That did not go so well.

I think true attitude shows itself AFTER the audition experience. A good audition (and I've run a few) includes a critique. Let's face it...even you vets out there...we all could improve on something.

So, when I critiqued, I looked at certain areas of strength within each audition and areas in need of improvement. This went for both playing and marching. I even suggested exercises, or marching basic techniques that someone could take home and work on between the "audition camp" and the "call back camp."

Seldom is anyone "cut" at the audition camp, let's say, you either were an A, B, or C.

An "A" was pay your dues, improve your performance based on the critique and we'll see you at next camp. Basically this person had met the minimum requirements to make the hornline. Most likely, they were a vet who knew the process.

A "B" was still asked to next camp, but they were judged to have more improvement needed between camps. They were not currently meeting the minimum requirements, but would be asked back and re-evaluated at the next camp (about a month later).

Back in the day with Regiment, anyone who was a "C" were directed to the cadet corps director who offered them an opportunity to join PRC. It was there, they were to learn what it took to make the Regiment when the had more experience and were older. My 12 year old auditioned for the soprano line and was given a go ahead for an "A" until they found out he was only 12. He had already performed 3 seasons with PRC. It was felt he should continue in PRC until he was at least 14 before he moved to Regiment.

Now...where do these "C's" go if a corps does not have a cadet corps (most don't).

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wish my tech guy did that.

I just played and he said, "Thanks Brad, we'll be emailing you."

No tips, no suggestions, no nothing. :-/

And wow, your 12 year old must be a sop BEAST!

I wish my tech guy did that.

I just played and he said, "Thanks Brad, we'll be emailing you."

No tips, no suggestions, no nothing. :-/

And wow, your 12 year old must be a sop BEAST!

He was...now he's 21. Switched to mello at one point. He was very good for has age. As a 12 year old, he went to Tarheel Sun as a mid-season add....long story...but the corps found out this new kid was only 12, they weren't expecting too much...then he learned the entire show in a day and marched with them (the full freakin' show) the next evening. They changed their tune really quickly.

And...to top it off...he's a real good guy.

Imagine that...he certainly didn't get that from me.

so last year I played this piece and they cut me off after 30 seconds. And then they asked if I could play this scale, and I couldn't, so they asked me a different one, which went slightly better, but was still pretty disastrous (as in at least one wrong note and a couple cracks).

I kept coming back, and got an alternate spot, and then a full spot in late March.

... keep going back until they tell you that you can't.

Well - I know that if you got a 3, or a "C", at auditions in 03 you had the chance to go and talk to the staff and they would direct you towards a corps of your skill level.

If you were asked back and attended more camps, but were an alternate or on the bubble, you could ask Pat about the needs at other corps and he would direct you to a group based on their membership needs.

I know of at least oen guy that was told to march div 2/3 by Boston, did it, and earned a spot the next year.

Good Attitude + Needs work on marching/playing > Terrible Attitude + Technical Proficiency

Good Attitude + Needs work on marching/playing < Good Attitude + Technical Proficiency

Good Attitude + Technical Proficiency owns all. Strive for this, and you have nothing to worry about.

That said, some corps have better pickings than others and usually don't have to worry about attitude problems. Either there are many people who are qualified to participate (and some must be cut) or it is obvious who the right people are (and the rest will be cut).

Most places will encourage those who do not make the corps to either practice a lot and come back next year or get some experience elsewhere first.

A good staff is always sensitive to people who act the part during auditions but will probably end up being uncooperative, unwilling to commit, irresponsible, etc . . .

There's a reason some places have a "successful" mentality- they get a lot of talented people with "successful" attitudes.

Edited by jake_the_hydra

I had my audition yesterday, and well, it could have gone a bit better.

I got rather nervous and couldn't play all that well...I hope it was good enough to make the SCVC but I'm not so sure... :beer:

It sure is great to see so much encouragement and support from you all! Although there can unarguably be a lot of negativity here on DCP, I'm please whenever I see a thread such as this. It also makes me proud to be a fan of all of you who march and have marched.

To Brad, I also wish you the best of luck. I hope you are among the baris in SCV Cadets when I see the corps next June!

dude just keep going back. i marched a lot of years of top tier drum corps, and i've never seen someone who was "cut" and stuck around not wiggle their way into a spot in march or april or may, so long as they were up-to-date financially.

people get hurt, people quit, people can't pay. it always happens.

you just gotta be willing to do everything and anything. (secret: most of the top corps take the strongest people, who can live through texas in july and 90 straight days of rehearsal, not the best players, per se. show them you are a strong person.)