II/III DVDs

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it me...or is there a certain group of former corps members who are spending an incredible amount of time trying to validate themselves?

Dude, that's exactly what I'm trying to do. And is it so wrong of me to do so? ECJ was an awesome time for me. How many div II/III corps do you know that can get members from different countries and parts of the US to come back year after year? And then I come here and see that not too many people actually appriciate what we do. Peace yall.

Dude, that's exactly what I'm trying to do. And is it so wrong of me to do so? ECJ was an awesome time for me. How many div II/III corps do you know that can get members from different countries and parts of the US to come back year after year? And then I come here and see that not too many people actually appriciate what we do. Peace yall.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...p;#entry1661803

easier than repeating myself :) If only I had a magic wand, I'd make this world a better place for everyone... with a pony.

http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/inde...p;#entry1661803

easier than repeating myself :) If only I had a magic wand, I'd make this world a better place for everyone... with a pony.

While I do agree with your post in that thread, I still have a hard time believing that every show I've marched has been as terrible as people on here seem to say they are.

While I do agree with your post in that thread, I still have a hard time believing that every show I've marched has been as terrible as people on here seem to say they are.

EAST COAST JAZZ - (third viewing) - There were moments when I could have been perfectly happy using a coin toss to determine the "better" corps between ECJ and Spartans - they were that good.

Chick Corea's music (and Chick marched in a corps in Malden, I think) has to be played aggressively but with an almost off-hand approach to the rhythm - ECJ pulled it off.

Their guard in particular was wonderfully well-staged and had total command of equipment work.

This corps has a reputation for putting jaw-dropping soprano soloists on the field - this year's edition was floating through "Spanish Heart" when a lightening strike happened just "over there" - and a truly frightening crack of thunder ripped the air...ECJ's manager Fred Ford was heard to say "ah... the heavens weep" - which, when another bolt cracked what felt like a block away, kind of felt like flipping off an active volcano.

But the show went on into the finale of "Spanish Fantasy" - the last explosive ninety seconds - with a potential championship on the line - and we suddenly saw Fred go flying down the steps to the field shouting "no, no, no..." - when we looked down we saw the T&P judge standing in front of the DM, holding up a hand - which was pretty useless as the DM was standing on a platform about a dozen feet in the air.

And I don't think the DM was in a mood to see him anyway....

As the lightening fell again the announce shouted "stop the corps...stop the corps" and the crowd saw what was up - a roar began from the stands and the T&P judge threw up his hands and the corps went on the finish - I didn't think I'd see a corps that flat won the crowd like Jersey Surf for a year - and here they were an hour later.

East Coast Jazz- My favorite show of the year hands down. I don't know what you feed those soprano players but they are just monsters. I think they could hang with any div 1 line in the activity this year. An interesting approach to the familiar music of chick corea. I was very pleased they took those peices and made them their own and didn't try to emulate other corps renditions of the pieces.

The first Division II corps to compete was East Coast Jazz, who have been quite busy the last couple of weeks as they made some effective changes to their show. They seemed to have endeavored to spread out more on the field, add some very nice guard effects, step up the pace and make the ending much more interesting. As they have already perfected their marching and visual skills, this greatly added to their overall performance. I think the black and white individual flag solos here and there were new and these were very eye catching and well-done. Throughout the show, their guard is really accomplished, beautiful and interprets their music perfectly. I particularly enjoy the flowing purple flag effects in the Roseland Ballroom number and the red, black and orange flagwork that captures the Spanish flavor of La Fiesta. As always, the soloists were wonderful and the brass sound was rich and warm. I also appreciated for the first time what a really excellent job the battery does. This is a fine corps that has worked hard to earn their place near the top of their division. They are classy competitors. Best of luck with the rest of your tour and I shall see you in Brockton for the big showdown, East Coast Jazz.
East Coast Jazz-the drum line-wow! I could tell Charlie Poole was teaching there, that’s for sure. Just as the Spartans were obvious in their portrayal of having Cadets alumnus teaching them, the East Coast Jazz were obvious that they had 27th Lancers alumnus teaching them. Oh this horn line could play. It was fun to watch.

East Coast Jazz - Their Harlem Suite show was a pleasure to watch. The show opens with a contra feature. Take the 'A' Train was one of my favorite charts of the day. The crowd showed strong support. Nice trumpet solos.
East Coast Jazz:

As they stepped on the field we could see some lightening in the distance, and were hoping that ECJ would be able to get their full show in.

Wow! I didn’t get to see them last year, but this is certainly a different corps than 2004. 36B, 17 CG; 8 snares; 4 tenors; 5 bass; 14 pit. Boy can that hornline play! A wonderful brassy and jazzy sound with nice use of mutes and add some squealers. The snareline was rocking and I enjoyed their rendition of A Train. I know Academy are turning heads and Spartans are their usual excellence, but ECJ definitely deserves a second look.

I don't know about you, but these all seem pretty positive to me, and they all came off of DCP threads :)

I don't know about you, but these all seem pretty positive to me, and they all came off of DCP threads :)

Yes, those reviews are pretty positive, but there are quite a few other reviews that weren't so kind. Also, ECJ was the second corps voted off for Div 2 Survivor last year. There's evidence for both arguments.

[/my presence in this thread]

Edited by TSRTS13

Yes, those reviews are pretty positive, but there are quite a few other reviews that weren't so kind. Also, ECJ was the second corps voted off for Div 2 Survivor last year. There's evidence for both arguments.

[/my presence in this thread]

Why are you entitled to only positive reactions to your show?

dcp survivor = slotting for next summer. duh.

:lol: