Dear drum corps

Since this was an event, heres my review.

Got to the hotel on Fri night, and met up with the rest of the MATG's in grand fasion. Passed out the new (and improved) uni's for the night, drank, joked, and drank some more, it was "rum fest in Spikes room". Now that we were large and incharge, we went to find some other members to taunt. Fri night was officaly "Hamms" night because we were sponcered by Hamms. The poster went up, but thank god we didn't have any Hamms. Talking, drinking, smiles and big lauphs were had by all. I managed to make it through the night with out passing out in the hall way, and woke up in my bed, next to my wife (thank god again) ready to take on Sat like a true "Tenor God".

After me and my family became "egg powered" we hit the water like true midwesterers, confused and overwhelmed. I have never been the the Kalahari before, but all I gots to say is "Damm, how much does it cost to heat that place?" It took my family 30 mins just to get from one end to the other. After we settled in we got going, and had the time of our lives. 5 hours latter, it was time to get ready for the big party.

We put up our new posters (thanks Spike)and the revisted some old ones. The big music made its last apperence, which felt like an old friend on his last ha-raw. Sat night the MATG's were sponcered by the Boulavard brewery from K.C. (Good stuff). We sponcered both bars in grand fasion, and made everyone aware that the tenor line was paesent and that everything was good, just like a tenor line should do.

Food was great, friends were all over the place, we watched the Andy awards, and then the Documentry (not enough shots of the MASTG's), hats off to all who helped with that. Then we watched the video "ONE MORE TIME!!!! YES!!!!!" It was better then ever. The night was almost complete, but we were missing one thing, "Where the hell is Stewart" After a short hunt for the man himself, we all joined in for the last redision of "never walk". We sang, we cried, we drank some more, we smiled, we lauphed, and drank again.

From that point on, the night was a bity hazzy, but I ended up in my new room, wife and baby all good to go, which is more then I can say for my buddy tony.

Dude, yer given DM's a bad name

Gotogo cook lunch

60f8

"underplaying is overrated"

Thanks Robert for putting together a wonderful DVD. It really captured the whole experience.

I know we will be watching it more than once!!!

I love Terry Splide's close up on the mixed camera #2 version. I almost fell off the couch laughing! b**bs

I didn't want to read this......Why does everything sound so incredible when you can't make it for the revelry? :(

David and I sat at home, suffering with the sad realizatiion that we were not where we belonged on that particular Saturday night. On Sunday, we were just emotional and grumpy, and we didn't realize the trouble until it dawned on him. If we had made it to Wisconsin for the weekend, he would've been sitting with some of his brothers watching the Packer game, instead of alone in our kitchen.

Glad you all had fun, and we're looking forward to the DVDs.

Roma

I didn't want to read this......Why does everything sound so incredible when you can't make it for the revelry? :(

David and I sat at home, suffering with the sad realizatiion that we were not where we belonged on that particular Saturday night. On Sunday, we were just emotional and grumpy, and we didn't realize the trouble until it dawned on him. If we had made it to Wisconsin for the weekend, he would've been sitting with some of his brothers watching the Packer game, instead of alone in our kitchen.

Glad you all had fun, and we're looking forward to the DVDs.

Roma

It's ok Roma - the Packers sucked big time on Sunday!

We did miss you guys though!

Have you gotten your DVD yet? You will love it. You are on it at one point too!

Have not seen the DVDs arrival at the Ramthun/Heinlen abode as of yet..........I'm in it??????!!!!!!! How can that be? Looking forward to seeing it, regardless! We'll be glad to be able to enjoy it on the surround sound system.

We missed you also, more than you can imagine. Heard Mark was being called "Uncle" by quite a few people!

Roma

Have not seen the DVDs arrival at the Ramthun/Heinlen abode as of yet..........I'm in it??????!!!!!!! How can that be? Looking forward to seeing it, regardless! We'll be glad to be able to enjoy it on the surround sound system.

We missed you also, more than you can imagine. Heard Mark was being called "Uncle" by quite a few people!

Roma

You are in the Documentary part during the Age Out Dinner.

Yes, Stephanie Farris(?) and I were trying to count backwards to figure out when this might have happened!!! :laugh:

Great review, John... I remember it (vaguely) like that as well...

The Tenor Gods were indeed in prime form as they adorned the banquet room with their greatness all over the place. The nice touch was the huge

music posters of your charts... that was classic. :P The "visiting the tall weeds" poster of you guys was another classic... proving that the tenor line that

plays well together, pee's well together, too! And BTW... did you catch the nice side view shot on the #2 mixed camera version that show's just how

AWESOME you guys were during your drum solo feature?? It was awesome... you guys rocked. :laugh::ph34r:

The Yee-Haw cymbal line of SOB's were in classic form... a presentation of epic proportions that did not disappoint. The best award going to Spanos for

his memorable "spewage" during July camp, and the bucket they awarded him for that awesome extravaganza of barfness. Spif set's a new standard in

"crew" hilarity by muggin' for the camera... absolutely hysterical!! And his "caption this photo" segments were classic. Those SOB's pulled off another great one!

The DVD documentary and the additional mixed camera angle version that had not yet been seen are OUTSTANDING. Pilot did an incredible job... :ph34r:

and it is an amazing DVD/CD set to be able to have for a lifetime now. I have watched it & listened to the CD maybe 100 times already and have it lovingly

loaded into my Ipod!! b**bs

The after banquet festivities... which I hung out with until 0300... were very "entertaining." :P Thanks to Randy Ferrie for the well thought out out plan to have

the "secret stash" of coolers primed and ready to go for after the bars closing. Brilliant!

It was sad you couldn't make it, Roma, but there was good talk going on about you both, and a great round of applause for Dave and his baritone solo in Malaguena!!

A few of us had a good (kinda slow, though) "morning after" at the "Elvis" Denny's there on Rt. 12. Mostly snare drummers, but Mr. Tholo was there, inviting us

all to come back in 30 more years for the next project, where we will all be in the 100 man American Flag/Honor Guard section!!

Wouldn't miss it for the world!!

What a great time... and again proving that a great organization like the Madison Scouts never does anything half-###ed.

Good shot of most of the 2006 MSARP snare drummers:

100_0204.jpg

There are actually FOUR 1975 drummers in this photo, and one 1988. But only the two are proudly displaying their rings!!

Edited by GGarrett

Thanks for the great review John! I wish I had been able to come up

there on Friday night, but I was...um..occupied.

But anyway, I got there Saturday afternoon and

had a blast doing the "Ripping Rhino" and had a bigger blast that night

seeing all of my bros at the banquet. There were many highlights, but the

most memorable was the Andy Awards with the Texas S.O.B.s. I think it's

great that after all these years, we still have the Jim Lattimer Memorial Award.

It was also a blast singing the Scott Stewart song as we waited for his return!

Oh, and Roma and Dave - big congratulations on your BIG news! Roger told

me a couple of weeks ago and I haven't had the chance to send an e-mail.

Was this inspired by the project? :P

Anyway, it would've been nice to see you guys there and hang out, but you gotta

do what you gotta do. Please send pictures when the time comes!

To sum up, it was a great time, both reuniting with the project members

and reliving the experience through watching the videos (and Pilot's expanding face)

I wish we could do this every year.

Jeff,

Let's just say, to paraphrase Geno, "I guess the Superman Suit does work!" Also, David said, "Wow, that project really DID make me feel like I was 20 years old again.!" I guess being around all that testosterone really got me primed, so to speak. :wub:

We got the DVD last night, and it was incredible. We can now relive it in surround sound and a large TV. May need a new system to do it justice. Oh, wait, we have other things to spend money on now.

Thanks so much for your good wishes. We'll keep you in mind when picture time comes around. Maybe the next get-together, you'll get to see the little one.

Roma