My Son the Drum Corps Nut

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am the mother of an autistic child, as well as an alum of the Blue Devils. Naturally, when my son was little he was subjected to many hours of DCI tapes, mostly BD finals. At first, he seemed to like the music and the colors. In time he became a huge fan of the Devils, spinning a mini-flag and dancing around while the tapes played. When championships were in D.C. I didn't think he could handle all the stimulation of a full show, so I looked up The Blue Devils housing site and decided to take him to a practice. When we pulled into the parking lot, he was absolutely dumbfounded. Each vehicle with the logo blew him away. "MOM! A Bwoo Debil twuck! MOM! A Bwoo Debil Bus!" We stood in the horn arc, we watched run-throughs, we soaked up as much as we could without being nuisances. OK, maybe we were nuisances. The thing that was so touching to me about the experience was not just the joy my son had on his face seeing his heroes in person but everyone else's reaction to him. They exemplified what we all know of as that familial warmth that is drum corps. Jay Murphy giving him a piggy-back ride. Members showing him the instruments and guard equipment. Dave Gibbs helping him get a snack from the food truck. I doubt that he will ever be able to accomplish what is required if he wanted to march. As high-functioning as he is, he couldn't handle the stresses of sleeping in different places or having to be with people for that much time. It was wonderful though to have him welcomed so lovingly into the "family"

It's funny that as a member, when you're out there doing the work, you don't realize all of this goes on. At least I didn't. But after the fact, you realize all the things that go into drum corps, and then you appreciate your time that much more. Once you do, you realize how important it is to keep this thing going at any cost. This is yet another reason why.

It's funny that as a member, when you're out there doing the work, you don't realize all of this goes on. At least I didn't. But after the fact, you realize all the things that go into drum corps, and then you appreciate your time that much more. Once you do, you realize how important it is to keep this thing going at any cost. This is yet another reason why.

Yes, for as much as drum corps means to us as members, it also means a lot to those who aren't on the field.

I always felt that 1978 was a pretty lousy way to end my marching career - aging out in 7th place. This article made me feel darn good about that show and the experience. Nothing like the delight of a young person to put things in perspective!

Thanks, Mike, and the family

Great article, Mike! :)

Steven will be a better human being for what his parents are doing. (And I hope they do get him on the field in the coming years.)

I always felt that 1978 was a pretty lousy way to end my marching career - aging out in 7th place. This article made me feel darn good about that show and the experience. Nothing like the delight of a young person to put things in perspective!

Thanks, Mike, and the family

True. And remember there are hundreds of kids from 1978 who would have loved to have aged out in 7th place and thousands more who would have just loved to have been able to have marched that year...or any year.

WOW.... That's all that can be said, WOW.

Mike, My mother is a special education teacher. She works with Autistic kids at an elementary! I am sending her this article.

From what I have heard, it is amazing that he responds so well to drum corps. He is one lucky dad!

Edited by g0at