Esperanza

I guess asking for this thread to be closed because it's turning into another "bash Academy festival" which has NOTHING to do with the thread is a little too much to ask?

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think this is in refernce to the original post regarding "out with the 2003 Div II champs and in with the 2006 Div II champs"

While Academy had absolutely nothing to do with the demise of "E", I think it was the perceived attitude of the orignial poster, like "ha ha, we're in, and you're not".

Why do you assume that poster is affiliated with Academy? His/her sig says otherwise....

Hahaha....oh you people. One can hardly say a word on drum corps planet without calling down a storm, huh? What I actually meant had nothing to do with "academy" just with the fact that the big changes in the world championship line up are that both magic and esperanza are inactive this year, both very successful in div 2, and academy is coming in, another div 2 success. Any positive or negative connotation is purely in your mind, so stop looking for something to get you angry. You make me laugh.

Ryan,

I'm troubled by how easily and how often threads are closed because someone doesn't like the views being expressed.

As a reality television producer, people come up to me every day to tell me what a horrible influence my programming (Flavor of Love, etc.) has on the nation. They then always go on to give me a discription of the show so complete that it is immediately apparent that THEY are far more faithful watchers of the program than I am.

The opinions that you want to stifle may not be flattering or even accurate but they don't seem to be defamatory. Personally, I've had nothing but positive encounters with Academy and I'm thrilled to see them bringing top quality drum corps to Arizona, because a rising sea lifts all boats... but that is only my opinion.

If you don't like the tone of the conversation, don't participate in it. And if you don't like "I love NY", change the channel.

Regards,

Walt

"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want rain without thunder and lightning."

Frederick DOUGLASS

American abolitionist, author, orator (1817-1895)

walt, while i appreciate your sentiments and all that you have to say, i'd like to also point out that in this case, the reason for a moderator's intervention in this thread would be the fact that it's gone drastically off course.

So who from San Diego is going to step up and fix the situation? Lets get organized and put a long term solution in place. From what I have witnessed there are many that offer solutions and very few who donate time. I would like to hear from people in San Diego with some organizational ideas to fix this long term.

Honestly I don't know who will step up and fix the problem the corps director has created. Unless its possible for someone else to take his place as corps director and assemble an inspirational team of staff and field a corps by 2008 season, I don't think Esperanza will ever see another season again. Esperanza is still a fairly new division 1 corps and if it disappears as quick as it formed then no one is going to notice it was ever around. I believe all Esperanza really needs is a new director. Talking with others about Esperanza I have discovered that a lot of members of E who did not return was because they simply did not like the director. So please someone who is smart enough, very nice to members and staff, and simply is willing to step up and take control .....please do so.

Edited by Ognib

Hahaha yeah! Oh well crap happens.

I know I'm kinda chiming in late to a topic that has been discussed for weeks, but I don't frequent these forums anymore and both my mother and some of my corps friends told me I should hop over here and check out this thread. And being an ex-member that has witnessed first-hand so many of the unacceptable actions of the director of this YOUTH organization, I can't let myself leave without at least saying a few words.

I marched with Esperanza for 5 years, and I have some amazing memories from the time I spent with the corps. But from the very first season I spent there (when I was only 15 years old!) it was clear to me that Alan Cox was NOT a nice man, and that he would cause the downfall of his own organization if he didn't change his ways. There were repeated incidents of him blatantly mistreating members and their families, as well as teaching staff.

A PRIME example of this, and one that stands out clearly in my mind to this day, is something that occurred the day we left for our "big" tour in 2004 (I think it was '04...the years get mixed up in my head sometimes). The busses were waiting outside, we all had our bags packed and were excited and ready to go, but before we load up the busses, Alan Cox sternly asks all of the "veterans" in the corps to meet inside the corps' warehouse. We take a seat and he proceeds to completely REAM us because he heard that someone tried to pull seniority over a rookie in a lunch line somewhere (which was an incident that most of us knew nothing about). Now this may not sound that bad, but if you had heard the words coming out of this man's mouth, the words that he was directing at the 15 and 16 year olds sitting in front of him, you would be appalled. He called us all, among other things, "a bunch of ####### idiots" and informed us that WE needed to learn how to respect people like HE did. The adult who is calling a bunch of kids "####### idiots" is trying to teach us about respect? Other examples include the many times when Esperanza veterans who had moved on to other corps decided to stop by at rehearsals and show their SUPPORT for the organization, yet they were not only asked to leave, they were thrown out of rehearsals with nothing but rude words and disrespect by the corps director himself. I loved getting a phone call from a friend after practice "Sorry, we really wanted to watch you guys tonight but when we showed up Alan told us to 'Get the hell out' so we had to leave."

Over the 5 years I spent with the corps I saw so many people come and go it was incredible. Every year I would have more and more friends who would choose to march elsewhere or quit marching altogether, and not one of them had nice things to say about Alan Cox, I can guarantee it. I also knew that we lost staff every year due to conflicts with Alan, though I didn't ever attempt to find out the details. I continued to return because as a student living in San Diego I didn't have the time or money resources to march elsewhere, but despite my passion for the activity after 5 years I just couldn't bring myself to support an organization run by such an ######## any longer. I decided not to march my last two years at all rather than spend another 2 years in Esperanza.

So I know all of this is old news and none of you really care anymore, but it is something that I dealt with for the entirety of my drum corps career and I have ALWAYS wanted to be able to let the rest of the drum corps community know what kind of treatment the members and staff of Esperanza were receiving from Alan Cox. And now that I have had my chance to stand on the soapbox, I'll probably slip away from these forums and back to my busy life which (sadly) no longer includes any involvement in drum corps, despite the fact that this would have been my age-out summer :(

I am sad that Esperanza will not be fielding a corps this summer. I put endless amounts of blood, sweat, and tears (not to mention hard work!) into that corps, and took home with me thousands of good memories that will last a lifetime. But it does not surprise me one bit. I saw this end coming even 7 years ago when Esperanza was still wearing recycled band uniforms and didn't tour any further than the SW regional in San Antonio. It is the result of a leader who took the support of so many members, parents, and staff for granted and did not return to them the thanks and respect they deserved.

Edited by drumstix909