Old Senior Corps Photos

Frank, in my Jr. corps days, I remember Marion Cadets played as their opener "The Joker" This was around 1969, 70 and 71. Could this be the same Chart you are speaking of, in regards to Sunrisers?

I've heard a few corps do "Joker"...Toronto Optimist roared off the line with it in 1968 (I think?) and Marion's recording at the US Open in 1970 playing it OTL in front of the hometown crowd still raises goosebumps as the crowd roars...but Sun I think (and this is just a fan's perspective) used it almost as a theme song or "standard" for several years. Their triple tongueing and screaming lead sops put "Joker" in a totally different league than Marion, great as their arrangement was. Just a fan's opinion...

Edited by Commander71

I always thought the "Sunrisers" Unies looked good on the field. The way they combined the Orange, White and Blue. (that can be very ugly if not done right.) But "Sun's" was in just the right combination. AND, they must have taken Very Good care of them. they alway's looked like NEW.

Satin or Cadet - Aussie or Shako.

(Boy. I remember when they opened that Curtain at Carnigie Hall. No doubt who it wa that night.)

WooHoo!! THANKS FTD!

Ok, it was 45 years ago, so I'm taking this shot from 3-point range.

My best guess on the French Hornist in question is the same as Bob Murphy's, above:

Charlie Howell, former Marine Corps, presently an attorney in Hawaii. That said, it is also possible it's Tommy Leonard, former Queensmen FH, present whereabouts unknown.

I believe the photo itself is from the first Shriner's International in 1965. We were still in the satin blouses. The cadet unis came in '66, in time for the exhibition at Molloy HS.

This photo is listed as 1965 and the DL is wearing the Cadet jackets... (could this photo be from 66 and not 65?)

http://www.sunrisers.com/images/photos/196..._drumline.shtml

Somewhere there's a photo of the tenor line at that show: Judge Steve Paynter, Pete Hayes, Billy Cobham and Bobby Files, playing the split "jungle beat" part in "The Joker".

Frank, Is this that photo?

Sunrisers In Exhibition At

The Archbishop Malloy High School

Briarwood, New York

http://www.sunrisers.com/images/photos/196...igh_drums.shtml

Sunrisers Drumline Featuring (left to right):

Steve "Judge" Paynter, Billy Cobham, Bobby "Shoes" Files, Pete Hayes, "Stig", unknown, Orus Cavnor and Bobby Wentzel on Cymbals. Sunrisers Photo supplied by Frank Dorritie

Paynter and Hayes will reprise this next week at the BHOF I&E show at the Garfield VFW, along with many of the original Jokers in the Sunriser Reunion Ensemble.

Don't mis this one folks!! :smile:

Donna and I are looking forward to seeing and hearing the Reunion Ensemble!!

Upon further review, and consultation with Steve "Golden Eagle" Buglino, I'm calling this for Tommy Leonard.

If the photo is from '65, evidenced by the Shriner guy in the ceremonial fez, and the Shriner hospital kids, and the fact that the first Shriner show was in '65, it can't be Charlie Howell since he, along with John Sasso, Skip Heaney and the aforementioned Mr. Buglino, was playing that new fangled mellophone beast that year.

The uniform thing still vexes, however. The drum line photo posted by TennTux shows a different tenor section from the one at Molloy. Perhaps we obtained the cadet jackets mid-way through the '65 season. More investigation is required here.

Incidentally, the last unit to wear those jackets was the 1975 St. Francis Prep marching band when I was director there. I made a deal with Sun director Mike DeLorenzo to donate the jackets in lieu of the back pay the corps owed me from previous years, before he took over.

"The Joker" was from the soundtrack of the Broadway show "The Roar of the Greasepaint, the Smell of the Crowd", by Anthony Newley ("Who Can I Turn To") and Leslie Bricusse. I'm sure it was the same tune Marion played, as had the Marine Corps, but we Sunrisers always felt we "owned" it. We did, actually.

Edited by ironlips

By George, Tommy Leonard it is!!! It looks a lot like Charlie Howell but even more like TL.

One thing bothered me about suggesting Charlie...I really can't picture him being nice to little kids and the guys in the picture looks like he's diggin' it.

The think the Pittsburg Rockets played Joker as a feature in '65 or '66. Nice chart.

By George, Tommy Leonard it is!!! It looks a lot like Charlie Howell but even more like TL.

One thing bothered me about suggesting Charlie...I really can't picture him being nice to little kids and the guys in the picture looks like he's diggin' it.

The think the Pittsburg Rockets played Joker as a feature in '65 or '66. Nice chart.

I always liked Marions version of The Joker.. Now I need to hear Sunrisers arrangement!

does a recording exist?

I always liked Marions version of The Joker.. Now I need to hear Sunrisers arrangement!

does a recording exist?

Yes there are several.....

Are you going to be in Garfield on the 27th for the BHOF show?

Why settle for a recording when you can hear it LIVE! (with some of the ORIGINAL performers playing it again!)

The Sunrisers Reunion Ensemble will be playing "The Joker", "Rock-a-bye" and "Sunrise".

Show on the 27th starts at noon...

http://www.skyalumni.org/BHOF.html

BENDA-ROEHRICH VFW POST 2867

340 Outwater Lane

Garfield, NJ

As Tony said, several recordings of "The Joker" by the Sunrisers exist. One of the best recordings I remember has to be one of the Symphony Hall recordings. I'm thinking it was 1968, but I'm not sure. I'll have to dig through the old Fleetwoods to find out which year it was. I don't think they played it yet in '67, so it's likely the '68 or '69 'Evening With the Corps' show.

I once heard a certain drum instructor would only agree to write for and teach Sun if they dropped 'Joker' from the routine. Often wondered if it was true or just another drum corps myth. Not looking to start trouble, but just curious. If anyone knows for sure, PM me! I always liked the song, myself. Didn't realize it was from 'Roar of the Greasepaint.' I'm familiar with the Sergio Mendes 'Brasil 66' version.

We first played "The Joker" in '66. The recording from DCA finals is the definitive one. It was held over in '67, and the '68 NY Legion State (Master Recordings) and the Baltimore show (March of Champions, Vol.1, Fleetwood) are probably the best overall documented performances. It was also used a few times for indoor exhibitions in '69, I believe.

By that summer, it was time to rotate it out for a while. Jerry Shellmer was the percussion chief by then. I don't remember him having any objection to the tune, per se, but we all felt Aquarius would make a pretty good production number, and it did.

The Joker made a come-back a few years later, with John Arietano re-orchestrating John Sasso's original chart. The one we'll play next week is the '66 version, though Screech's score is almost identical.

Upon further review, and consultation with Steve "Golden Eagle" Buglino, I'm calling this for Tommy Leonard.

If the photo is from '65, evidenced by the Shriner guy in the ceremonial fez, and the Shriner hospital kids, and the fact that the first Shriner show was in '65, it can't be Charlie Howell since he, along with John Sasso, Skip Heaney and the aforementioned Mr. Buglino, was playing that new fangled mellophone beast that year.

The uniform thing still vexes, however. The drum line photo posted by TennTux shows a different tenor section from the one at Molloy. Perhaps we obtained the cadet jackets mid-way through the '65 season. More investigation is required here.

Incidentally, the last unit to wear those jackets was the 1975 St. Francis Prep marching band when I was director there. I made a deal with Sun director Mike DeLorenzo to donate the jackets in lieu of the back pay the corps owed me from previous years, before he took over.

"The Joker" was from the soundtrack of the Broadway show "The Roar of the Greasepaint, the Smell of the Crowd", by Anthony Newley ("Who Can I Turn To") and Leslie Bricusse. I'm sure it was the same tune Marion played, as had the Marine Corps, but we Sunrisers always felt we "owned" it. We did, actually.

We relentlessly kidded Tommy Leonard about this. We were all checking to see how much was left in the "Wail Juice" cooler, and Tommy was recruited by Fred Rose to show kids the horn. Tommy L. was the first horn he saw.

My memory tells me the new cadet uniforms were introduced at the Cavalcade of Champions, Bucknell Stadium on August 14, 1965. We all felt 10 feet tall going out onto the field. I know I did, and the performance was even taller. If my memory is skewed by a show, we still felt that way, but definitely had them at Bucknell. We were soooo hyped that night.

Now I gotta go listen to the CD again. (FCLP 2156 $1 to Glenn) Quintet was HUGE, and so was everything else. :smile:

And the mellophones. Ohhh, the mellophones!!

Edit: removed "Oh yeah"

Edited by Mellofello01