Your ideas for the New York Skyliners

Personally, I loved performing the 2001 show. (Blood, Sweat, and Tears). More stuff like that might pull in interest, and Sky could pull it off.

I thought that show really gave the corps a chance to let loose and pull the fans in. That's a track that gets played alot in my collection.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I thought that show really gave the corps a chance to let loose and pull the fans in. That's a track that gets played alot in my collection.

IMO it was definately the best Sky show in the last 10 years. :)

i liked their G&D productions in '93 & '94.

I humbly submit 1990 Crossmen in disagreement.

Also, NYV have done arrangements of big band standards which would work well for Sky.

And I submit 2005 Brigadiers to dispute your claim. Yawn. However well intended it was and however it came across on paper, it did not translate very well once it hit the field.

I actually feel that since so much great jazz was played in NYC, besides the fact that Bebop was born there that it would be a shame to do a show based on a vocal group's (from Ithica, NOT NYC) rehashed arrangements.

Just do the original stuff. Monk. Miles. Parker. The real deal. Not some imitation. The stuff from 52nd street, Birdland, Three Deuces. REAL JAZZ!!!!

I also think it's really hard to do some types of big band swing with a weekend corps. The subtle inflections are just too hard to pull off. Some of that stuff is written to be performed at a specific tempo. If you lift the arrangement and jack around with the tempo (as can happen in the heat of the moment in performance) , it just will not work. Think Neal Hefti's 'Lil Darlin' - it has to be in that certain pocket or it will not work. Same with something like Orange Colored Sky. And ultimately the reason swing swings is because of subtle changes in time - that doesn't happen readily with a Dr Beat beeping away.

But hey, I'm just a jazz musician, what do I know. ;) It's all MO.

Maybe the right tunes with the right arrangements would work, maybe not. But for a corps in the position that Sky is in, something like that would probably not be the best choice until they get things on solid footing.

And I also want to add - why hire an arranger if all he is going to do is LIFT someone else's arangement and then put it in a different key and assign it to brass voices.

Hell, I can do that.

But I could also do a fresh interpretation of a Big Band Standard and not have to pay NYV royalities for it.

Edited by SaraNYC

true... notice under the avitar? "rookie"

mea culpa

It's ok baby, I still love you.

^0^ ^0^ ^0^

Harlem Nocturne. I think Sky could seriously pull this one off.

I'd say all Maynard, but is that what the world wants?

I mean, I love Lil Ol' New York, and would love to hear it again, along with other favorites.

Personally, I loved performing the 2001 show. (Blood, Sweat, and Tears). More stuff like that might pull in interest, and Sky could pull it off.

Mmmmm. I love me some Blood Sweat and Tears...

Hi, I'm Sara and I'm a post ho.

There's a great release out there by NYC trombonist Conrad Herwig called The Latin Side of John Coltrane. Authentic Latin stuff - he does a lot of latin gigs in NYC, so he's put a great authentic sounding group together. Check it. It's from 1996, but a pretty fresh perspective on the Latin thing (as opposed to the same ol Latin stuff you hear out there.) Conrad is SICK on trombone, he approaches the instrument like a sax. (Like Coltrane in fact...) He's also got the Latin Side of Miles Davis out too, I need to check that out. You could do a 2 or 3 season run of the stuff....

A Love Surpreme

Blue Train

Naima

Impressions

Good tasty stuff.

Cool beans ... this is a great discussion, and frankly, a good learning experience for me.

Let me ask one other question.

In your opinion, what were the 2 or 3 best shows/years of the New York Skyliners?

I am not referring to placement at DCA, per se, but the 2 or 3 shows that the fans and members remember as the very best or most memorable shows the Skyliners ever put on the field (any decade). Thanks for your input!

1983, 1995, 1994 in that order for me

Cool beans ... this is a great discussion, and frankly, a good learning experience for me.

Let me ask one other question.

In your opinion, what were the 2 or 3 best shows/years of the New York Skyliners?

I am not referring to placement at DCA, per se, but the 2 or 3 shows that the fans and members remember as the very best or most memorable shows the Skyliners ever put on the field (any decade). Thanks for your input!

for me...

1993 guys and dolls show was a total package - GREAT!

1973 Great all around show music wise

1981-1983 Awsome music years

1988 - had me on my feet for the whole show.

2001 - great comeback

The great Skyliner shows for me are the ones that mixed a lot of soloists with the power sound of the corps. The music seemed simple because you could hum it, but when you listened to the illegal tapes made at the shows (hey... everyone brought a tape player back then :) ) you could hear the various layers in the music. Thats what made it awsome... it was intricate. You'd walk away from the show humming a tune and when you listened to the tapes over and over again you would eventually hear another tune interlaced in the main theme. MAN I MISS THAT.