Another championship show ripped off...

Unless they purchased the drum parts from Bret Kuhn or Bret wrote for them doing some minute changes...

mm

Hi Mike,

if that is you! :P

To set you guys straight on this..

Northern Star, in 2006, bought scores from Tom Aungst, Jay Bocook, Neil Larivee, Richard Saucedo, Brett Kuhn and Erik Johnson. The music was bought by us because it fit our concept for 2006 which was a show called Time. The arrangers were all given credit for it and the music was played as written.

We are a drum corps not in the habit of "ripping" shows. It's not cool.

In Europe there are few writers of a standard that is high enough for some of the top corps and to be able to afford music of that quality we have bought "off the shelf" for the last few years, having performed music purchased from the Crossmen also in recent years.

In 2007 we are performing an all original show, written by Richard Saucedo, Neil Larrivee and a battery writer we are yet to announce but who is of an equal pedigree. We can now afford to go down this route and it is the the next logical step in Northern Stars already great progression.

Feel free to email me, msg me for more info, visit the website and learn more about us.

By the way Mike, if it is you, we met at DCE championships in 2005, not sure if you remember. You judged us and gave us some great comments.

ciao

Edited by britdrums

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When was the last time a DRUM CORPS copied a marching band ?

Well, Rob, it happens quite a bit, but thank you for countering the rudeness. :)

Well drum corps staff members have to teach somewhere during the offseason right? It's common for staff members to test new concepts during the fall with their band programs and bring them to drum corps world the following season [i think a great example of this would be the Tarpon Springs/Boston Crusaders connection].

As a band director I can tell you that this concept of copying has been going around since they came up with the idea of marching and playing musical instruments on a football field.

Up until the 1970's high school and junior high marching bands would copy what they would see from college bands like Michigan, Notre Dame, Texas A&M, etc. This changed with the creation of DCI and the change of many bands to corps-style (think of the last time you saw a high school band perform a military show).

It is very difficult not to look like you are copying a drum corps. Uniform and color guard equipment companies, marching band music arrangers, and even show designers are heavily influenced by what happens at DCI. You almost have to kill yourself to create something different.

Plus there is the time and pressure factor. A lot of band directors now find themselves under the same microscope that football coaches have been under. Your job survival depends on immediate and continued success. For many directors, they feel like they are in a corner and that copying SCV's 89 show or Cavaliers 2000 show is their life preserver. In their minds its asafer bet to do Regiment 89 New World Symphony rather than try and do it the way Spring H.S. did it in 1993.

well you know that whole baseball over the corps thing, with the guy in the outfield trying to catch the ball that the cavies did? the high school i taught did it the year before, exactly as the cavaliers did it.

not saying they copied or even saw the show, but it happens. moreso than we think probably. With corps staff teaching bands in the offseason its a pretty good ground to "test" stuff out on.

HAHAHA!!! My HS band did "moto perpetuo"'s music this year... If you wanna see it...

http://bucband.org/video/BucBand-2006-Game09.wmv

:-)

HAHAHA!!! My HS band did "moto perpetuo"'s music this year... If you wanna see it...

http://bucband.org/video/BucBand-2006-Game09.wmv

:-)

It was interesting to hear some of the interior parts there...SCV on the CD covers a lot of this up...I don't know if that's from having amp problems or where the mics were at.

The show translates well as a high school vehicle. :)

Edited by bawker

I'm still trying to find out when Beyer High School out of Modesto did Miss Saigon, and whether or not it was the year before or the year after SCV did it. Lots of similarities between the 2 shows.

On a side note, Beyer beat my HS band pretty bad at every field show, except one year we beat them when they did Newsies. Heh.