Spyware

Lancerlady

Our computer would automatically dial up and we couldn't figure out why. That is when we disocovered the spyware ad problem that was causing it to dial up without us doing it. We don't have DSL yet cause we're in the process of moving. We did a virus check and it came back with 14 infected possibilities and this site was one of them.

Ineresting as I had that about 5-10 years before. Turned out someone sent me a CD with a movie (.avi?) file on it that needed "updated" software to use. (This before DVD drives became popular.) The software I downloaded had spyware attached to it which we discovered when the frigging PC tried to connect to the SpyWare site after we disconnected from the Internet. Guy who sent me the file never noticed the SpyWare because he would turn the PC off immediately after logging off. Crap, if we weren't playing a game after getting offline, we never would have noticed either.

Oh yeah, the site I downloaded the software from covered their butt by having "by downloading this software you allow us to....." buried in a 10 screen contract.

And doesn't look like I'm getting the Google ads on DCP while at home. Should check my work PC as this sounds familiar.

I noticed that when I was searching for real estate cause we're moving, the location of where we were looking for popped up in the ad up on top. So yeah, it's safe to assume it's this sites spyware that's one of the problems.

I would bet that this is your problem, but I'm not a computer guru.

I don't think the problem is with DCP. I believe your spy finding program is probably just seeing the cookies that are from DCP. I assume (sorry)that you are going to sites that you aren't familiar with that are found by using Google.

I am also checking into real estate. I have noticed that at least 90% of the real estate search results using Google are junk sites. Although I haven't noticed anything showing up in the Google ads specifically, I have noticed other strange things occuring.

I have recently changed my search strategy by going to sites I can trust that are local to the area I am looking at (NOLA.com and Latter & Blum Real Estate in New Orleans). Using a local source also gives access to the local MLS system, typically.

Wow, thanks for all the responses. I appreciate the information. We ran it through again this morning and discovered there is another source, "smiley central"..dang smileys. So we deleted that from our source. We also recently updated to the new Microsoft version so that may have something to do with it. :doh:

It seemed odd to me that whatever I would google would show up above on this forum and nowhere else but what you say (above poster) makes logical sense to me. :) But I will see how it goes now and let y'all know.

As Mike mentioned earlier, DCP uses Google's AdSense to deliver advert banners that are dependant on the content of the page they're inserted in. We do NOT use their Google Search tool. Google does utilize cookies - as the vast majority of websites do today, including DCP Partners sites.

The IPB forum software uses a cookie to keep track of a number of things - including data that helps it display only new messages, messages since the last time you were signed-on, login-state, etc. NO PERSONALLY IDENTIFIABLE INFORMATION is stored in these cookies used by DCP.

I downloaded the most recent version of AdAware SE and executed it against my WinXP system (I've used a different version for a number of years.) While it found a number of "Tracking Cookies" in my cookie cache - it did not find anything related to DrumCorpsPlanet.com. To suggest that DCP is distributing "spyware" is reckless and I'll ask that anyone who has concerns in this area contact me directly via PM.

Thanks

-john

I didn't say that DCP is distributing it I said that the google ads used by DCP must be using it. That's why I suggested that DCP had it, indirectly as you admitted. I said it is "contributing" to the problem, and I don't think that's reckless but trying to be responsible by getting to the bottom of the problem.

This is the customer service area so I posted here to get help with the problem, and I got it.

I certainly didn't intend to "offend" anyone with my question.

My adware does find things but spy bot found all kinds of stuff that adwared doesn't get, sometimes these companies have a way of working around adware or certain programs. It's like even with a virus program you can still get a virus.

Edited by Lancerlady

Interesting... For the first time since ???? I noticed a set of Google ads LancerLady posted about. About ten different screens later haven't seen them since.

Here's one of them: Low prices/ Quick shipping Spill Pallets and Drum Storage <snipped url>

Chalk one up for Google going on keywords.... What's next, ad for Bugles snack food??? :P

Ironically, the banner ad at the bottom of this page is for ConterSpy anti-spyware software.