Drill Instructor Yelling Good/Bad?

This was like the first day of Memorial Weekend camp in Madison...Ha!! Just kidding. While we did have instructors in Madison yell from time to time (rare occasion) its because THEY knew we could do better. And there was a trust between member and instructor (who had marched in our same shoes), that they had good reason to be ###### off if we were performing like crap and not upholding the performance level of our corps.

This got me thinking.

Yelling: Is it good/bad to motivate in drum corps. What say you?

CAUTION!!!: A few Blue "cuss" words will follow if you click on the link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYVBlXGuVYg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, the one that comes to mind for me is Bob Smith from Regiment...man.

Uhh.. it's good to motivate in drum corps.

A common problem is that most members who get called out take the correction/yelling personally.

Uhh.. it's good to motivate in drum corps.

A common problem is that most members who get called out take the correction/yelling personally.

I agree 100%.

That's how I learned to march straight legged. I had never known that I was bending my knees before.

Tech: ****, straighter legs! Stop bending your #### legs!

Me saying to myself: Oh yeah? Watch this. I'll lock my legs, then I'll give you straight legs.

Me: *locks legs*

Tech: Good straight legs. Do that all the time.

Me: <_<

A little yelling's not necessarily a bad thing. Forces you to try new things sometimes.

EDIT: Yeah, I realized pretty soon that locking knees was bad. However, I was doing it just to be a smart***, and subsequently found that by working my leg muscles in a different manner, I was able to march straight legged. As our instructor told us: "Yes, your legs are always staright. However, there should be a point at the middle which we call a 'relaxed position.'" It was really just a way to get us to realize that we may have a slight bend, but to not think about bending our knees.

In this way, the yelling was beneficial.

Edited by flashofthunder

That's how I learned to march straight legged. I had never known that I was bending my knees before.

Tech: ****, straighter legs! Stop bending your #### legs!

Me saying to myself: Oh yeah? Watch this. I'll lock my legs, then I'll give you straight legs.

Me: *locks legs*

Tech: Good straight legs. Do that all the time.

Me: <_<

A little yelling's not necessarily a bad thing. Forces you to try new things sometimes.

Locked legs...very impressive! Though I think even the Cadets give a little bend on the upbeat. :P

I don't mind so much the yelling if someone's been told how to do something and just isn;t really trying....

What i DO have a priiblem with is yelling for someone to get somehting right, but not helping that person figure out what they;re doing wrong so it can be corrected...

Most of the staff I've worked under has been pretty laid back. Even the visual staffers, which are generally known as the hardasses of the staff never really yelled. They tended to prefer humiliating sarcasm and comments that mockingly compared us to other corps. Their approach seemed to work pretty well, and they never really raised their voices except to make sure we heard them.

At Dutch Boy we had some drill instructors with AMAZING AIM... Flip flops, drum sticks... anything handy in fact thrown from the top of the truck and hitting their mark.

Yelling is no big deal. I have found that generally the drill instructors are the most intense on the field and the most personable/ approachable off the field. It's their job to make their corps the best they can be. If that includes yelling well then it includes yelling. It's not personal.

How about when your drill instructor tells you: "Get down there,or I'll shoot you myself."

Oh, wait....You mean Drum Corps Drill Instructors.

Nevermind.