Annual 2007 DCI Proposals

Ah Great Idea this way the Cavaliers actually have to EARN a title instead of the musical cop outs they pull

Well that's just plain ignorant. People who know me definitely know what I think of the Cavaliers and pretty much anything Saucedo writes, but I still give credit when it's due. That and I think the music they play is great anyway. Spin Cycle anyone?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a new rule I'd like to see:

All corps must be announced with an actual hometown. You can be announced with a sponsor, but the hometown must be used.

No more Cadets from "Sponsored by YEA!".

Sponsored by YEA, and from Allentown PA, DCI is proud to present The Cadets.

-or-

From Denver, CO, DCI... The Blue Knights.

But no more should anyone be allowed to be from a mythical sponsorship geography.

From Allentown, PA, The YEA!, Busch, Cingular, Pepsi Cadets!

If a corps doesn't feel real attachment to an area, they shouldn't be forced to be announced with the location of their HQ... especially if the locale itself isn't important.

There was a period of time when Oregon Crusaders was actually located in Washington State. It would be embarassing to have to deal with that at every show.

Some asked why Regionalization did not catch on....Here is my post from

the Yamato folding forum that might answer a few questions. The numbered

were questions that a poster was asking about how to keep Division 2/3

from blowing away.....

These proposals have been made in the past, and here is some backround

on why they did or didn't fly then:

1. Severing formal ties with DCI.

>>> Back in the late 80's/early 90's there was a vote of Div 2/3 corps on a Friday night in Chicago to have them go their own way. It was a scary thing for those of us who voted but it made sense back then since other than DCM there was little for those corps to compete in. But on Saturday that was all changed and they fell back in line. Garden State Circuit was reborn because the II/III corps were not getting any shows. At one point we had 14 corps in competition with GSC most of whom did not tour at all. Many of those GSC corps only died because their leadership was not able to find anyone to pass the torch to. Money always had a little to do it - but more often than not we could not find people crazy enough to

wraps their whole lives around drum corps.

2. The use of regional circuits instead of national tours. Perhaps develop one national event for all corps to attend.

>>> DCI came to the West Coast back in the 80's with a plan called Regionalization. That meant that through a series of championships in an area, the best of those corps would be allowed to go to DCI Finals and compete nationally. At that time most of the smaller corps like San Jose Raiders, California Dons, Valley Fever, Conquistadors plus those in the Northwest and SoCal did not want to be LEFT home while everyone else left on tour to the East. It also meant that the drum corps season would be cut very short due to the big guns heading east. It was more a case that noone wanted to be left out. And it was hard to recruit kids when the big corps were offering the chance to tour nationally.

3. More professionally managed fundraising efforts. Not just setting up bingo and hoping people volunteer to work and hoping a crowd will show up.

>>>Anything is possible. It just takes the funds to pay for the professionals or find the volunteers to do the work in association with the professionals. It was hard enough to keep the kid in the corps who was doing seven "other" things - let alone keep the parents involved. Those were tough days when drum corps was more like a babysitting service for the single parents who were looking for mates. There were times we did not even see the parents come down to see their kids off on tour!

4. More local community involvement and exposure. Don't spend the entire summer away from home.

>>>The way Division 2/3 is doing it now is much more logical than the old days in that you have to give the kids something special to draw them in. I remember there was a corps called Pacific Blue from Vancouver, BC that had a BIG corps because they promised to take the kids to Disneyland on their trip to

California each year. There has to be a hook to keep them interested enough to do it all summer. Parades get really old really quick - especially when there are 300 fire trucks pumping out their exhaust and the parade is 3 hours long in the boiling sun. Fastest way to lose the kids! Hopefully the trips to Indy will be much more affordable being more in the center of the country.

5. Introducing a more realistic set of successful parameters to members, staff, parents, volunteers and fans.

>>> I think we are all looking forward to those. Anyone want to offer them up?

6. More local parades, concerts, exhibitions.

>>> One of the ideas that they had from seperating from DCI was so that they could build more shows around State Fairs, Festivals, Concerts, special events. Having them at the state fair (there is one in Indy hint hint) you could bring in people to watch one evening along with other acts - including rock bands and destruction derbys that they already present. DCM had lots of connections with these events and that was the basis of what was going to happen if they did split. It is still a good idea but we just did not have the guts back then to make such a radical change. And the only reason it was proposed is so that 2/3 would be paid attention to I think.

7. More emphasis on teaching, development, less on competition.

>>>Actually Gail Royer was a pioneer in that philosophy. He often spoke of no competitions

and doing music for the sake of music. It never happened with Vanguard but it looks like that

was the thought behind Star taking their seperate direction.

I am sure for anything old, new, borrowed or blue that we can do to revitalize the activity. Keep

those great ideas coming in and perhaps some will stick!

Happy Holidays to all!!!

Pre-PS: My daughter Leighann just got home from camp in San Antonio. This is her fourth year

in Crossmen's guard. She said things went very well and the vets are really trying to let those

who dont know what BONES is really all about.

Precisely why an audit isn't best; why spot checking is effective, but looking at numbers doesn't give the whole picture.

spot checks can be deceiving.

spot checks can be deceiving.

as what is written on paper isn't necessarily what is being practiced by the organization at times.

as what is written on paper isn't necessarily what is being practiced by the organization at times.

exactly.

And let Div II/III kids go out under the lights on finals night. =/

It's not hard to jump to the conclusion that Div II/III numbers are dwindling because people think they're getting a raw deal from the first day to the last.

You have a great point!!! If the D2/3 corps have a chance to perform as champions as they used to at finals if could help to swell the ranks of those corps- just to have a shot at being an exhibition champion at the big night show.

well, 2 years ago CR seemed like they were in great shape...now look. we heard many magic stories, and now look.

there's 2 good reasons why

...Not to mention the fact that even a top D1 corps could end up with a financial goof; then the KG...I mean, the IRS gets into it and can drag DCI in the mess as well. Gotta CYA in this world... :P

BTW; Merry Christmas to all of you on the good Planet! :laugh:

Edited by prodigal bari

...Not to mention the fact that even a top D1 corps could end up with a financial goof; then the KG...I mean, the IRS gets into it and can drag DCI in the mess as well. Gotta CYA in this world... :P

BTW; Merry Christmas to all of you on the good Planet! :laugh:

WARNING - Radical out of box musings below!

Maybe somehow work financial health into the final score/placement?

or

All the $$ goes to DCI and they dole it out to the corps, based on the mileage of their tour, and number of members; DCI charges equal dues for each marcher. All corps would have equal $$ for staff and equipment. Heck, take it all the way and DCI assigns kids to corps on a random basis. All corps have equal numbers of marchers. I suppose this is DCI-Soviet style.

I'll go take my medication now