2007 SCV title

Soon to be announced: "The Santa Clara Vanguard Cadets are proud to present their 2007 program, '&'."

correction: I just learned from my inside source that it's gonna be called "/."

Also recently announced, the Crossmen are going to reprise their 1992 show, titled "?"

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This isn't rocket science. Archimedes made a discovery. He exclaimed, "Eureka," which means, roughly, "I've got it." Some computer programmers made a similar connection when they made the word "Eureka" synonymous with the character "exclamation point." In other words, think outside the box...though in this case, I don't think you have get too abstract. We see concepts conveyed through symbols all the time. For instance, in comic strips, we sometimes see a "!" and nothing more in one of those big bubble things that denotes discovery, or surprise, or wow, all of which are, that's right, exclamations.

This isn't rocket science. Archimedes made a discovery. He exclaimed, "Eureka," which means, roughly, "I've got it." Some computer programmers made a similar connection when they made the word "Eureka" synonymous with the character "exclamation point." In other words, think outside the box...though in this case, I don't think you have get too abstract. We see concepts conveyed through symbols all the time. For instance, in comic strips, we sometimes see a "!" and nothing more in one of those big bubble things that denotes discovery, or surprise, or wow, all of which are, that's right, exclamations.

Jeez ... you're taking this all way too seriously. If you don't think that a corps giving their show a title that is simply a punctuation mark, and then telling people that "!" means "eureka" is both pretentious and a cause for amusement, then you'd better be on the lookout for a new sense of humor. :D

Remember when "Politically Incorrect" would give out their "get over yourself" award, in the shape of Prince's name-glyph? With the exclamation point, SCV crossed the line from "abstract" to "gimme a break." IMHO, of course.