Switching to brass

shrinkingclarinet1991

I was a clarinet player, and i switched to Trumpet. It isn't to terribly hard to learn. Just find someone who's willing to spend time with you to teach you.

I did the same, I've played clarinet for around 9 years now (it's my major now), picked up trumpet in time for my senior year of HS and now I'm in my second year of college band on trumpet. I really can't say how easy or hard it is in general, for me it wasn't that bad since once I started, I played all the time, and had minimal actual instruction. I think as someone who's never played any brass before and is looking for a quick start, baritone or mellophone are better options; since baris (only speaking in some cases) won't be quite as demanding musically, though physically are harder...

So, after 2.5 years of trumpet, I marched my rookie season this summer with [the best brass line in Div. II, figure it out yourself since they don't appreciate members chatting it up on here], had an amazing time, and improved exponentially. I plan to audition Div. I in November, but I'm definitely going back to my beloved div. II if I can't earn a spot in div. I.

That's another thing...everyone says it, and I agree- if you don't make your 'dream corps', by all means, march somewhere! You won't regret it.

Edited by Penguin2688

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

learn baritone and then play euph in corp. i played tenor sax for a while and then switched to baritone - no biggie. cuz its a pretty easy instrument to sound good on - same with trombone

learn baritone and then play euph in corp. i played tenor sax for a while and then switched to baritone - no biggie. cuz its a pretty easy instrument to sound good on - same with trombone

:P :P :P :P :P (see my sig - plus I started on t-bone)

Laughing but have to agree, most of the non-brass people I know who joined the horn line played Bari. Seems like the biggest problem is building up the shoulder and back muscles to carry the beast at an all dayer. (PM or post if anyone wants tips on doing that...)

My wife is a former clarinet player and wants to learn horn. She's tried trumpet and having problems with the small mouthpiece. May end up trying midvoice or Bari.....

Edited by JimF-3rdBari