Switching to brass

shrinkingclarinet1991

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm a woodwind player(clarinet and tenor sax), but I really want to audition for drum corps the summer after next (2008 season?). I've played clarinet for 6 full years now, so I do know how to read music and all that other good stuff, and I've done 2 seasons of high school marching band (I know its not the same as drum corps) . Does anyone have any advice on what would be best? My band director says I can learn trombone for jazz band (not sure if that would help since trombones aren't in drum corps) and the director of the junior high that I went to says that he has an extra school baritone I can borrow to learn on. Thanks for any advice!

Hello, glad you're interested in drum corps!

There is a guide for people who are new or beginning in the activity. You can find it here (the author would be pleased if you gave him any feedback: the good, bad, ugly, and so forth).

To answer your specific questions, it is quite possible to get into many corps as a new brass player, especially on baritone. Baritone is a very good instrument for new players. The FAQ at the end of the above link deals with the rationale for this a bit harshly, but most people find baritone one of the easier instruments to learn and low brass players are almost always in high demand at most corps.

There is also quite a bit of carryover from trombone to baritone as well. Some brass staffs, understanding this, even allow an *audition* on trombone (if this is the case, they will almost certainly ascertain whether you know "valves" as well).

Hope this helps, and do check out the guide.

F. G.

My band director says I can learn trombone for jazz band (not sure if that would help since trombones aren't in drum corps) and the director of the junior high that I went to says that he has an extra school baritone I can borrow to learn on. Thanks for any advice!

Well, if you learn valved trombone, it's not too entirely different from the marching baritone. Just a thought. Most clarinet players I know that ended up doing drumcorps did cymbals, or mellophone in drum corps. Although one clarinet player marched cymbals in drum corps and ended up doing very well on baritone his senior year in high school. Anything is possible. HTH

If you play clarinet, then DC will be a breeze fingering wise - there's only 3 valves. Which instrument? That's a toughie.

Trumpet would keep you in the same key as clarinet, but since you probably don't know any fingerings yet that wouldn't matter much, however, it would be easier for you to hear what you see on the music. (Both clarinet and trumpet are transposing instruments in Bb for those that don't know)

Baris are heavy and they don't get lighter as the day wears on. However, they are a little easier on the chops because you typically don't have to play so high. Trumpet is demanding on the chops and it takes much longer to get proficient on the trumpet so you could be playing 3rd for a very long time, but it is lighter. Trying to get good on the trumpet in a short amount of time almost guarantees you'll use too much pressure on your lips and could even screw up your clarinet embouchure. I wouldn't rule out the trumpet, some people learn it quite easily - most don't - it's hard.

I think Mellophone is an excellent compromise. It's lighter than a bari, doesn't require quite the range of a trumpet. I've known many clarinet players make a successful transition to mello in a short time, however, that was on the old G horns.

On all horns endurance will be a huge obstacle to overcome. I hope you have time to practice - a lot.

Cymbals are an option, but they are also extremely heavy and you're also almost always playing them or doing something physical with them. Good work out though.

Good Luck!

Edited by Martybucs

I would have to say switch to mellophone. I am a flautist and yet I still managed to learn and play mellophone this past season. It's not bad on your chops at all, unlike a trumpet (which I tried and will never will again). Even though trumpet is in the same key, you can't learn it fairly quickly without busting your chops just like Marty said. Mellohpone might be in a different key, but like Marty said, it's lighter than a bari and doesn't require the range of a trumpet.

I suggest the mellophone or baritone. Though I'd lean more toward mello due to the weight of the baritone, unless you think you'd be able to handle it. However, trumpet is probably the hardest to pick up, also you'd be competing with guys who have been playing the thing a good 8-9 years.

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

I suggest the mellophone or baritone. Though I'd lean more toward mello due to the weight of the baritone, unless you think you'd be able to handle it. However, trumpet is probably the hardest to pick up, also you'd be competing with guys who have been playing the thing a good 8-9 years.

Hmm, didn't really think through mello. That would be a good edit to the guide. Mean Guru always loves the opportunity to offend even more people :)

F. G.

interestingly enough...some of the best tuba players started as clarinet or saxophone players. some guys i know were woodwinds and have played in div I tuba lines (one in particular was in 4th and 2nd place lines). switching to trombone would indeed get you going on a horn that could easily translate to baritones (just add valves), but you should also consider tuba. most corps have the hardest time finding tubas because there just aren't that many of us and you can get used to it.

the key is finding an instrument that makes you feel comfortable...if your teacher wants you to switch to trombone for jazz, that is a functional switch that (again) translates easily to either bari or tuba (both bass clef, just add valves [easy] and an octave for tuba)

I'm a sophomore in high school and have been marching alto sax, but am switching to mellophone next year for several reasons. One is to have a chance to march drum corps, another is just a challenge to further myself as a musician. I've only been practicing mello for about two days now, but already have gotten pretty decent on it. Like most of you have said its a good compromise instrument and fairly easy to learn, and for me as an alto sax player, i'm usually playing the same part.