Most alienated group...

Mexicans.. definetly those mexicans.

LoL!

Just playin (and yes,, im HIsPANIC!!)

I would say the pit. They have it rougher than people thing, but someone else hit it right on the head when they talked about getting yelled at about helping. Everywhere ive ever been there is usually really 1 or 2 people in a pit of 13 that are always complaining.

Ive been yelled at WHILE carrying a big tympani across a school campus about how the battery never helps! lol

Im like "yo! my quads are on the other side of the school still... so quit gripin at me!". But yeah, they have it pretty tough. I would saw aux guys the most. One of my bro bro's from last summer had 5 tympani, drum racks, cymbal stands etc.

oh well! Every section has their crud they gotta deal with. Nobody has it "Easy" out there in my mind.

Tony

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my high school, the guard is actually separate from the rest of the band. Different teacher, different attitude, even a different class. It was really odd, actually, on many occasions when the band did poorly and the "drill team" (what the guard calls themselves) did well, the drill team was excited and happy (or visa versa), oblivious to how the band did. Very odd.

In my experience in corps, however, certainly the pit. It was a chore for many to help them with their stuff, since "they don't march," and other stuff like that.

Edited by crashhelmi36

I would also say the pit, and some of it is self imposed. We practice by ourselves more than any other section. We have to load the truck, which usually means, eating later than the most of the corps, which means, showering later than most of the corps.

P.S.

My pit prided ourselves on not having others help the pit, it's our stuff, we'll deal with it.

Edited by MGCpimpOtimp

In general, which "group" is the most alienated within a drum corps?

Now I am not trying to start anything negative at all or anything but the question comes from my backstory...

When I was in high school, I gained my entrance into music through colorguard/auxiliaries. We were, honestly, the most alienated group from the team, if that makes any sense. There would be ongoing jokes about us or the band just generally disregarded us as anything important. In short, they disrespected us. My quest was to eventually become a part of percussion, which I finally did in my senior year.

I mean, I know that the backstory to my question can'/should be seen as typical high school [expletive acronym deleted] immaturity; however, alienation of groups prevail in modern society so I can imagine that groups within the microcosm of drum corps can potentially be alienated as well.

I don't have experience, unfortunately, in drum corps whatsoever so I really don't have any idea if that happens. It happens at work, that's for sure...

Any thoughts?

Sounds like you had an unnesessary negative experience through no fault

of your own. When I marched I was always a perc player. We even managed

to get our own bus. The other kids didn't want to ride with us because we were

always drumming and driving them crazy. Other than that, we all wore the same

uniform for the same reason and we wanted everyone in the corps to do well.

My pit prided ourselves on not having others help the pit, it's our stuff, we'll deal with it.

Man, you are my hero! :beer:

The worst is when members of the pit sit on their arses and watch somebody else load their sheeiit. :sleeping:

You play it, you carry it. Spread the word.

your pit was allowed to do that? :o

I don't help people who can't help themselves.

but.....I wouldn't take back my times w/the pit peoples for 'nuthin. :D

You rarely see strife within the sections, it was usually tension between obvious lines - Percussion (Pit+Battery) - Guard- Horns. Rarely would it occur within any of those groups.

At the Americanos we would do horn appreciation day - towards the end of the season all highbrass would march lowbrass instruments and the lowbrass would get highbrass instruments for part of one visual block. (Sure, it wasn't the most efficient rehearsal technically speaking, but it did wonders for relieving late-season tension within the section).

As far as the individual Corps goes - the Pit is easily the most alienated. However, as far as DCI goes, Only a few corps are marching cymbal lines, so I believe the plates are the most [DCI] Alienated section

Pit players always take heat because they don't have to march. On the other hand, plates take heat because instructors want to put the instruments in the pit.....go figure. :P