The Renegades-Rule, revisited

The difference is, you have a larger variety of shows to choose from. Here, the show line-up is always the same. Week in and week out, every show, year after year. Sometimes even less when the big boys decide to go back East or out of the country for the early season.

for years Hershey had the same lineup too.

and it was the same DCI lineup you saw at every DCI show in the east until mid to late July.

pretty much the same senior corps too.

i think you guys should contact Hershman and crew for suggestions. he had no less than 5,000 people in that stidum every year.

• Replies 295
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Removing my own post to conform with Cabs posting policy. My own choice.

Y'know...this is America. You should say what you mean and mean what you say. Censorship is illegal due to the U.S. 1st Amendment.

Barbara

and the 1st amendment does allow organizations to have rules in place that may limit what is said.

and the 1st amendment does allow organizations to have rules in place that may limit what is said.

Would you want to be part of an organization that does that? Not me, brother.

Barbara

Before we can have a DCA West show, there has to be three DCA corps from our region.

And to correct another error - current rules say that the member corps are the top 10 finishers at prelims. In addition, the next 4 highest placing corps that have also competed in 4 DCA shows are members.

I haven't read through all of the posts thus far but, as to your first comment: That isn't necessarily so Chris. If you could arrange with DCI to sponsor a Junior/Senior show (sponsored by anyone of the 3 Senior Corps presently operating in Ca. OR by all 3 Corps as representative of DCA West) as has occurred out here in the east, there would be your ONE (1) DCA show that would cover all 3 Senior Corps. Remember, you have all of this year AND next (before Labor Day Weekend 2008) to get this done. With the organizational skills you guys have demonstrated in the past couple of years I KNOW you can make this happen. Granted, you probably won't make a lot of money the first time around but as the contest grows in popularity (and believe me I KNOW how popular Drum Corps is out there in the Bay area. My cousin lives in San Jose and can rattle off every Drum Corps from Ca. going back to the 80's) you won't believe the revenue it will generate.

Here is my response to Lee's post over on that OTHER Drum Corps newsgroup that will go nameless here:

As has already been mentioned, what would be in your (and DCA's) best

interest is for a DCA West association be formed and abandon any

affiliation with DCI. It is VERY obvious that DCI is trying to gobble

up DCA as well in their maniacal race to establish a "BORG" mentality.

If the Caballeros (etal.) are trying this bylaws thing (and knowing

their mental as being as idiotic as Hopkins at times), in order to foil

their attempts, DCA West is your answer. This way you'll have whatever

number of appearances at DCA santioned shows. From there the next

logical step would be for the DCA Championships to rotate from one DCA

region to the next. And any BS from the Cabs or Empire? about the cost

of traveling to the "Left" coast doesn't hold water. If Cabs (this

year) and Empire (in years past) can afford to go on a European tour,

they can afford to go to DCA Championships if (and when) it is held on

the west coast.

And, as Jeff has mentioned, this could very well be fallout from the

DCI stuff that is taking place out there and the way you think that DCI

is the best thing since sliced bread. You've got to make a choice, DCI

or DCA, you can't be in bed with both. DCA DOES have to protect what it

has or be absorbed by DCI.

So Lee, in the final analysis, the Renegades could possibly be seen as

either the savior of DCA by helping to form DCA West thus rendering

this bylaw ineffective or stay in bed with DCI and lose the opportunity

of kickin' some eastern butt in Finals in years to come. Your choice.

Personally, back in the day, I just LOVED kickin' Hawthorne's ###. And

I'd like VERY much for you guys to experience that same feeling.

DCI is throwing you guys crumbs. If you form DCA West and, as a group, sponsor you own show, the rewards will be received by all of Drum Corps will be multi-fold. You could/would be seen as a major player in DCA on a national level, you will strengthen DCA's approach and direction of the activity, you would render this new bylaw useless and ineffective, to name just a few.

On another note. Took my wife to San Fran a couple of months ago for her Christmas present. GREAT little hamlet you got there. But in the middle of September it's as cold there as it is in Picksburgh in December. I'm tryin' to talk her into letting me do that Chinese New Year thing with you guys next year.

Hosting your show should not be about making money although it would be nice.Chances are the first couple of ones are NOT going to be profitable.You cant look at them like that.What you have to do is go in with the attitude that any money you lose,,is money that you would have spent if you traveled to a show.

Lets say it cost you 15 k to travel to a show 6 hours away by bus.If you LOST 10 k hosting a show,,you just saved 5k on the season.

.....Lee, you hit the nail on the head. Speak out.....

Darn tootin'. If somebody's trying to take you down - come out with guns a' blazin'.

Talk about trying to kill off drum corps. Mandatory sponsorship of a show that will lose money? Why do that, you could use that money to buy a contra or two or three, pay staff, rent better facilities, or as others have said, throw one heck of party. The money lost has to come from somewhere. And ultimately that somewhere is the members. And if you tax that too much, it comes from the corps assets and results in no corps. It's not like DCA is an insuring agent to make up the difference should there be a loss.

Established shows are one thing. But Califonia only has 3 corps. That's a whole 45 minutes of a show. And that's assuming you can get all three corps there. There's fewer miles for the Buccaneers to go to Winston-Salem, roughly 490 miles according to mapquest. 503 miles between San Francisco and San Diego. Not to mention that glorious California traffic.

Sure losing 5K is cheaper than spending 100K. But in this instance we're talking about losing 5K in addition to spending a 100K. If it were the other way around, there'd be no DCA championships for said corps. And without a DCA championship, why bother sponsoring a DCA show that could lose money? There's more to drumcorps than a field show and DCA.