Switching to brass

shrinkingclarinet1991

A little over a year ago, I didn't know how to play a brass instrument. I'm a saxophonist who learned to play baritone so I could march drum corps. In that time, I think that I've become a pretty good euphonium player, but it came from a ton of longtones, lip slurs, scales, and sight reading. You can definitely march in 2007, but it will take some work. Hell, one of the best euphonium players I marched with over the summer was a first year vet who came to a camp with his brother after picking up a euphonium for the first time a few weeks before. He had never even been in band!

I would recommend starting off with your schools baritone(it's what I did) or some other brass instrument, and getting a private teacher(something I didn't do, but I really wish I had done it!). It's possible to learn without a private instructor, but doing so can be compared to teaching yourself how to disassemble a bomb in the dark. I was lucky and came out with a good embouchure, but I could have very easily have started learning using incorrect technique, which would have been a huge pain top fix later on. Besides, once I got a private teacher, my progress began improving tremendously.

Whatever you do, come out of the gate ALWAYS thinking of playing with proper technique.

Have fun!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quick question...Is baritone music for drum corps usually in treble clef or bass clef?

It depends on the corps. Most corps offer both versions. Although in practice the majority goes one way or the other. Most that I've been in use treble clef. But generally there's bass clef parts available if you're so inclined.

In my junior corps days. The Freelancers read treble clef low brass parts. And the Velvet Knights read bass clef low brass parts. Personally I prefer the Treble clef parts as almost everything fits on the staff. And it helps me distringuish between playing a G versus Bb instrument.

Well, with the decline of G bugles, most low brass parts have switched to Bass clef. I would bet that most corps use bass clef now, with the exception of DCA. If you're a baritone player, I would learn bass clef, unless you already read treble. If you already know treble, don't worry about bass clef. Both treble and bass clef will most likely be available at most corps.

I read bass clef, but can also read treble fairly well.

Quick question...Is baritone music for drum corps usually in treble clef or bass clef?

let's put it this way...if you are interested in becoming a serious baritone (or euphonium) player, learn your bass clef...if you are just trying to learn for drum corps... Learn Your Bass Clef!!! (they are correct though, most corps can give you either)

• 8 months later...

Thought I might update after 8 months..I stuck with my WW instrument for the school year because I enjoy playing WW and it was an audition band so I couldn't switch instruments in the middle of the year. I am going to play euph for marching band this fall though, and just started practicing this weekend. I want to save money by teaching myself how to play but I'm not sure how successful this'll be. Any tips from anyone?

Thought I might update after 8 months..I stuck with my WW instrument for the school year because I enjoy playing WW and it was an audition band so I couldn't switch instruments in the middle of the year. I am going to play euph for marching band this fall though, and just started practicing this weekend. I want to save money by teaching myself how to play but I'm not sure how successful this'll be. Any tips from anyone?

Good luck with auditions.

-Means

I just started playing baritone about a month ago, with the intent of attending the bluecoats camp in November. How unrealistic would it be for me to have a chance of making it? I'm going into my senior year and have been playing woodwind instruments since 6th grade.

let's put it this way...if you are interested in becoming a serious baritone (or euphonium) player, learn your bass clef...if you are just trying to learn for drum corps... Learn Your Bass Clef!!! (they are correct though, most corps can give you either)

Yeah, about 5 clicks in Finale. Maybe I'll count the clicks when I have Sibelius.

I just started playing baritone about a month ago, with the intent of attending the bluecoats camp in November. How unrealistic would it be for me to have a chance of making it? I'm going into my senior year and have been playing woodwind instruments since 6th grade.

and Shinkingclarinet1991 said:

I would say it really depends on how bad you want it. You've got 3-4 months before you'll audition, so it may be a bit of a time crunch--depending on your aptitude for the instrument.

My best advice for the time you have is to:

Apply all that you've learned from the WW instrument.

Practice longtones--but don't just sit there and play them--listen to each note carefully and thoughtfully. Start with a low concert Bb and work down chromatically, then back up as high as you can go. Don't move to the next note until you're satisfied with the color you're producing. When you have to pause to breathe, start with the same note you just stopped with and get the same tone quality you had before you breathed. Try to get the darkest color possible, by keeping your jaw and tongue as low as possible. It will be difficult to play like this for a little while, but you want to eliminate as much "edge" as you can. Work on this at least 15 minutes--even if you only get back to the note you started on.

Don't baby the valves--when you change fingerings, no matter the mood or tempo, put the valves where they need to be--like you mean it. Too many soloists even in today's great corps are sloppy when changing from note to note.

Don't let the listener know that you're changing notes until you're already on the next note (many amateur players tend to prep and slide into the next note. This is a subtle thing and very annoying to a trained listener). You're going to be playing as a part of an ensemble, glisses and grace notes will typically be reserved for soloists or small ensemble features. The best thing to do is think of yourself as one finger belonging to one hand of a piano player.

Practice lip slurs--make the first note pop right into the second note, again, don't let the listener know that you're changing notes. What you're trying to do is eliminate the dirt between each note.

Practice scales--try to get to where you have two octaves for each scale this may take quite a while.

Practice arpeggios--again two octaves, if possible.

Practice intervals.

The best way I've learned to practice the scales and arpeggios is through the circle of fifths by modulating through each key--major and minor (if anyone wants sheet music for this, I'll write it out and convert it to a .pdf file--just let me know what you're playing i.e., treble clef, bass clef, or keyed in F).

This should keep most people busy for quite a while. If you get bored with one thing, then move on to the next.

OH and one last piece of advice--have fun!

Edited by ravedodger