Whats the single most important thing for a good Drum Major?

TchMuzk

Best Qualites in a DM  

32 members have voted

1. 1. What's MOST important?

• Ability to lead the corps through the show
    • Showmanship
    • Portray musical expression
    • A leader OFF the field
    • Liason between staff and members
    • Communication (talking) with audience
    • Energy and Excitement
    • Bumo
    • Other (please elaborate)

It seems to me, the criteria for being a good DM in DCA and DCI are completely different.

I was just wondering what the AVERAGE DCA person thinks is the ONE most important trait in being a good drum major. We all know it takes a blend of many things, but what it is the one MOST important in your mind?

Edited by TchMuzk

It seems to me, the criteria for being a good DM in DCA and DCI are completely different.

I was just wondering what the AVERAGE DCA person thinks is the ONE most important trait in being a good drum major. We all know it takes a blend of many things, but what it is the one MOST important in your mind?

Some of DCA DM's tend to have more showmanship in them than DCI DM's, but I can't say any of the above is the most important.

You need a mix of some of the above and then some extras not listed (including, but not limited to dependability, flexibility, liason between the corps and the audience/fans/potential members/other corps, etc.)

In DCA: the top three.

In DCA: the top three.

A good drum major will understand time, rhythm, and ensemble cohesiveness. In other words, showmanship, portrayal of musical expression and the ablity to lead the drum corps through the show are all secondary. In most cases, a good drum major should be familiar with the battery book, understand how it fits with the brass book, and know where the tendencies in a show are and be able to "make things work" when drill designers forget its still a musical ensemble and needs to play together.

How about that.

C

there is no ONE important trait.

They're all equally important.

I must agree with Chris here...

Both DCI and DCA Corps would require their DM(s) to have all of these qualities (and more) to help, and direct their Corps towards success on the field of competition. IMHO (All of which, neither starts or ends ON the field of competition)

And I hope this hasn't changed since my days on that field of competition...

Tony B)

*edited for BBc code errors*

Edited by TennTux

I truly believe that if it was just one trait then everyone could be the DM. So much is needed that there isn't one more important than another IMHO.

Confidence. Don't have it, get eaten alive by the corps.

I truly believe that if it was just one trait then everyone could be the DM. So much is needed that there isn't one more important than another IMHO.

...."The End".....