Ireland

Any corps from Ireland?

Any????

Hey John,

I think the closest you'll come to the motherland drumcorps is the Reilly Raiders from the Phila area....They have been playing Irish music for most of their existance and just returned to Ireland for a St. Patricks Day parade, I think in Dublin....The details are sketchy for me but I'm sure someone else will have details if you need them.....

Pgh Guy

John G

I believe there was one in Dublin at one time, but no 100% of the details or how competitive they were.

That is something that would interest me though!

Thanks for the insite so far, but I'm not realy looking for Irish music, I'm realy looking for a reason to go to Ireland, and I think going to see drum corps is a good enough reason for me.

Free beer to anyone who helps :drool:

John

That's something that's always puzzled me. Both the UK and the Continent have some outstanding corps. None in Ireland that I know of though, which is hard to figure since the country certainly has the talent to produce a really good one. Maybe someday a director will come along and take the bull by the horns. It would be nice to see. :)

That's something that's always puzzled me. Both the UK and the Continent have some outstanding corps. None in Ireland that I know of though, which is hard to figure since the country certainly has the talent to produce a really good one. Maybe someday a director will come along and take the bull by the horns. It would be nice to see. :)

I think the problem is that there's not a tradition of musical marching units like field marching bands to draw from like there is in North America.

John Johnson pretty much started DCUK when he saw SCV and realized THAt was the sound and style he was looking for in he band he was running at the time...it grew from there....but even with the increased interest in Eurpose, there still isn;t a pool of talent to draw from for our particular performance style...

The same would hold true for any particularly Irish art form over here....

Any corps from Ireland?

Any????

There is a Drum and Bugle Corps in Ireland from Arklow, a short drive south of Dublin, by the name of Inbhear Mor BNS of Arklow, County Wicklow, Ireland. They went inactive after the 1999 season but were reactivated in 2004 and, based on corpsreps.com they have already placed their repertoire for 2007. My wife and I are presently planning a trip to Ireland for some time in September and I am planning on getting down to Arklow to check them out if it fits into our itinerary.

Any corps from Ireland?

Any????

Actually, the World Champion drum corps is from Ireland, St. Laurence O'Toole.

http://www.slotpb.com/

and the World Champion for the 5th time is from N. Ireland, Field Marshall Montgomery.

http://www.fmmpb.com/news.htm#Fifth_World_Title_For_FMMPB

Of course, those are pipe bands though! Today, even in the US, there are more pipe bands than drum and bugle corps. What we think of as "drum and bugle corps" did not develop in the UK and continent like it did here. They have corps of drums, which includes fifes and bugles, but I believe the "drum corps" are copies of the American variety. Brass bands are also very big in the old country, but the military bands march in stadiums.

Go to Ireland for the pubs and music, not American drum corps! :mmm:

Or Horlick Field I suppose! :drool:

Or a tailgate with Cavalier Ed or TheMadMajor!!! :drool: