Steppin on Corps toes

So now that Crown is auditioning in texas

Carolina Crown holding auditions in Texas is nothing new. They've done it for years.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

piojon dude, whats youre deal? are corps like gangs now? they have territories? seriously i would bet that a majority of the top 12 corps arent even made up of 50% of people from their home state. drum corps isnt a down home thing anymore. people fly across the entire country to be with who they want. and why would someone capable of marching with cavies want to march with xmen? no offense, i know that sounds bad, but honestly. you make it sound like people are trapped inside their state border and if no one else is there to audition for they have no choice but to go to their hometown corps. just chill, take a deep breath

For me, having corps audition in Texas isn't a problem at all. I really think that anyone who thinks so is blowing it WAY out of proportioin. It's great that the students in Texas can have so many choices. And on a side note, I never would've been at The Cadets if they didn't audition in Texas. I really don't think there's any lack of respect at all. think about it. When a corps decides to audition in Texas, do they ever do it to "steal" members away from other corps? No. They do it because they know the numbers and the wealth of talent coming from Texas.

By the way...Oklahoma, you've gotta be kidding me with the whole we're better than Texas bit.

The main problem with auditioning out of state, is that not everyone that passes the audition can afford to march. So unless you overbook like most airlines. You're more likely to create holes, than to fill them. Especially if the ones who didn't pass the audition were relatively local.

Economically, it is an extra costs for the corps doing it. Which ultimately gets passed on to the marching members who take up the slack in higher member dues. Which results in fewer people being able to afford to march, which results in higher dues, which results in ........

The costs of auditioning will have to be paid, either indirectly (passed through in membership fees) or directly as a person pays to fly/drive to the audition.

Edited by raphael18

I don't see a problem with corps holding audition camps in various cities or regions. In this case, Texas only has 1 Div I corps, the Crossmen (who just moved there), yet there are more kids in that state than you can imagine. There is a huge market their for interested kids who wish to march. We're talking thousands of kids. At most, all those top corps that audition kids, or hold camps, in the state might add 30 to 40 Texas kids to their membership. So hypothetically, let's say the top 8 corps all holds camps there, and all of them add 40 kids to their roster from Texas. Well, that's 320 kids marching in various places. All this coming from a state that has thousands of potential marchers/members, and I think there is room for everyone.

In addition to this, regardless of state, I think we need to be careful about this "turf war" issue. We should not let it escalate to that. Nobody owns a territory or a state, at least not in drum corps circles. As the activity has been exposed to more people nationally, it has excited many young people about the possibility of marching in the summer. These young people see corps from all over and are naturally drawn to their favorite styles and types. If the Canton Bluecoats are the corps they wish to march with, then great for us, and we welcome that, regardless of where they are from. We've had kids from the Canton/Akron area who have marched with other corps as well. Those kids do not have to march with us. There is no law on the DCI "books" that states that all kids from a locale in which a drum corps already exists must march with that corps. That kind of philosophy might work with public schooling, and even there we are giving kids more choice these days, but in drum corps this ideology would be impossible to enforce.

If anything, I am hoping that the Crossmen's move to Texas essentially opens more eyes of those who already live in that state, and that they realize that there are awesome musical and entertaining things they can be doing with their summers. Drum corps is one of those things. But in a state like Texas there is plenty of opportunity for all.

If lots of corps want to hold auditions in Texas, let them. Even if two corps hold auditions 100 miles apart in Texas, people will still go to both auditions. In a rather small area in the Midwest (about a 225 mile radius) you will find Colts, Blue Stars, the Madison Scouts, the Phantom Regiment, and the Cavaliers. None of these corps have issues attracting people to auditions. I don't see any potential problems in Texas with multiple corps holding auditions.

By the way...Oklahoma, you've gotta be kidding me with the whole we're better than Texas bit.

You know I had to throw it out there... :P

The whole rivalry thing.

Tx does have some great music programs. UNT is the one I probably saw the most when I was in school up here. #### that's a jazz program... well besides seeing you guys at the Cotton Bowl every October...

As far as the OT and all the auditions in TX there are enough kids down there field a ton of corps. Who cares if the entire top 12 hold auditions in Tx. There's more than enough to go around.

I would be more worried bout Xmen killing Revo than anything else. It seems the attitude of most kids is if I can't go big why go at all. Well they were holding their own since they were the only show around but a D1 moving in the same town!! Hopefully they feed off each other instead of on each other...

piojon dude, whats youre deal? are corps like gangs now? they have territories? seriously i would bet that a majority of the top 12 corps arent even made up of 50% of people from their home state. drum corps isnt a down home thing anymore. people fly across the entire country to be with who they want. and why would someone capable of marching with cavies want to march with xmen? no offense, i know that sounds bad, but honestly. you make it sound like people are trapped inside their state border and if no one else is there to audition for they have no choice but to go to their hometown corps. just chill, take a deep breath

Actually.....I was told recently that 60% of the membership of Carolina Crown is from a 250 mile radius of Ft. Mill. (NC,SC,GA,TN,VA) They provide remote auditions as a courtesy to students from outside the area.

It also helps when you have staff that is local to these locations, too.. :)

Actually.....I was told recently that 60% of the membership of Carolina Crown is from a 250 mile radius of Ft. Mill. (NC,SC,GA,TN,VA) They provide remote auditions as a courtesy to students from outside the area.

It also helps when you have staff that is local to these locations, too.. :)

well if we consider crown to be the home corps for both the carolina's that leaves GA, TN, & VA in that statistic. but its nice to know that, i was just kind of pulling my guess out of my ###.