Esperanza

I think it's sad when corps in Division 2 (as Esperanza was in '03) don't support their members' decisions to march at a higher level. Yes, there is something to be said for loyalty to a group, but there's going to be a point where you've gotten all you can out of a certain organization. A number of former ECJers have moved on to division one corps like BD and Cadets, and they had the support of the staff in doing so, even to the point where some staff members offered those former members scholarships. In my years at ECJ, the core of the tech staff was formed by people that had marched ECJ in the late 90s and early 2000s and had moved on to Cadets, BD, Boston, etc. to age out and wanted to come back and help their old corps. A corps director and staff tolerant of their members' desire to march division 1 before they age out is something that breeds loyalty and makes former members want to come back and volunteer/teach/donate time and money to their corps. I'm sad to hear your story ingenious, but I must say it's not the first time I've heard a similar thing.

Edited by TSRTS13

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SD is cursed. EARTHQUAKE - West Coast Sound - Alliance RIP

sad enough, I was thinking the same thing.

I marched w/ E for two years (05 and 06) sad as it may seem, I remember our staff telling us that the crap we had last season (ie stuck truck, kicked out of housing site, etc) was not the worst of what happened. I dont know what the problems were, I just know they were there. I also know that the staff is not the only people being given the cold shoulder by Alan Cox. my boyfriend was dedicated to Esperanza for the last four years, and is also being given the cold shoulder. we have chosen to march else where, because it is our age out and as Esperanza is shaky, we want to march somewhere. when trying to contact Alan to set up payment plans, my boyfriend and his best friend were ignored. they tried multiple times. just a thought, but perhaps Esperanzas problems are not money related as everyone seems to believe they are. after all, he is not only ignoring money going out, but also money going in.

* Note: This is not in defense of the actions of Alan Cox, nor in attack. its just an alternative point of veiw and more information that had not been posted.

May I suggest that you block personal information off the forms? Just for Ms. Ransom' sake. Im sure they wouldn't like for us to have that number for all of us to see or potentially use...

It is a matter of public record...and especially for a non-profit organization. Let the chips fall as they may.

I marched Esperanza 2002-2003 before I went on to bigger and better things in 2004. I can honestly say that if it wasn't for the training and experiences gained there, I wouldn't be where I am today. The corps started in 1999 but I'd still like to call myself a founding member since we did not go to finals until 2002.

I came back in 2003 (after I had made Blue Devils), to watch auditions and to see some friends. They were also handing information regarding championship rings from the previous summer. I remember Alan putting his hands on my shoulders and saying "You can have a ring..... even though you left us for another corps." I didn't say anything. About ten minutes later he pulls me aside and begins to lecture me on how tasteless and tacky it was that I showed my face. But wait, he told me that I could stay! I told him I was just leaving... and with a little shove, he promptly replied "Then get the hell out."

Way to burn your bridges, Alan. That wasn't the only time I've been kicked out. I showed up again the following year to a regular rehearsal. This time it was Adam. He and a few others were watching me like hawks. He confronted me and asked if I was here to march. He knew I wasn't. He then told me that the rehearsal was closed and that I needed to hit the road. I remember Adam being cool, now he's just one of Alan's thugs. Do you guys expect me to keep my mouth shut and not tell people how I've been disrespected? I hope Alan gets what he deserves.

How disgustingly sad you were treated like this. I hope this clown is not teaching in the public schools, because of what you said he did to you he should be removed. And you probably had a legal basis for an assault charge against him.

This man, at the very least, should be banned for lifetime from any participation of any form in DCI...just for that. <*

I marched Esperanza 2002-2003 before I went on to bigger and better things in 2004. I can honestly say that if it wasn't for the training and experiences gained there, I wouldn't be where I am today. The corps started in 1999 but I'd still like to call myself a founding member since we did not go to finals until 2002.

I came back in 2003 (after I had made Blue Devils), to watch auditions and to see some friends. They were also handing information regarding championship rings from the previous summer. I remember Alan putting his hands on my shoulders and saying "You can have a ring..... even though you left us for another corps." I didn't say anything. About ten minutes later he pulls me aside and begins to lecture me on how tasteless and tacky it was that I showed my face. But wait, he told me that I could stay! I told him I was just leaving... and with a little shove, he promptly replied "Then get the hell out."

Way to burn your bridges, Alan. That wasn't the only time I've been kicked out. I showed up again the following year to a regular rehearsal. This time it was Adam. He and a few others were watching me like hawks. He confronted me and asked if I was here to march. He knew I wasn't. He then told me that the rehearsal was closed and that I needed to hit the road. I remember Adam being cool, now he's just one of Alan's thugs. Do you guys expect me to keep my mouth shut and not tell people how I've been disrespected? I hope Alan gets what he deserves.

Now see, that kind of thing really bothers me. in 96 Nightfire's entire contra section was one guy, Uri Bassilian. After our last show (Santa Barbara) he auditioned for Bd, but was so nervous he kinda botched it....then he calmed down, and auditionfor and made SCV, marching 97 and 98.

I was happy for him that he made one of the toip corps he wanted...pleased that he would get the same kind of experience i did by marching at finals, especially in a corps with SCV;s history.

Had Nightfire continued and he came back to age out in 98, I would've welcomed him and taken advantage of all he learned at SCV nd had him pass it on to the other members.

SD is cursed. EARTHQUAKE - West Coast Sound - Alliance RIP

San Diego Golden Statesmen 1962-1978 (?)....killed by the Little League Syndrome....

Edited by GuyW

It also doesnt help that we (drum corps in SD)dont really have the city's support much. I remember that both Alliance and Esperanza have struggled to get housing/rehearsal sites because the groups were/are "noisy" and cause "neighborhood disturbances".