Kiwanis Kavaliers

Hey look everybody. It's Mr. I don't have all the facts, I wasn't at this meeting, but let's take yet another opportunity to bash DCI guy.

Oh, good Lord....

Since I wasn't at the meeting either...let me invent these nebulous requirements...

For starters, how about making sure the organization can afford to tour safely? Is that so nebulous? Jeeesh.

You are misinterpreting what I said.

Let me clarify. I'm quite certain the DCI participation review committee has criteria that are specific, relevant, and applied to appropriate corps at appropriate times to ensure that corps tour safely. Furthermore, I believe the process fosters other attributes (fiscal responsibility, for one).

My comment was not regarding the DCI evaluation process. It was directed solely toward the insufficient, one-sentence description of Kiwanis Kavaliers' current status in the DCI.org blurb. And my point was that even though the problem could be something as trivial as submitting copies of already-completed paperwork, the DCI.org sentence is so nebulous and open-ended as to leave us all wondering whether the corps will be allowed to compete in any division of DCI in 2007.

In all likelihood, this is the only news we'll hear from DCI on Kiwanis Kavaliers for several months. Their audition turnouts could be seriously impacted by that news. For that reason, whoever is responsible for the news DCI puts out should be sensitive to that reality, and provide the appropriate level of detail to avoid casting a dark cloud over a corps, especially at this pivotal stage in time.

(And that's all I'm saying, not the grandiose "DCI-bashing" you presume.)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, good Lord....

You are misinterpreting what I said.

Let me clarify. I'm quite certain the DCI participation review committee has criteria that are specific, relevant, and applied to appropriate corps at appropriate times to ensure that corps tour safely. Furthermore, I believe the process fosters other attributes (fiscal responsibility, for one).

My comment was not regarding the DCI evaluation process. It was directed solely toward the insufficient, one-sentence description of Kiwanis Kavaliers' current status in the DCI.org blurb. And my point was that even though the problem could be something as trivial as submitting copies of already-completed paperwork, the DCI.org sentence is so nebulous and open-ended as to leave us all wondering whether the corps will be allowed to compete in any division of DCI in 2007.

In all likelihood, this is the only news we'll hear from DCI on Kiwanis Kavaliers for several months. Their audition turnouts could be seriously impacted by that news. For that reason, whoever is responsible for the news DCI puts out should be sensitive to that reality, and provide the appropriate level of detail to avoid casting a dark cloud over a corps, especially at this pivotal stage in time.

(And that's all I'm saying, not the grandiose "DCI-bashing" you presume.)

Sorry...my bad...read too much into what you wrote. But, why is DCI obligated to make this information more public. It's really a situation between the corps (in this instance, Kiwi) and DCI competition committee. Do we really have to watch the sausage being made to recognize it as sausage when it's complete?

Do we really have to watch the sausage being made to recognize it as sausage when it's complete?

I would think that before kids put out money to fly down to Florida etc that they want to have a reasonable confidence that the corps they are auditioning for will actually field. I agree with whoever stated above that this piece of news could impact camp turnouts. Now that the cat's out of the bag I think someone needs to move as quickly as possible to confirm KK's status.

Jim

I would think that before kids put out money to fly down to Florida etc that they want to have a reasonable confidence that the corps they are auditioning for will actually field. I agree with whoever stated above that this piece of news could impact camp turnouts. Now that the cat's out of the bag I think someone needs to move as quickly as possible to confirm KK's status.

Jim

I agree - particularly since KK is not listed on the 2007 tour schedule that was just posted.

Jim

I think in spirit, I agree here. This would be very helpful.

www.kiwaniskavaliers.org

:) Enjoy.

www.kiwaniskavaliers.org

:) Enjoy.

This is little to no information available on the above website. No mention of staff, admininstration, corps director... nothing. I wish Kavies all the best as an alumni but if I were looking to audition I would certainly want to be provided with some important info before attending.

This is little to no information available on the above website. No mention of staff, admininstration, corps director... nothing. I wish Kavies all the best as an alumni but if I were looking to audition I would certainly want to be provided with some important info before attending.

(From the article)

Coming very soon:

Camp Schedule

Parent\Guardian Guide

Camp Menu

Member Handbook

Staff Announcements

Ride Board\Kavaliers Forum

Sure, but "coming very soon" with only 2 weeks to the audition camp is really cutting things short. As with Annette, I wish Kiwanis all the best, but I really do question what's going on. There seems to be a lack of information available with so little time left.

Who's on Administration? The Director? I'd want to know where I'm sending my kid and who's looking after them before I signed anything. Hopefully you'll see this as constructive critisizism, and not an attack on the corps. I do want the best for the corps!!!