Did your HS band director support or hate Drum Corps

I once foolishly tried to join the band in HS, but skipped the weenie band camp to do drum corps. That didn't go over with the director - she immediately transferred me out of band in the fall. I suspect the director didn't even know what corps was - and if she did, it wouldn't have mattered that I could outplay and outmarch the drumline. I don't feel like I missed much.

Edited by Achilles

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

my hs band director support(ed while i was in his program, and does while i'm teaching it) drum corps. he encourages any kid who wants to march to go out for any corps. i don't think he'd be too keen on them missing band camp, but that's usually the week after finals, so not a huge issue.

he wouldn't allow any kid marching corps to be dm though, as that person would have to be at all of the summer rehearsals and couldn't do that if they were on tour.

i graduated in '03... forgot to say that.

Edited by mello_laurel

Graduated in 75. The band director was very supportive of me, but like some have indicated, really didn't want his program influenced by drum corps. Appreciated the skills I was able to develop over the summer, and eventually let me write the band's first drum corp-like drill.

My chorus teacher, however, passionately hated drum corps - long story why that really mattered in my school. Gave me #### about it every time he saw me.

My director was a big supporter of corps, having marched Crossmen and Bridgemen, but suggested students wait until after high school to march. I think the idea (which I have seen good support of) is that after marching corps, the attitude and lack of intensity of a high school marching band can be frustrating. Also, one member trying to impose a "corps-like" schedule or practice ethic on a group that works differently can have negative effects on the rest of the ensemble. Marching band and drum corps are two very different things and should be treated as such. Students in marching bands have different priorities (and should) than do those in corps. During tour over the summer, corps is what you are doing. There is nothing secondary about it. When you are in school and marching in the band, academics should be the primary focus, which changes a lot.

My band director was on the brass staff at Suncoast Sound, so support wasn't an issue. Many of the band were members of the corps, and we didn't start band camp until the season ended.

Currently, at the school where I teach the staff is filled with corps alumni (including the director). Many of our students march in both DCI and DCA, and if you miss band camp for drum corps, that's not a problem (some of the staff miss part of camp as well).

I had 3band directors. One used to write drill for Glassmen a long time ago. Another, i think, marched Scouts back in the day. the other was a flute , but she loved that i was doing it also. so my directors were very supportive. they still are actually, i graduated 2 years ago and whenever i come and ask to borrow a mello to work for camps they let me take one home, no queastions asked.

well, my high school band director FOUNDED my corps my sophomore year in 2003, so i'ma hafta say YES he did support it.

i graduated in 2005

My band director didn't at first, but I had a practice of showing corps videos to the members before practices and he would stop by and watch them... eventually those convinced him that corps wasn't half bad. I graduated in 2005.

I started HS in 1980 and my band director was a Penn State Drum Corps Judge, so I would say he liked it and we had a few members in the Bluecoats from the HS. He actually had all the flute and clarinet players from concert band switch to brass instruments for marching band so other than a few saxes we were an all brass marching band. It helped out since we weren't a very large band. We would take high brass in a lot of competitions over larger bands just because our sound was so much stronger being on all brass. he was replaced my sophmore year and the new band director, she was my BD in middle school, didn't have any problems with members of the band being in drum corps.