2006 Is Coming To A Close

i have to ask... why should the goal of a drum corps be to "win" or "almost win" or "keep other corps from winning" when the members themselves have so little control over who actually wins?

i guess the real question is this: who cares how many titles the cadets and cavaliers have won?

The members and alumni of the Cadets and Cavaliers... and probably the Blue Devils...and just about every other corps that wants to win at least once or twice.

EDIT: I forgot about the fans too. Fans care.

Edited by Stick Stack

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the junior corps side, I'd have to say the emergence of Bluecoats as a perennial top-5 contender, and a 4th place finish this year.

Man I'm gonna get in trouble for this...

2 years does not a "perennial top-5 contender" make.

I'm waiting to see how they do in 2007 before making that call. Let's remember - with how close the scores were in that 4-6 tier, they could have just as easily ended up out of the top 5. Friday night they were in 6th.

That's not to say that they didn't deserve 4th or to take anything away from the achievement of the Canton crew. I think it's great they broke into the top 4. But I wouldn't be surprised to see the regular top 5 back in place in 2007 (Cavies, Cadets, BD, Phantom, SCV). It almost happened in 2006.

:blink: Let me know when it's safe to come back out.

Man I'm gonna get in trouble for this...

2 years does not a "perennial top-5 contender" make.

I'm waiting to see how they do in 2007 before making that call. Let's remember - with how close the scores were in that 4-6 tier, they could have just as easily ended up out of the top 5. Friday night they were in 6th.

That's not to say that they didn't deserve 4th or to take anything away from the achievement of the Canton crew. I think it's great they broke into the top 4. But I wouldn't be surprised to see the regular top 5 back in place in 2007 (Cavies, Cadets, BD, Phantom, SCV). It almost happened in 2006.

:blink: Let me know when it's safe to come back out.

No you're definitely right.

This thread has been around before.

I still say five in seven, the most winning decade in the DCI era.

This has been done before. So winning 5 in 7 is not new and not unprecendented. The Blue Devils won 5 of 7 between 1976 and 1982. The Cadets almost did it between 1983 and 1990 (5 in 8). BD almost won 5 in 6 between 1994 and 1999 (not winning in 95, yet they were undefeated much of the season).

Now if the Cavaliers win this coming season, then 6 in 8 has NOT been done, and that would be amazing.

Jonathan

From my perspective, I would say the following things have been the biggest stories of the year.

1. DCI Moving their headquarters to Indianapolis and signing on to hold the championships there 10 of the next 11 years.

2. Crossmen moving to Texas. Whether you were for the move or against the move, it is clear that this was a major shift in location of a powerful and long-time DCI finalist corps. Their success, or lack thereof, will affect the decision making of so many other corps who are perhaps in major financial trouble.

3. Cadets 2006 show. Let's be clear here, as passionate as we all are about our beloved corps, whoever that happens to be, the bottom line is that this show generated more talk and discussion than any other throughout the summer. There is no disputing this. Whether you were on the side of liking their show, or whether you hated it, you can't deny that it was news...BIG NEWS! It wasn't that the show broke any new ground, but it was how it was put together. No corps in the history of this activity had put together a show quite like that. Others have used amps, and Crown even used vocalists, and props are certainly not new (think SCV in the 80s); but for the Cadets 2006 we were witnessing something strange, out there, unique, and something that clearly took us where we have never been. Many liked it, many did not, and a few (like me) found both good and bad.

4. Troopers not touring for the first time in a LONG TIME! Glad to have them back.

5. Bluecoats continuing their climb up the DCI ladder.

I personally think that having finals in Indy every year is a loss to the activity. I like having finals in a different place every year. I could, however, get behind finals in Madison every year.

I also get the sense that there are people out there that seem to think Cadets 2006 is going to be another Star 1993. I could care less about the matter, but it is the impression I get.

Is PR going to win? I don't think they will. They have just never been able to put all the pieces together at once. They've got 1996, but when I look at PR and BD side by side that year, BD was the better corps.

I hope Crossmen gets free of YEA soon. The sooner the better. The move is good.

And on the matter of all this Blue Stars hype: The show last year was easy and I was not impressed. Glad to see they are enjoying success and best of luck to them, but they've got a ways to go. If I remember correctly, the last corps that everyone thought was going to make finals every year was Magic.

My opinion, in no particular order:

1. The Indy announcement. This will have a profound effect on the activity over the next ten years IMHO.

2. The Cadets show. Personally, I hated it. Yet my children learned to like it. Guess I'm showing my age.

3. Blue Stars shocking climb up from Div. III - II - I. Based on their current stability in finances, quality staff, rumored big tryout numbers, stong alumni base, etc., I can see them returning as a perennial finalist again. They have 40+ strong years of history that other corps making this leap have not had before.

4. Crossmen move to TX. It may not help them as much as some people have said for this year, but I believe that, over time, they will profit competitively and financially from this move. This is a corps that deserves some good years operationally.

5. The continued loss of Div. II and III corps. If these units do not find a way outside of DCI to survive, this level will be gone within 5-7 years. Personally, I agree with the suggestions that they approach DCA for some support. With that organization's huge growth in many areas of the country, they could be sanctioning as many or more shows than DCI in a few years.

pretty big year for drum corps in general i'd say. quite a bit more "news" happened this year than any previous year (the ones i've marched at least)

kind of a cool transition period to be a part of, although some of the transitions i don't agree with-like the indy move, which is probably the biggest announcement to me.

i think most of the news has been mentioned, but i wanted to add that competition elsewhere in div. 1 was stepped through the three years i marched-the hunt for 11/12 place and even to make it into semi-finals was just a flat out dog fight. maybe a little more of a push from certain corps would've put them into finals.

my caption in 2004 said one of the smartest things about drum corps i ever heard: "there are two places you want to be (as far as scores and placement are concerned), fighting for the title, or fighting to make finals for the first time."

Is PR going to win? I don't think they will. They have just never been able to put all the pieces together at once. They've got 1996, but when I look at PR and BD side by side that year, BD was the better corps.

But they still won the title!! :P

This has been done before. So winning 5 in 7 is not new and not unprecendented. The Blue Devils won 5 of 7 between 1976 and 1982. The Cadets almost did it between 1983 and 1990 (5 in 8). BD almost won 5 in 6 between 1994 and 1999 (not winning in 95, yet they were undefeated much of the season).

Now if the Cavaliers win this coming season, then 6 in 8 has NOT been done, and that would be amazing.

Jonathan

Since we are using the word "almost".........then The Cavaliers "almost" pulled off the 4-peat in 2003, being undefeated until the last two weeks!! If they did then it would of been 6 out of 7 between 2000-2006!! :P