Dot books or Charts?

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I marched we were given charts and had to make out "dot books" from them.

We used the charts to learn drill-that we way saw how we fit into the form and were able to find things such as intervals and such.

Once we learned the drill we used dot books. In the dot book we would draw the form, write who we were in between, our interval, our step size, etc. and used that for cleaning.

I am not a fan of the dot to dot thing because everyone one of us are flawed in some way and will not always make it to our exact dot, I don't care what corps we're in or how we are taught, we're not robots. It helps to know the form, that way if a form is slightly off in transition or when it's about to hit, we can actually do something about it, instead of standing in an arc form with 70 variations of what the form should look like, but that's just me.

the cavies use dots so it must be the way to go i love the cavies they're amazing

Word is that Regiment, BD, SCV, and Cadets are not half bad either...and none of them are strictly dot oriented.

they may not be half bad but they're not insanely good or efficient for that matter

Oh, I thought you were being sarcastic in the first post. Anyway, dots don't always work. I say this when thinking of reshapes that don't have straight line paths. I'm pretty sure Cavaliers use all straight line paths so it's not a problem for them. I can't say the same thing about many other corps though, especially Cadets.

At the first corps, they gave us charts, and you wrote your dot down off the chart.

2nd corps we had charts and coordinate sheets, but after the drill was learned, no one really used either.

The best system I ever used was in high school with coordinate sheet only, and never dressing the form. No suprise that we learned drill faster and more accurately than either of those corps.

After using charts, I've learned to hate them with a passion. But even more, is I hate when dots are "sprayed" on the ground as you learn the drill, which both of my corps did. You never learn the exact spot you're supposed to go to, you just rely on muscle memory, which will vary as the course of the season goes on. I refused to let someone spray my dot on the ground, and I chose to memorize it instead.

I got sick of the heated arguments of me saying "I'm on my dot" and everyone else saying "get in the form". Even when we were "cleaning" drill, set by set. Charts yield little individual accountability.

Man, I'm looking forward to next summer.

At Blue Devils, we were given charts for the first day, when we learned the drill, then, after that we were expected to know all of our dots and yardline relationships and people's dots on either side of us for reference. Yes, we kept it all in our heads, people are capable of that. Other groups could do it too, but what am I thinking, that would be expecting too much from them.

I was gonna say that I don't remember any charts or dots. We were put into each form/set by the staff and expected to remember both the position and transition from set to set. Caught h e l l if we missed it too!

Both

Dot book: for on the field, as we are going from set to set chunking. It included the important information (yardlines, hash, counts, any pass throughs or special instructions, and the musical phrase)

Drill pages: for our binders with the page protectors, so we could go back later on and check stuff. Some members did make copies and place their section of the drill page in the dot book. Drill binders were required to be at some rehearsals, but they were put in our bags off the field.

It helps to know the form, that way if a form is slightly off in transition or when it's about to hit, we can actually do something about it, instead of standing in an arc form with 70 variations of what the form should look like

Yeah, the dot system continues to be completely misunderstood.