Drill Instructor Yelling Good/Bad?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Bob yelled at me a lot during camps...and the first week or two of the summer, and then he left me alone.

His yelling never did anything other than irritate me to the point that I stopped marching like crap.

Man, was he irritating. Yeesh! :P

Well, look how far he brought you. Phantom's show was AMAZING!!!! I've never seen a better Phantom show in my life.

The differance beign that SEAL is training for combat, where a lack of attention to detail could cost you your life or teh lives of your fellows....drum corps marchers are not. Drum corps is not BUD/S...you can't apply the same methods.

Why not? Competetive Drum Corps is nothing more than combat without the shooting. :P

I know that some here have posted that yelling is never the answer or effective...I do agree if the person does it regularly or all of the time. However, this memory will stick with me forever....

A top 5 corps, who I'll leave nameless, showed up at my high school a day before DCI East. (I was in one of their competitor corps, and leaving for tour later that night) Their horn arranger/instructor is a hall of famer. They set up a runthrough just after dinner time...the school was in a suburban neighborhood, and people had walked from their homes to the school football stadium right after they arrived home from work, as they were "curious" about this group from another region of the country whose vehicles went all the way down the street.

The corps played the opener. I thought it was pretty good. The instructor held up the bullhorn and said this..."if that's the way you are going to play it tommorrow, then we might as well go the F.... home....(now yells)....now set it up again, and play the f.....in....chart the way I f....in wrote it!!!!!" Parents are "horrified", and I am laughing big time... My mom's eyes grew big, and my dad leans over and says "he seems to be a bit upset with them"....I laughed and said "yes".....Then my dad says "do your instructors ever yell like that?" I say, "sometimes"....he says, "do you think it will have any effect"?? I say, "we'll see"....the corps set up the opener again, and absolutely blew the roof off the stadium...wow....the instructor holds up the bullhorn and says two words...."better.....proceed...." Yep, you can call it improper....but that corps won East prelims the next day, with everyone there.....Sometimes emotion works, and I don't think anyone in the corps' "feelings were hurt" or "took it personal" when their arranger indicated he didn't think they were putting out.....do I think that he would have gotten the same response if he said "guys, I don't think you are putting enough energy and emotion into the chart".......NO.......

GB