1. 1. Outside the Northeast

• beyond 2011
  2. 2. Will it be held in the South

• Yes
    • No
  3. 3. Will it be held in the Midwest

• Yes
    • No

I heard that Winston Salem was a quagmire from the rain.

That getting the pits equipment onto the field was a nightmare.

It was, but only because the track area surrounding the field was being refurbished at the time.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not sure what your point is here.

If you are merely commenting that the weather conditions were less than perfect, then fine. No problem. That won't always be the case and the problem will take care of itself.

However, "IF" what you are saying is that DCA should never look at holding another show in Winston Salem ever again because it rained before the show............?

Hmmm..............

If having to guarantee that it won't rain is one of the requirements necessary for a city to host a DCA show, then perhaps DCA should never reconsider Rochester again for the very same reason?

Rice

the weather wasnt a factor for not coming back at all....cant help that no matter where you go except a dome. Tho Wake did announce further field renovations that would have interfered with DCA in 06

Edited by jeffsnewjetta

So far, I have yet to enjoy a DCA weekend in Rochacha. Done it twice now, 10 years apart. Both times sucked. Entirely different reasons. I've never like Rochester and never will. Personally, I vote for bringing championships back to Allentown. Never had a problem there. Ever. (I know... submit a bid...) Anyways... I think the biggest problem with having championships outside the Northeast has nothing to do with being willing to travel or not. Folks need to keep in mind that yes, several corps spend thousands of dollars traveling the entire span of the continent to compete at DCA in the evil Northeast. On the other hand, the money we horrible, no good Northeast corps don't spend traveling to championships, get's spent traveling all over the Northeastern states performing competitions every bloody weekend. I'm all for expanding our horizons, it's just that I don't see it beng feasible for at least another decade or so. There needs to be more corps and more shows first. There needs to be more of a countrywide web of sorts, as opposed to isolated regions. The regions are the starting point though. As they grow and strengthen, they can branch further and further till they start to intermingle. And once that happens, and it becomes stable, you will see this activity has become something better than it ever has been before. We can once again become part of the American way of life. Something that more kids want to do and more people want to see. Something that atracts show sponsors. Something that can actually be run as a profitable business. But... until that happens, I don't expect to see championships held anywhere TOO far away.

So far, I have yet to enjoy a DCA weekend in Rochacha. Done it twice now, 10 years apart. Both times sucked. Entirely different reasons. I've never like Rochester and never will. Personally, I vote for bringing championships back to Allentown. Never had a problem there. Ever. (I know... submit a bid...)

maybe you didn't have a problem there ever, but the last year Championships occurred there there were issues with parking in the park during the hurricane. many cars were stuck in the mud, damaged the park in an attempt to get out or gave up before causing too much damage and called for a tow. now with parking being a non-issue in the park, yes if we had bad weather we wouldn't damage the property in the park, but if you think people #####ed about the debacle that was parking in Rochester just wait if we went back there for a DCA Championship. :worthy:

with the PA fair being held in Allentown that same weekend hotels there are already filled up. so to start off with before we even get there, there are 2 key issues that are a mess.

to top it off, Allentown doesn't want us back, so why should we be so interested in wanting them back?

and for the record i personally am not a fan of Rochester. personally if i had my choice , if i saw it again in another 10 years it would be too soon. but i don't get a choice or say in the matter, i go where i am told DCA Championships will be held. there may come a time that i can't attend because they are too far away because of family, work or both. but i also realize they could be practically in my backyard and still have that come up too.

maybe you didn't have a problem there ever, but the last year Championships occurred there there were issues with parking in the park during the hurricane. many cars were stuck in the mud, damaged the park in an attempt to get out or gave up before causing too much damage and called for a tow. now with parking being a non-issue in the park, yes if we had bad weather we wouldn't damage the property in the park, but if you think people #####ed about the debacle that was parking in Rochester just wait if we went back there for a DCA Championship. :worthy:

with the PA fair being held in Allentown that same weekend hotels there are already filled up. so to start off with before we even get there, there are 2 key issues that are a mess.

to top it off, Allentown doesn't want us back, so why should we be so interested in wanting them back?

and for the record i personally am not a fan of Rochester. personally if i had my choice , if i saw it again in another 10 years it would be too soon. but i don't get a choice or say in the matter, i go where i am told DCA Championships will be held. there may come a time that i can't attend because they are too far away because of family, work or both. but i also realize they could be practically in my backyard and still have that come up too.

Great post.

also well said

If I win the Powerball...

The championships would be held in one of the more central locations for drum corps - Minneapolis/St. Paul - and occur at the new retractable-roof Vikings Stadium. I would offer each corps a voucher that would pay 90% of their travel cost via the airlines or by bus, regardless of their point of origin. The "DCA Spectacular" would also include plenty of parties, music performances daily across two vibrant downtowns, and post-show festivities. A hefty budget would be devoted to print, broadcast and cable TV advertising. MBI, Chops and the Governaires would be the host corps.

The attendance for finals would number 15,000+

mspdca01pi9.jpg

Okay, I'm just dreamin'... :)

Edited by Ron H

If I win the Powerball...

The championships would be held in one of the more central locations for drum corps - Minneapolis/St. Paul - and occur at the new retractable-roof Vikings Stadium. I would offer each corps a voucher that would pay 90% of their travel cost via the airlines or by bus, regardless of their point of origin. The "DCA Spectacular" would also include plenty of parties, music performances daily across two vibrant downtowns, and post-show festivities. A hefty budget would be devoted to print, broadcast and cable TV advertising. MBI, Chops and the Governaires would be the host corps.

The attendance for finals would number 15,000+

mspdca01pi9.jpg

Okay, I'm just dreamin'... :)

GREAT dream....but make it someplace in California....better weather....