Annual 2007 DCI Proposals

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given the amount of corps falling by the wayside each year, I'd say there might need to be more proposals on the logistical/business end of the stick...we've got enough "creativity" going with the amount of tools available.

- clarification on why the regional Division I idea never caught on.

- less "super regionals", more local shows...a more regional touring circuit brings more local corps to more local fans. Driving 350-500 miles to see your local unit is a bad idea, as is ignoring a entire region of the country (Pacific North/NorthWest) with Finals almost in its backyard. We send corps across the country/world (see annual Division I corps going out West or to Europe) each year, yet we can't even get it together to put them in our own regions sometimes.

- why Division II/III is treated as a stepchild...and especially given how many inactive corps we have in that circuit for 2007.

At the very least, it's time to remove the silly rule of not letting them compete against Division I's during Finals week. So the Division II champion might make semis...or even Finals. So what? They earned it, and they don't need artifical barriers in place.

...none of these, of course, will be talked about, since I'm sure an electronics proposal will be in there somewhere. Meanwhile, we wait for the next ECJ/Cap Reg/Magic.

I like those ideas

I also like the fines for warming up too close to the show (I should not hear or see their silks while other corps are on the field

really want longer shows

Many of today’s show seemed rush, they rarely ever stop, perhaps if the shows are longer we won’t be plagued by all that pit filler they call transition music…it’s nice to have an end to a song and a start (and I love shows starting before the gun /marching warm up whatever)

I like to see something that emphasize clean drills again, maybe an M and M award? I think that we have too much sloppy on the field these days, yeah I know…but the shows are so tough…we’ll they are too tough then…I use to look for the rare errors in the top corps on finals…now I try to ignore the all to common errors during finals…the balance has tipped to accepting too much slop…rater see a ‘lesser show’ that is done cleanly rewarded over shows that the kids can not really pull off…there is an art to being clean, its were the kids can get points and takes some of the power back from the show designers and puts it on the field

DCI approves music.....oh no, never..bad idea

Interesting. However, the strict intent would be to review music for objective qualities (melodic development, dynamic range, etc.) rather than subjective qualities (style of music, number of songs, etc.).

Melody is not objective, and dynamics on paper say nothing of how it will be performed in the end. I think quite a few of us can think of some top-placing shows done in the past that arguably don't have much dynamic range.

Interesting. However, the strict intent would be to review music for objective qualities (melodic development, dynamic range, etc.) rather than subjective qualities (style of music, number of songs, etc.).

Is this intended just to get feedback from judges, kind of like a preseason critique? This kind of sounds interesting...

I have no problem with shows 'starting' before the salute...they're not being judged until the 'you may enter the field' acknowledgement.

I'm doubting whether judges do this. If they were a real stickler to this rule, wouldn't you hear some effect judges say "Uhhh, it sounds like you started in the middle of your show without any development, this makes no sense..."? Maybe it's not a huge difference because it's less than half a minute of extra show, but I doubt judges close their eyes or plug their ears until the announcer says go.

Edited by fourouttheforty

Is this intended just to get feedback from judges, kind of like a preseason critique? This kind of sounds interesting...

Exactly. They'll be judged on the objective quality of the music.

I also agree that the pre-season approval thing is exactly opposite of the principals that DCI was founded on, and a bad idea in terms of fostering creativity. Would Star 93 have made the cut? As different, controversial, and abstract as it was compared to all of the other shows at the time, maby not... what a loss that would've been.

I agree with Tubamann... that's the job of the corps' design teams. If they fail or acheive with their design, the responsibility is on them. Why give that responsibility/liability to someone else?

Would Star 93 have made the cut?

Yes. It's Barber and Bartok, of course it would. And it's not so much "making the cut" as in, "just fix some of these flaws in the music here and here."

Yes. It's Barber and Bartok, of course it would. And it's not so much "making the cut" as in, "just fix some of these flaws in the music here and here."

Well, at the time, especially early in the season, there were apparently a lot of people who didn't think that the show was at all melodic. Some people still don't.

And, in terms of the "fix this" thing, is that not what the judges tapes and critiques during the entire length of the season are for?

Edited by Keith Laubhan

- All music arranged must be approved by DCI for maturity of writing, musical development, melodic content, cohesiveness and flow, and entertainment value

I think that's what's called "judges giving a score."