Dot books or Charts?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That doesn't really help me out. How is it written to avoid that? I'm looking for some concrete insight into the dot only system.

Why would I know? I just marched my dots.

I'm not suggesting that you don't know, just that the info you are giving isn't what I'm looking for. Don't get your little plastic gears all knotted up. I'm just trying to figure it all out.

I wasn't being sarcastic.

If a line is at an angle and it is going to a front, if you take a straight line path to that spot, the spacing will close a little and then open up again at the end. I'm sorry Mr. Cavalier if you don't understand that. Have you ever used a protractor or compass? The point is clearly demonstrated. In order to avoid this, many corps use a curved path. Apparently the Cavaliers do not use curved paths, so my question is how do they avoid this effect? In theory, you could make several low count moves, but that seems rather inefficient. I use dots when cleaning drill, and I'm interested in the full dot only system that Cavaliers use, because visually they are quite stunning.

You know, I've never thought about this problem. But, I think I have an answer.

They don't worry about the distance between each person in the middle of a move. The interval will take care of itself as long as everyone is taking the correct path and step size.

There's an example of this at the end of the opener in 2003. The form a block slanted to the right, then move the slant to the left. When the diagonals become straight lines they have a smaller interval than when they are diagonals. Does the move looks clean? Yes, because everyone is taking a consistent step size and getting to their next coordinate at the right time, so the interval changes don't matter.

Also, if you notice at the beginning of the closer in 2002 when the line of horns come to the 50 and then creates a block their interval is different before the move and after. It's the expansion that makes that move effective. (That, and the cymbal splash put in the perfect place)

It's ok for the interval to change as long as it's consistant.

I wasn't being sarcastic.

Oh, OK. Good.

You know, I've never thought about this problem. But, I think I have an answer.

They don't worry about the distance between each person in the middle of a move. The interval will take care of itself as long as everyone is taking the correct path and step size.

There's an example of this at the end of the opener in 2003. The form a block slanted to the right, then move the slant to the left. When the diagonals become straight lines they have a smaller interval than when they are diagonals. Does the move looks clean? Yes, because everyone is taking a consistent step size and getting to their next coordinate at the right time, so the interval changes don't matter.

Also, if you notice at the beginning of the closer in 2002 when the line of horns come to the 50 and then creates a block their interval is different before the move and after. It's the expansion that makes that move effective. (That, and the cymbal splash put in the perfect place)

It's ok for the interval to change as long as it's consistant.

If the corps is using consistant intervals throughout the ensemble, does the contracting look odd when it only takes place in a small part of the corps? Also, how would one do a block rotation without it contracting?

Oh, OK. Good.

If the corps is using consistant intervals throughout the ensemble, does the contracting look odd when it only takes place in a small part of the corps? Also, how would one do a block rotation without it contracting?

Most block rotations do contract.

Or they probably look horrible with everyone taking curved paths and trying to keep up multiple dress points.

how would one do a block rotation without it contracting?

Actually, if you watch Cavaliers rotating blocks - I think they do contract

I want to say the rotating block (within the larger block) in 92 did just that.

Oh, OK. Good.

If the corps is using consistant intervals throughout the ensemble, does the contracting look odd when it only takes place in a small part of the corps?

I guess it woudl depend on how it was staged.

Also, how would one do a block rotation without it contracting?

Take a curved path. I think it's better to just let it contract.

I think trying to get everyone to take a curved path so that no contractions occured would ultimately be a waste of time and probably result in a worse-looking rotation.

People have enough trouble going from point A to point B at the right time in a straight line already.