's corps play something like Channel One. Cadets sing the hymn, but have they ever played it? They are two different things.