Spyware

Lancerlady

Okay, so it seems that when I log on the planet up at the top in the google ad, there is always something in reference to something that I have searched in google. When did DCP allow it's sponsors to keep tabs on their members with Spyware? It's growing tiresome to have to check and clean out my files every day, It really makes me not want to log in as much.

perhaps you should check out problems on your end before assuming it's the site's doing.....

Edit: I get the google ads that are corps related. but nothing that I've searched.

perhaps you can take screenshots for examples?

I know little about it, but that (as far as I know) the google adds are supposed to be site related.

hopefully someone who knows about this can help.

If you're referring to the Google ads matching recent searches, then you're talking about Google AdSense. It's a way for DCP to make money - you know, to keep being free. :) And Google has very strict controls about how its ad program operates - still probably the safest option that we can put on here.

Mike

OK, which ads are we talking about? I keep seeing the same ones come up and it's usually CGP or DCW selling stuff.

See enough of the content AdSense when I use Google to check newsgroups. Sometimes what comes up can be hilarious.....

perhaps you should check out problems on your end before assuming it's the site's doing.....

Edit: I get the google ads that are corps related. but nothing that I've searched.

perhaps you can take screenshots for examples?

I know little about it, but that (as far as I know) the google adds are supposed to be site related.

hopefully someone who knows about this can help.

We did check out our "problems on our end" and that is why I know it's the website. It's not just this site the does it, but it is one of the ones contributing to the problem. Our computer would automatically dial up and we couldn't figure out why. That is when we disocovered the spyware ad problem that was causing it to dial up without us doing it. We don't have DSL yet cause we're in the process of moving. We did a virus check and it came back with 14 infected possibilities and this site was one of them.

I noticed that when I was searching for real estate cause we're moving, the location of where we were looking for popped up in the ad up on top. So yeah, it's safe to assume it's this sites spyware that's one of the problems.

And Jim I'm talking about the google ad at the top. :)

I'm just wondering if this site can do anything to curtail the problem so spy ware doesn't lock into to our computer. :beer: It kept blowing our mind when the computer would dial up on it's own and that was what was causing it to do that.

yeah, I dunno. I'm w/the guy who said he only gets the google adds that contain drum corps stuff.

how could it be different across users? (John?)

I guess I should say that we ran the adware program through and discovered this, just for clarification.

There's no "spyware" involved. Google keeps track of users' preferences to try to provide them with ads that might be more helpful to what they're looking for. Nothing diabolical to see here.

Here's how you fix the problem:

1. Download and install Firefox

2. Download and install the AdBlock extension

3. Tell AdBlock to block the Google ad.

4. Download and install the NoScript extension

5. Tell NoScript to only allow scripts from www.drumcorpsplanet.com

Done. :D