Steppin on Corps toes

Texas is a big place for marching bands so i think its anyones game get who you can.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Texas is freakin huge. I'm sure they can fit that many corps auditions. Even so, it's not like the talent base isn't proportional to the state, anyways.

Easy there.... :P

Actually per capita it would probably be Oklahoma. See: Owasso, Broken Arrow, Union, Jenks, Moore and other BOA competing bands in OK. Owasso and BA are both solid top 12 or close BOA programs every year. We only have like 3 million or so in in the state and Tx has 22 million.

1 band in BOA finals last year 1 on the bubble at 13th. We had 3 in the finals of the Super Regional at St. Louis last year. 2 in the finals at Flagstaff. Owasso finished 6th at Arlington.

Yeah Tx had 3 in finals to 1 and 1 @ 13th from OK but Tx is 7 times bigger also...

Oklahoma. The state that is proud to be mediocre. Oklahoma ..... It's OK

wow thats funny

yeah but at the time there was no div 1 corps here.....now it just seemes like an overload of audtions in texas.......really how bout a state that is drum corpsless...like oklahoma for example

yes, but since its been going on for years, the administration at crossmen surely had to know that other corps already recruit down there. If they didnt account for this id be quite surprised. I might have more sympathy if Crossmen were founded in texas long ago, and corps were starting to 'invade their turf', but this is just not the case.

i say that for location sakes........its a repect thing is what im trying to say i guess.......

If it's a respect thing then Crossmen are being disrespectful to the corps that have been auditioning there for a while!!! Obviously X-men saw how good the corps that audition there are and decided to do the same, but move the whole corps there. That to me is more disrespectful. Not saying that I am ###### at them but what you say about respect is not correct. Anyways, people who want to be a part of a certain corps will fly there no matter what. Because you move to Texas does not mean that everybody is going to love them and want to be apart of them. People from the east fly all the way out for SCV and BD, and in their plane flights they fly over how many top 12 corps...like 9 of them!!!

The main problem with auditioning out of state, is that not everyone that passes the audition can afford to march. So unless you overbook like most airlines. You're more likely to create holes, than to fill them. Especially if the ones who didn't pass the audition were relatively local.

Economically, it is an extra costs for the corps doing it. Which ultimately gets passed on to the marching members who take up the slack in higher member dues. Which results in fewer people being able to afford to march, which results in higher dues, which results in ........

iirc, most of the corps are holding first audition camps out of state, but the rest in their home cities. so yes, they will overbook and tell more people theyre good enough to come to another camp, but contracts probably wouldnt happen until the 2nd or 3rd camp most likely. It gives them a chance to get through the first cut without spending a ton on plane flights.

If it's a respect thing then Crossmen are being disrespectful to the corps that have been auditioning there for a while!!! Obviously X-men saw how good the corps that audition there are and decided to do the same, but move the whole corps there. That to me is more disrespectful. Not saying that I am ###### at them but what you say about respect is not correct.

You are clueless about why the Crossmen moved to Texas. YEA was looking to cut them lose, and some folks in Texas were looking to get into the drumcorps business. "The Crossmen" didn't take one look at Texas and decide to horn in on sweet audition possibilities other corps have been exploiting to their benifit for years.

As to the OP: Having multiple auditions is just fueling the "arms race" of DCI. The wealthy corps can afford to hold auditions all over the country. Heck, why not just fly your staff all over the country during the winter months, then have your all-star members fly in for a few all-star camps. Move in will be in April, and after a 60 day death camp the top 5 corps can hit the road for the summer season. Better corps means high quality auditionees, better sponsorships, higher paid staff, higher expectations for shows etc. I just think it is a shame that large percentages of corps memberships have to fly in to camps, especially if there is a closer "home town" corps they could be part of.

It was said that five corps are auditioning in Texas. Even if EVERY member in each of those corps needed to be replaced, that's 675 members. Of course, only a certain fraction need to be replaced each year. But even 675 Texas members would leave untold thousands left to be available for other corps as well. And corps from outside Texas having audition camps there also means kids from states that are closer to Texas than the corps' home states don't have to travel as far to audition.

If it didn't work out for the corps AND the potential members, the camps wouldn't happen.