Cadets NOT to use amplified vocals in 2007 show.

Just a feeling I have Mike.

Suppose there was a poll of every single drum corps fan in the world asking them if they like or dislike amplified vocals, and you were forced to bet everything you have on the result of the poll...would you bet that most like or dislike?

No semantics or run around, or "why in the world would there be such a poll" or "why would I have to bet on that" please. Honest answer. I know how I would bet, even if I did like vocals.

This is a very good point. Is there a way of knowing what the majority of the audience thinks? No. But no matter if the person likes vocals or hates vocals, and if they were betting their life, they should bet that there is more dislike among all audience members than dislike, based on general crowd reaction to the Cadets at various events*.

For example, I absolutely LOVE the Cadets 1988 show, but for a poll of all audience members who saw it live (and on recordings as well, seeing as I wasn't alive when this show was performed), I'd bet that more people disliked it than did not.

*which, in 2007, will be OFF THE FREAKING CHARTS!!!! :blink::blink::blink::blink::blink:

Edited by Hrothgar15

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

*which, in 2007, will be OFF THE FREAKING CHARTS!!!!

How do you know? You're assuming that just because the Cadets have decided not to include amplified vocals in their 2007 production that the fans will automatically respond in an overwhelmingly positivie fashion. There are other variables that make for an entertaining, crowd-pleasing show. Amped vocals, or the lack thereof, is not the be all/end all of the equation. Though I'm no fan of amplification in any form, I personally enjoyed the 2006 Cadets far more than I have in the last 5-6 years.

How do you know? You're assuming that just because the Cadets have decided not to include amplified vocals in their 2007 production that the fans will automatically respond in an overwhelmingly positivie fashion. There are other variables that make for an entertaining, crowd-pleasing show. Amped vocals, or the lack thereof, is not the be all/end all of the equation. Though I'm no fan of amplification in any form, I personally enjoyed the 2006 Cadets far more than I have in the last 5-6 years.

Because there were some people in the audience, including myself, that no matter that there were parts of the show that they actually really liked, they didn't even clap once throughout the whole show because it contained so much vocal amplification. In 2007, this problem won't exist.

Because there were some people in the audience, including myself, that no matter that there were parts of the show that they actually really liked, they didn't even clap once throughout the whole show because it contained so much vocal amplification. In 2007, this problem won't exist.

So, you're essentially going to clap for something that's NOT THERE. I see.

So, you're essentially going to clap for something that's NOT THERE. I see.

I'll be clapping for the fact that there's no vocal amplification (which is exactly what I did with Cavaliers, Regiment, Vangaurd, etc. last year) AND for some amazing music and drill (which is exactly what I did with Cavaliers, Regiment, Vangaurd, etc. last year).

I would bet on dislike. There's your answer. But what does that answer mean? If I asked most of my coworkers right now whether they would rather listen to Phantom Regiment or Jay-Z, PR would feel awfully lonely. If I asked most of the crowd in Indy, during the quarterfinals telecast, whether they like the Blue Knights I bet BK would feel awfully neglected. In both polls, my answer would be in the minority. Does that mean what I enjoy is incorrect? Should all questions of taste and design be left to the majority?

We weren't debating the validity of either viewpoint, just number of people that share each one.

My first preference IS for a new free-for-all "anything goes" division....any size...instrumentation...etc.

It is still la competitive activity. IMO that is what will guide how shows are put together, so I fail to see the idea that DCI will become meaningless...a free-for-all...maybe. I consider things like cops size and instrumentation to be more 'administrative details' than anything else.

IMO rules should only exist where absolutely necessary. I don't see rules like like corps size and instrumentation as necessary to DCI drum corps.

Safety rules...yes...competitive rules and sheets...yes. Judge training...yes.

Rules exist to keep things organizated and have a set of standard to live by. To remove these rules the activity would turn into a free-for-all. As a teacher do you have a set a rules the kids must abide by or do you just let them do what they want? Because if you do the first one, then you're going against your very nature. I think most people have pretty much figured out you're into the deconstructing drum corps.

We weren't debating the validity of either viewpoint, just number of people that share each one.

If you're not attempting to make any value judgment regarding each position, why would it matter what number of people stand for or against amped pits?

If you're not attempting to make any value judgment regarding each position, why would it matter what number of people stand for or against amped pits?

MikeD was saying I can't possibly know who is in the majority, but I have a feeling everyone knows where the majority lies, I was just trying to coax it out of Mike :)