• beyond 2011
  2. 2. Will it be held in the South

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Will it be held in the Midwest

• Yes
    • No

(snip)

Being over the long Labor Day week end the Corps would all have time to go At Least that far. Travel costs would be the biggest problem. But, for a National/World Title,

they should be willing to do what many of the New, West - Centeral - and South Corps have been doing for years now.

Besides, the VFW and American Legion had Nationals before DCA. I know that Corps like Rochester Crusaders, Hawthorne Caballeros, New York Skyliners, Reading Buccaneers, and CT. Hurricanes (just to name a few), have all won National Titles in some pretty far off places. Like, Miami, Los Angales, New Orleans, Atlanta, Dallas, Minnieapolis and Portland, Oregon. And all of those were during the time when all were SENIOR only Corps. So it is not Impossible for these Corps to travel to a Big Title show now.

(snip)

Thank you for posting the above message.

Rice

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you for posting the above message.

Rice

Rice;

Here is a question off topic, but might bring back a memory for you too!

Do you remember competeing in an indoor (small drill/standstill) show at the Seattle Center Coliseum, in 1967?

If you were in it. I saw you compete that day. It was sponsored by the Seattle Thunderbirds. It had Corps from Washington, Oregon and British Columbia. (I was stationed on the USS Ranger at Bremerton. Addicted Drum Corps people will always find a connection.)

Edited by LucysSkylinerAlumni

i think 2010 and in the south because, i just thought 2010 and the south would be warm, the midwest could become cold towards championships

Rice;

Here is a question off topic, but might bring back a memory for you too!

Do you remember competeing in an indoor (small drill/standstill) show at the Seattle Center Coliseum, in 1967?

If you were in it. I saw you compete that day. It was sponsored by the Seattle Thunderbirds. It had Corps from Washington, Oregon and British Columbia. (I was stationed on the USS Ranger at Bremerton. Addicted Drum Corps people will always find a connection.)

LucysSkylinerAlumni,

Actually, I do remember the show!

However, I was not performing with the Sentinels that year. In 1967 I was a member of the Sentinels feeder corps, The Guardsmen.

I did attend the show as a spectator though and was amazed how good the Seattle Shamrocks were. I believe they won every show they entered that year and '68 as well if I remember correctly. Undefeated for two years in a row!

Remember them by any chance? (Green uniforms)

Nice to hear someone remembers the old NWDCA circuit and some of the shows. It rarely ever gets mentioned on this forum at all. <**>

The USS Ranger, huh?

I realize there were about four thousand of you guys on the Ranger, but.................... Did you happen to know a Steve Carter by any chance? He was stationed aboard the USS Ranger when it was deployed off the shore of Vietnam in '71 and '72. A short, muscular type guy with blond hair. He originally enlisted from Illinois, I believe. Just curious.

Addicted Drum Corps people will always find a connection.

BWHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! A great quote and very true too!

Rice

Of course someone down here would have to submit a bid.... :)

We're probably a few years away from that in Nashville right now. We're concentrating on getting our own house in order before inviting guests down.

that makes smart business sense. I'd love to head down your way!

LucysSkylinerAlumni,

Actually, I do remember the show!

However, I was not performing with the Sentinels that year. In 1967 I was a member of the Sentinels feeder corps, The Guardsmen.

I did attend the show as a spectator though and was amazed how good the Seattle Shamrocks were. I believe they won every show they entered that year and '68 as well if I remember correctly. Undefeated for two years in a row!

Remember them by any chance? (Green uniforms)

Nice to hear someone remembers the old NWDCA circuit and some of the shows. It rarely ever gets mentioned on this forum at all. <**>

The USS Ranger, huh?

I realize there were about four thousand of you guys on the Ranger, but.................... Did you happen to know a Steve Carter by any chance? He was stationed aboard the USS Ranger when it was deployed off the shore of Vietnam in '71 and '72. A short, muscular type guy with blond hair. He originally enlisted from Illinois, I believe. Just curious.

BWHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!! A great quote and very true too!

Rice

Yes I do remember the Shamrocks. Percussianought's Flamingos and Rangers. The Flamingos wore Pink and Black. It was a nice show. About 10 corps!

No I do not know the guy. He was after my stay in on the Ranger.

I also went to a field show in San Leandro, Calif. Sponsored by the Royal Family. Pinole Princemen beat out Santa Clara Vanguard and some other.

While stationed in Pensacola I helped instruct the local corps there too. The Pensacola Diamonds in 1960. I enjoyed meeting the Corps people everywhere I went.

Then while ta Brunswick, Maine. I went to watch the Pine Tree Warriors practice in Lewiston, Maine.

Back on Subject. That is why I am so PRO expantion. Would love for the local people of Nashville, Cleveland, or Atlanta get to see the TOP DCA Corps. Although I realise that getting the 10,000 or so in the stands would be a lot tougher than in one of the standard NE locations.

I hear rumors that we may be getting an All Age Corps in the Chicago area. So there's another area that should be able to put some people in the stands.

Edited by LucysSkylinerAlumni

Sorry about the off topic stuff folks.

Now, back to your regularly scheduled debate:

I voted for beyond 2011. I wish it would happen sooner though. Don't we all? Ok, most of us?

I also voted "Yes" for the possibility of holding the championship in both the South and the Midwest by "default". I did this because there's only one other direction or region to go to besides these two and that would be the West. Given the current state of the politics in DCA I don't see that happening anytime soon. So, the South or the Midwest will undoubtedly come first.

Flame away!

Rice

Dunno....it sure felt like SOMETHING froze over last year!!

I suspect it'll be held farther south (Winston-Salem, for example) before it heads toward the midwest.....and West Coast? Never happen....'course, they said that about DCI, too....

I heard that Winston Salem was a quagmire from the rain.

That getting the pits equipment onto the field was a nightmare.

I heard that Winston Salem was a quagmire from the rain.

That getting the pits equipment onto the field was a nightmare.

I'm not sure what your point is here.

If you are merely commenting that the weather conditions were less than perfect, then fine. No problem. That won't always be the case and the problem will take care of itself.

However, "IF" what you are saying is that DCA should never look at holding another show in Winston Salem ever again because it rained before the show............?

Hmmm..............

If having to guarantee that it won't rain is one of the requirements necessary for a city to host a DCA show, then perhaps DCA should never reconsider Rochester again for the very same reason?

Rice

i think 2010 and in the south because, i just thought 2010 and the south would be warm, the midwest could become cold towards championships

I like warm. Warm is good. :)

Fran