Brass Roots tonight on DCI.org

It might behoove DCI to do an updated version of this with Hop, Gibbs, Fiedler and a few others. It certainly wouldn't cost much to make, other than the time spent getting those people together.

Two hours that takes us up to the here and now, and includes some thinking as to the future of the activity as an epilogue.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It might behoove DCI to do an updated version of this with Hop, Gibbs, Fiedler and a few others. It certainly wouldn't cost much to make, other than the time spent getting those people together.

Two hours that takes us up to the here and now, and includes some thinking as to the future of the activity as an epilogue.

What would we call it? It wouldn't be our roots, but it would be some of our branches.

What would we call it? It wouldn't be our roots, but it would be some of our branches.

Brass Roots II: Electric Boogaloo? :P

Seriously, what about something simple to make it flow with the first one: "Brass Roots II: The Family Tree" or "Brass Roots II: The Story Continues"?

I'm sure with the enormous amount of kids that Hop/Gibbs, etc have influenced in the past 15+ years there would be a market for it...with it not costing much more than getting these guys together (and, even then, to further cut costs... it could be done during a winter/spring meeting, since they're going to be there anyway) and constructing together some clips from the archives....there's a lot of profit to be made on it. :)

Edited by bawker

This was about the History of the activity and how it got started, and I'm glad so many are getting an opportunity to see this and are appreciating the History.

And just to clarify, the version that was played on the tape was-Percy Grainger "Irish Tune from County Derry"( Danny boy) for those buffs that might want to get the CD version. :)

Edited by Lancerlady

Brass Roots II: Electric Boogaloo? :P

Seriously, what about something simple to make it flow with the first one: "Brass Roots II: The Family Tree" or "Brass Roots II: The Story Continues"?

I'm sure with the enormous amount of kids that Hop/Gibbs, etc have influenced in the past 15+ years there would be a market for it...with it not costing much more than getting these guys together (and, even then, to further cut costs... it could be done during a winter/spring meeting, since they're going to be there anyway) and constructing together some clips from the archives....there's a lot of profit to be made on it. :)

I like your "Brass Roots II: The Family Tree" idea. Then the third one could be about the fruits from the tree. b**bs

Super . Hope they show it again. Gives a real nice perspective of what dedication the founders had, the financial / business

part that as a marching member of a jr corp , you cant comprehend. Then all the great footage of some of DCI's finest.

Thanks

....making plans to watch part II....

i think they will make another version, but probably not for another 15 years. this was a look back at the 25 years of DCI (produced in 1997), so I think if they do another one, it would be at the 50th anniversary...take a look back from the start but focus on what has happened since 1997, and wow has it been a lot (Bb/F horns, regional div I corps, amps, DCI moves to Indy....) etc, etc, etc...also we would get to find out where else the Cadets move to :huh:

I didn't saw it.. How come? I guess our time here is different from you guys there.. I wish I could watch it again.

This is amazing!!!!!

I missed the first 30 minutes...what happened?

I built the show in segments. First was the origin of the organization with those who founded it. I had heard the stories for years from all of them individually, so I thought it would be cool to put them all in the same room. That ran about 12 minutes, then the balance of the first hour (the original release is 2 hours) was a similar format with some of the most influential designers of the time. I just let them run and then added clips of what they were talking about. The second hour was a "parade" of all the champions up to that year, 1997.

We shot the roundtable segments in Whitewater. I had originally planned to shoot at a little steakhouse on Route 12 between Whitewater and Fort Atkinson, but when I arrived the night before to set up, the owner tells me that his septic tank had backed up. "You're welcome to shoot anyway..." I politely declined. So at one in the morning, I'm driving around the bustling metropolis of Whitewater, Wisconsin looking for a place to set up 3 cameras, lights, audio, the whole lot, knowing that all those guys were coming in the morning for the shoot. We ended up in a conference room in the building right next to Warhawk Stadium on campus. The trophies actually made for a nice background to the stories, but it was originally supposed to be guys just sitting around the dinner table.

I am really glad everyone enjoyed it. I've considered it part of my responsibility to pass along the history of the corps and DCI, both on and off the field. DCI really gets the kudos for supporting the effort.