Best movie about music or musicians

Which movie about music and/or musicians is the best ever?  

112 members have voted

1. 1. Well, which one?????

• Mr. Holland's Opus (1995)
    • Drumline (2002)
    • Amadeus (1984)
    • Immortal Beloved (1994)
    • American Pie Presents Band Camp (2005)
    • Sister Act 1 and or 2 (1992, 1993)
    • Brassed Off (1996)
    • Music Of The Heart (1999)
    • The Fighting Temptations (2003)
    • Les Choristes (2004)
    • Strike Up The Band (1940)
    • Mo' Betta Blues (1990)
    • The Glenn Miller Story (1953)
    • other

"It's not a trumpet, it's a bloody euphonium!"

Yeah, the British humor is good, but the cockney accents made me turn on the subtitles...

They're actually Yorkshire accents, northern England (Barnsley, specifically) as opposed to the East end of London, which is where the Cockneys came from.

Anyway.

Of the movies on the list, Amadeus is the best film by far. And Tom Hulce did get a nomination for Best Actor, but lost to F. Murray Abraham.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll second the nomination for "The Red Violin" but would vote for Mr. Holland's Opus. Also would nominate "Shine." I love "Brassed Off" but get distracted by non-musicians "playing" the horns.

"The Red Violin"

by Francois Girard

Music by John Corigliano

Stars Samuel L. Jackson, Greta Scacchi, Colm Feore, Don McKellar, Jason Flemyng and Sylvia Chang and many others.

Source: http://www.sonyclassical.com/music/63010/

"A tale filled with passion, pageantry, tragedy, romance, adventure and intrigue, The Red Violin centers around a contemporary auction in which a priceless violin with an infamous past is placed on the block. As the bidding mounts, the story flashes back to signature chapters in the violin's history and the inevitable impact it had on all those who possessed it. From its creation in 17th-century Italy, to the court of imperial Vienna in the 1790s, to Victorian England in the late 1800s, to the People's Republic of China in the mid-1960s, the dramatic story spans continents and sweeps centuries. At the center of the story is a dark secret that is only revealed at the film's suspenseful and sensational finale.

Academy Award® Winner -- Best Original Score

Nominated for a Grammy Award for Best Instrumental Composition Written for a Motion Picture or Television

Nominated for a Golden Globe Award as Best Foreign Film

Edited by Dr Beat

My vote goes to Mo' Better Blues.

And IMHO, Drumline gets ragged on unfairly in these quarters. I think some people expect the movie to reflect their experience or their style of playing. The movie is about HBC marching bands and their style. Once you accept that, it's a very entertaining movie.

My vote goes to Mo' Better Blues.

And IMHO, Drumline gets ragged on unfairly in these quarters. I think some people expect the movie to reflect their experience or their style of playing. The movie is about HBC marching bands and their style. Once you accept that, it's a very entertaining movie.

You're right, it does get dissed alot for those reasons. I thought it was full of good "band virtues" like One Band One Sound, not playing exclusively pop music, the importance of reading music notation, etc.

I love the scene at camp where they show every section leader talking to the section about how THEIR section is the most important in the band.

"We're the trumpets, we're the melody!"

"We're the saxes, we are the harmony, there is no soul without us!"

"The tubas are the most important section, we're the bottom, the bass, we hold everyone else up!"

"Without the drumline, there's no pulse. Without a pulse, you're dead!"

Notice how they didn't show what the flute and clarinet sections said to each other?? :P

I think the name of the movie is "The Competition" (starring Richard Dreyfus incidently). I just always thought they did a pretty good job of showing the high pressure nature of trying to break in to the professional musician field.

Yes that is the name of the Film. Amy Irving is that one also. That Prokofiev Piano Concerto No.3...all time favorite concerto..lightening fast speeds.