off the wall idea

Put two corps on the field and have them run their shows simultaneously. Whoever has the most members standing after 11 and 1/2 minutes wins!

Well I guess you could say that Cap Reg already tried this in DeKalb...didn't go so well if memory serves. (they're lucky they didn't try that with my corps)

would be interesting to see what would happen if say Phantom and Colts traded uniforms for a show and were announced as each other.

Honestly, there would probably be a score difference - but not as dramatic as you'd think. There are times when corps have a down show but get that little benefit of the doubt, (because they are BD or PR) but its not as common as you'd think.

if the Cavaliers were to put on Colt Cadet uniforms and play the Colt Cadet show, would they still score very low

Their score would be pretty low in the repetoire column, and as high as the demand would allow in the excellence column.

As to the topic itself - various uniforms serve certain functions:

Dark colors - serve to cover up dirt, but also can make the corps look smaller

Light Colors - show everything, really put a spotlight on intervals, but make the corps look huge

There are pro's and con's to both dark and light - but in the end it just comes down to a group of well trained people performing a well designed show. Without both, you have a good corps, but they won't be great.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I&E is fairly judged without bias toward the corps the member(s) comes from.

One of the guard girls from Spokane Thunder placed second in the I&E dance category. I don't think it is unfairly judged at all.

An easier way to accomplish this would be to gouge out the eyes of all the judges and then stuff their ears full of airplane glue.

Sounds like many of you don't think the current system is fair, that its more ice dancing than merit based.

All of you are so very pretty, how can I pick the prettiest?

:lookaround:

that's a start

Having corps in the same uni doing the same show etc is impossible. The only way to have the "uniform" or "name" factor nulified is to have non-corps people judge the shows. Pull some judges from real life that are familiar with music, theater, military, dance etc and give them the criteria they are judging on. They shouldn't be corps fans, but should be fans of marching arts or the arts in general.

My guess is we see some interesting results, but largly the DCI judges get it right. For example, Cadets win drums over the Crossmen, but maybe GE scores flip. A "non corps" person often can agree a top placing corps is better and more polished, but often prefer the fan friendly shows of lower placing corps.

Are you kidding? If anything, I&E is where all the "lower echelon" corps shine. One trumpet player from East Coast Jazz (I think he posts on here) consistently places in the top 3 or so in the Solo Trumpet caption, not to mention all the other ensembles from "lower" Div 1s and all the Div. 2+3 corps. No one is getting screwed over at I&E because they don't happen to be a Blue Devil or a Cadet, that's ridiculous. If anything, I&E is probably more fair and less biased than the judging of the actual field shows. I wouldn't want them to get rid of the uniforms anyway, I like being able to represent my corps a solo and ensemble event, wearing my uniform, etc etc with all these other corps.

I agree that I&E is judged fairly, all corps have equal opportunity to shine, and most importantly, it looks like the participants AND judges have a good time. Fun.

One way to eliminate potential bias might be to put up a screen between performer and judge as some states do in their state band auditions.

Wouldn't work well for percussion entries though.

Actually, if you want a "blind" test, I'd propose that the GE music judge should judge blindfolded. What do they need to look at anyhow?

Just my 2c.

Well, the back of the GE Music sheet has a great deal to do with the integration of the musical production with the visual production, so the judge actually does need to see what's going on.

This integration aspect is why, within a year or two, we'll see the panel changed to include two "overall" GE judges instead of the currently separate GE Music and Visual judges.

Sorry if I just missed your sarcasm and you knew that already.

My rookie year a contra player from our div III won the highest note competition on a baritone! The BD screamers were very upset

I'm not sure this is something one would normally admit in polite company.... :lookaround:

I had this idea a few years back to put all the corps in a generic uniform and not announce who each corps was when they hit the field...

In all my time in this activity, I get the distinct impression that a corps competitive success is based on the uniform they wear.

Oh! Is that why all the corps in Div. 1 are starting to look alike? :huh:

If you ask me (and many individuals and organizations have) "generic" is just the word I would use to describe the state of uniforms on the field today. :lookaround:

Visual presence is more important than ever in the competitive activity today. What is needed is not a clonned appearance, but rather HIGHLY unique attire and a DISTINCT image for each competitive unit.

Perhaps, as some have suggested, a compulsory performance would be a place to make comparative analysis of technical profciency... But, like Figure Skating before the 90's, it would not have broad-reaching appeal - It might even make the scoring as confusing, if not more so, than that of Skating.

All sarcasm aside, I see a smattering of noble idealism in this thread - the idea that some kind of uniform attire mandates or the addition of complusory performance would somehow level the playing field and diversify the "winning" corps. For starters, if the playing field were ever truly level, it wouldn't be "competition" (Pronounced, "interesting"). In visual terms alone, the field will be changed (though not necessarily leveled) by radical and unique forthcoming design ideas yet to be generated by designers and visual staffs around the country and world.

Rather than wish for every corps to don the same appearance, pray that the activity takes bold (8 to 5) steps forward and rejuvinates itself with a return to individual recognizable uniforms.