That did not go so well.

Thats how it was with me, it was my first non private playing of brass...Lip slurs = sucky. I miss my octave key :'(

To above poster that was at audition, you wouldn't happen to be Corin would you? Just wondering, she was the only person to actually talk to me there :)

I'm hoping that attitude and determination will help me out here. I want nothing more than to march with them this summer, and I will do anything/learn anything/take however many lessons/practice however many hours to do it. I am quite teachable and eat up any advice I can get.

Two things are making me optimistic.

1. On the SCVC audition site, it says they are open to people wanting to start brass and guard (not perc though, that is previous experience only)

2. On the rubric thing you got when you checked in and gave to the judge, there were only three options under "Final Assessment."

The options were: 1) Ready for Vanguard, come to Dec Aud camp, 2) With improvement, ready for Vanguard, come to Dec Aud camp, 3) Ready for Cadet Corps.

There was no "You suck Brad go away" so, yay.

I'm hoping that those are the ONLY options for auditionees :)

Oh yes, I am also checking my email every other minute. :)

Edited by OboeBrad

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everybody ready for a little drum corps myth-busting?

Corps don't factor in "attitude" for auditions.

They may say they do, but they don't. And they shouldn't. Everybody pretends they are positive and hardworking during auditions. It would be a "washed" factor. Maybe if you punch an instructor or toss your horn in the dumpster, sure, you'll get cut because of "attitude." Otherwise, no.

Take note: this does not mean that attitude is unrelated to how well you do in audition.

Further, members and waitlisters can (and do) get cut for attitude problems later on in the winter and spring.

-Means

Maybe not the corps that YOU tried out with was like that. But geez, that just might be true for the corps he tried out at. :doh:

I always had "stage fright" at my try outs and look, I marched 5 years so yeah, attitude does mean alot. If they see "potential" I would think that factors in for something.

What instrument did you try out on Brad? To me just the fact that you tried out on a foreign instrument would be a "key" factor in you making it, if I was an instructor.

But good luck and let us know how it goes. Even if you don't make it still pursue it. I had plenty of ww's player friends, who tried out, one of my ww's player friends (Sax player) was a drum major, tried out for baritone and made it, then tried out for drum major and made that. So don't give up the dream. :)

Edited by Lancerlady

Everybody ready for a little drum corps myth-busting?

Corps don't factor in "attitude" for auditions.

They may say they do, but they don't. And they shouldn't. Everybody pretends they are positive and hardworking during auditions. It would be a "washed" factor. Maybe if you punch an instructor or toss your horn in the dumpster, sure, you'll get cut because of "attitude." Otherwise, no.

Take note: this does not mean that attitude is unrelated to how well you do in audition.

Further, members and waitlisters can (and do) get cut for attitude problems later on in the winter and spring.

-Means

Can't agree with that at all. Attitude is part of it all, not the big part but part anyway. Confidence means a bunch. IMHO.

According to an instructor/family friend that aged out in Vanguard in 84 and is now a friend of Jeff Pearson, attitude means alot for Vanguard. Dunno, thats just what he says.

I tried out on baritone. I am hoping that I will attend at least the first V. Cadets camp, because, in another month or so, I should become quite a bit better and less stage frighty :P

Guru, that and spamming for your guide seems to be the only thing you post...Not flaming, just making an observation.

It just seems like that would be a big point for who makes it. If I were an instructor, I would much rather teach someone who isnt a hotshot know-it-all and is teachable rather than have a line full of God's Gift(s) to Drum Corps.

Edited by OboeBrad

they told us this when we were looking for a pre-season replacement...look you will be living with these folks all summer, we don't someone who's going to be a jerk, if they're willing to come in and work their tail off, bring them by but if they are super talented but come with a super-ego, they aren't the kind of person we're looking for.

According to an instructor/family friend that aged out in Vanguard in 84 and is now a friend of Jeff Pearson, attitude means alot for Vanguard. Dunno, thats just what he says.

I tried out on baritone. I am hoping that I will attend at least the first V. Cadets camp, because, in another month or so, I should become quite a bit better and less stage frighty :P

Guru, that and spamming for your guide seems to be the only thing you post...Not flaming, just making an observation.

It just seems like that would be a big point for who makes it. If I were an instructor, I would much rather teach someone who isnt a hotshot know-it-all and is teachable rather than have a line full of God's Gift(s) to Drum Corps.

Attitude is quite important in nearly every endeavor, including auditioning. It is not, in itself, measured when auditioning for corps (and, as before, it would probably make no difference if it were).

Spamming my guide? I don't have a guide. I have a link to one in my sig (written by *Feet* Guru... the confusion is understandable). I have 12 posts, counting this one, so I suppose the sig would appear on all 12. I don't consider your sig announcing your intentions to audition for SCV on the 12th "spamming."

To others, I understand this is a contention that flies in the face of what we have all been told, and you are correct to view it with a degree of skepticism. But corps don't factor in "attitude" for auditions.

As before, members and waitlisters can and do get cut for attitude problems later on in the winter and spring.

-Means

Attitude = Everything....well not really but its a big factor. While everyone may have the outward appearance of a good attitude at the audition camp, there are little things that the staff can look for during that 4 hour basics block that will set them off immediately to someones attitude no matter what they say...Actions speak louder than Words.

also, how was the turnout at the Texas audition?

If I may add... Attitude matters, but it's mostly a specific one. If you have a "teachable" attitude, you'll be the one picked over someone who doesn't.

Don't get me wrong; attitude doesn't matter *that* much. But one of the reasons most corps have two-camp auditions is to measure your improvement more than anything else.

If anything, if you consider your audition to be a month long process, you have a chance to get better enough. If you think you've already failed... well, most auditions are self-fulfilling prophecies. What you think will happen likely will.